Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milan - Tottenham craziness

Milan - Tottenham craziness

Crazy Champions League match today between these two teams. Rino "Mad Dog" Gattuso lived up to his name and was mixing it up with Peter Crouch, one of the Spurs coaches, and anyone else who got in his way. Milan was down 1-0 in the 93rd minute, and Ibrahimovic scored what should have been the equalizer but it was called off on a B.S. foul.

Then things got crazy. As the players were shaking hands Gattuso went after the Spurs coach again, getting in his face, and headbutted him.

Ugly game. The second leg in England should be interesting.

Saw the highlights - was indeed an ugly match in terms of those incidents. Flamini with a shocking two footed tackle too - off couse he played for bitter Spurs-rivals Arsenal for much of his career.

It's always an interesting contrast in styles and philosophies in these European matches. The Italian football philosophy is quite opposed to the English one in many ways. Then you have the fact that there is probably quite a bit of emnity between the Italian and English leagues in terms of the Serie A was the best league in the world for many years, with AC Milan the standard bearers for that league and the definitely the best club in world football for over a decade.

But the Premier dominates world football in terms of money now, bar the two clubs playing in Spain. The Italian league is a poor cousin in terms of football to England, and that is because of money - and I'm sure that rubs the Italians the wrong way. Once the glamour league of world football their best teams are being edged by former non-entities like Tottenham Hotspur, whose trophy cabinet would be a tenth of the size of the Italian giants.

Spurs are a very well managed club - they have the benefit of playing in London; they have a patronage of financially well-off and well-connected businessmen, especially of Jewish origin. But you can't seriously compare the history of Spurs with that of the great A C Milan - yet it is Spurs who are now the better side, stocking their ranks with some excellent talent, funded by the best TV rights deal in world football.

The Gattuso head-butt represents what a lot of Italians feel about these new English interlopers into Europe, teams like Chelsea and Manchester City, clubs with next to no history compared to the great clubs of the Continent.

It's a shame Italian football has devolved to this, but that's the hard and harsh reality of the modern game, and this is not to say Milan aren't still capable of matching it in Europe. But matching it will never cut it for a club of that stature. Like Madrid they want to dominate, because that is all they've ever done.

I expect a meek Milan to fold in the second leg, and Spurs to roll on to the next stage.

All Pro
    Didn't get to see the match. I know you're a Milan fan so what's your thoughts heading into WHL in a few weeks? As for gattuso, What was that stemming over? Bad challenge that wasn't booked?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Saw the highlights - was indeed an ugly match in terms of those incidents. Flamini with a shocking two footed tackle too - off couse he played for bitter Spurs-rivals Arsenal for much of his career.

It's always an interesting contrast in styles and philosophies in these European matches. The Italian football philosophy is quite opposed to the English one in many ways. Then you have the fact that there is probably quite a bit of emnity between the Italian and English leagues in terms of the Serie A was the best league in the world for many years, with AC Milan the standard bearers for that league and the definitely the best club in world football for over a decade.

But the Premier dominates world football in terms of money now, bar the two clubs playing in Spain. The Italian league is a poor cousin in terms of football to England, and that is because of money - and I'm sure that rubs the Italians the wrong way. Once the glamour league of world football their best teams are being edged by former non-entities like Tottenham Hotspur, whose trophy cabinet would be a tenth of the size of the Italian giants.

Spurs are a very well managed club - they have the benefit of playing in London; they have a patronage of financially well-off and well-connected businessmen, especially of Jewish origin. But you can't seriously compare the history of Spurs with that of the great A C Milan - yet it is Spurs who are now the better side, stocking their ranks with some excellent talent, funded by the best TV rights deal in world football.

The Gattuso head-butt represents what a lot of Italians feel about these new English interlopers into Europe, teams like Chelsea and Manchester City, clubs with next to no history compared to the great clubs of the Continent.

It's a shame Italian football has devolved to this, but that's the hard and harsh reality of the modern game, and this is not to say Milan aren't still capable of matching it in Europe. But matching it will never cut it for a club of that stature. Like Madrid they want to dominate, because that is all they've ever done.

I expect a meek Milan to fold in the second leg, and Spurs to roll on to the next stage.

That's a pretty good analysis, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Another thing that probably really annoys the old timers on Milan is that they have lost in the past two Champions League tournaments to British clubs at home in the San Siro -- Man U and Liverpool. I'm sure they wanted nothing more than to put their foot on the throat of the Spurs and became immensely frustrated when they couldn't. That's why I think Gattuso was so fired up. Also, he may have been trying to rally his team with some really scrappy play and got carried away.

You're right, the Flamini tackle was bad, but Gattuso's headbutt was just plain insane.

I didn't really see the foul on Ibra though. The announcers said it was a clear-cut shove, but they were British anyway and I suspect were being massive homers. I think Milan got robbed of the equalizer.

Veteran
    I agree with BD 100%. Also, personally I love players like Gattuso who wear their heart on their sleeve and are not afraid to go berzerk once in a while. I hate the sanitization of football that's being championed by the premiership. I mean I'm not saying that we should let people kill each other but football matches have become almost like the theater or the opera with most of the seats going to sponsor corporations or fat cats.

I miss players like Vinnie Jones.

Jets Insider VIP
    Milan blows.

End thread/

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    That's a pretty good analysis, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Another thing that probably really annoys the old timers on Milan is that they have lost in the past two Champions League tournaments to British clubs at home in the San Siro -- Man U and Liverpool. I'm sure they wanted nothing more than to put their foot on the throat of the Spurs and became immensely frustrated when they couldn't. That's why I think Gattuso was so fired up. Also, he may have been trying to rally his team with some really scrappy play and got carried away.

You're right, the Flamini tackle was bad, but Gattuso's headbutt was just plain insane.

I didn't really see the foul on Ibra though. The announcers said it was a clear-cut shove, but they were British anyway and I suspect were being massive homers. I think Milan got robbed of the equalizer.
    I thought it was a pretty clear-cut foul. He pushed the defender in the box before receiving the ball and shooting. Anyhow, The refs managed to miss a penalty kick for the Spurs in the 1st minute and, Gattuso blatant shove of the assistant during the game as well, that combined with Flamini's tackle, and AC Milan was incredibly lucky not to be down to 9 on 11 by the 70th minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I thought it was a pretty clear-cut foul. He pushed the defender in the box before receiving the ball and shooting. Anyhow, The refs managed to miss a penalty kick for the Spurs in the 1st minute and, Gattuso blatant shove of the assistant during the game as well, that combined with Flamini's tackle, and AC Milan was incredibly lucky not to be down to 9 on 11 by the 70th minute.
    That's true, I'll concede that. I just think the guy that Ibra supposedly shoved totally hammed it up. He fell down in a different direction than how he was pushed in the back. It looked like just regular jostling in the box to me. It's too bad, that would have been a sick goal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Had that been any other player, he gets a red for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Had that been any other player, he gets a red for that.
    That referee is an idiot. He also missed a clear penalty against Tottenham at the beginning of the game. How is a player who confronts and hits an opposing coach not kicked out? That ref should be banned from any subsequent Champions League, UEFA, and international matches.

Jets Insider VIP
    That referee is an idiot. He also missed a clear penalty against Tottenham at the beginning of the game. How is a player who confronts and hits an opposing coach not kicked out? That ref should be banned from any subsequent Champions League, UEFA, and international matches.
    The friggin sideline judge comes running up 2 seconds later.

The friggin sideline judge comes running up 2 seconds later.
    And what was the fourth official doing? He was right there. Watch, FIFA is going to make an example of Gattuso and those officials.

Jets Insider VIP
    This was during a recent France-Brasil friendly. Remind you of a similar foul which didn't get a red?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiYVYX8neAg

This was during a recent France-Brasil friendly. Remind you of a similar foul which didn't get a red?
    Absolutely. Great vid, Raoul.

Jets Insider VIP
    Absolutely. Great vid, Raoul.
    It's frustrating after the NFL season is over, to go back to football and see how easy it would be to ref things better. NFL has it's problems, but at least they've taken measures to reduce stupid non-calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiYVYX8neAg
    Lol @ the commentators... "Ohhhh, OHHHH... oh oh oh oh." Nothing like a kick to the chest to wake you up.

It's frustrating after the NFL season is over, to go back to football and see how easy it would be to ref things better. NFL has it's problems, but at least they've taken measures to reduce stupid non-calls.
    IMO, both sports (and baseball, too) need a booth official with real time ability to communicate with the lead field referee in order to correct a call/non-call.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    That's true, I'll concede that. I just think the guy that Ibra supposedly shoved totally hammed it up. He fell down in a different direction than how he was pushed in the back. It looked like just regular jostling in the box to me. It's too bad, that would have been a sick goal.
    He "hammed it up"? Of course, that's the way it goes these days. I can't believe a fan of italy and italian teams is talking about "hamming it up".

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    He "hammed it up"? Of course, that's the way it goes these days. I can't believe a fan of italy and italian teams is talking about "hamming it up".
    I'm not saying other teams don't do it, I just don't think it was as flagrant a foul as the announcers made it out to be.