Thread: Mayock on Sirius NFL Radio this morning

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayock on Sirius NFL Radio this morning

I caught part of Mayock on Sirius NFL Radio this morning. He said he has 9 DEs with 1st round grades. Watched 3 tapes of Temple games and went WOW over Wilkerson. He sees the 1st round being a D round with the 2nd and 3rd being OL & WRs..

Mayock said he feels good about his evaluation of approx 150 players which gets into the 5th round...After that he admits he isn't as strong, doesn't have the resources or time to evaluate all 250+ players. He likes to watch 3 games tapes (more games for QBs) in his evaluations. So for players approx 151+ on he relies on his NFL scouts to provide clips for him..He used the example of "give me a clip ups of all the pass rushing guys converting from college DE to OLB in the pros"

Sorry, nothing earth shattering but I think Mayock is the best and always enjoy info.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson catching da fiah.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this on a quick search...Pretty good

10 NFL Draft Observations from Mike Mayock
    Posted by Anthony Stalter (04/07/2009 @ 12:54 pm)

SI.com’s Peter King shares 10 draft nuggets that he got from Mike Mayock:
    1. “This is by far the worst year for the top 10 that I’ve seen. Down around 18, 20, you’ll get every bit the player you’ll get in the top 10 for a third of the price.”

2. His gut feeling is Detroit’s taking Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the first pick of the draft.

3. “I can’t bang the table for Stafford the way I did for Matt Ryan last year. I don’t see an elite player in him every time I watch, which you need to see if you’re taking a quarterback that high.”

4. Mayock, if he had his choice of first-round picks for talent and value, would be around 22. “The value in this draft is at 15 and beyond.”

5. He says eight or nine tight ends will be drafted in the first three rounds. He loves the best of the bunch, Oklahoma State’s Brandon Pettigrew. (I’d love to see the Bills land him, by the way. Perfect offensive weapon for a coordinator, Turk Schonert, who loves to use the tight end.)

6. He likes Eugene Monroe over Jason Smith, if you’re picking a franchise tackle. “Smith’s got a better upside. Very aggressive. But Monroe’s got the best feet in the draft. He’s a really accomplished technician.”

7. He thinks Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry — who Detroit would play at middle linebacker if the Lions made him the first pick of the draft — would be optimally used at strongside linebacker in the 4-3 because he can cover, he can play physically over the tight end, and he’s got upside pass-rushing ability.

8. He’s scared of Brian Orakpo, the Texas defensive end who’s the apple of a few teams’ eyes in the top half of the first round. “Buyer beware,” Mayock said. “He’s boom or bust. I don’t know if he’s DeMarcus Ware or Vernon Gholston. I’ve seen him have some really good games, and I’ve seen what I considered to be Brandon Pettigrew tearing him apart. The point is, I don’t see it all the time from Orakpo, which concerns me.”

9. Of the elite quarterbacks, he likes USC’s Mark Sanchez the best. “He’s the most ready made for the pro game right now.”

10. If you need a cornerback in this draft, sit it out. There are no corners even well above average, never mind great.

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/04/...m-mike-mayock/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    mayock is excellent at scouting the skill positions... i think he's a little weaker on OL/DL. He's got great sources and can repeat what he hears but he's a safety by trade and QB, CB, S i'd say are his strongest positions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Underclassmen prevalent among top five per position

By Mike Mayock NFL Network
    Published: Jan. 22, 2011 at 04:37 p.m.
    Updated: Feb. 22, 2011 at 03:49 p.m

With the draft process just getting under way, here is a look at the top five prospects by position (underclassmen are indicated by a *). It is too soon to evaluate the quarterback position based on rankings, so they are separated into groups of four.

Quarterback:
    *1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
    2. Jake Locker, Washington
    *3. Cam Newton, Auburn
    *4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
    5. Andy Dalton, TCU

Running back:
    *1. Mark Ingram, Alabama
    2. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
    *3. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
    *4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
    *5. Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

Wide receiver:
    *1. A.J. Green, Georgia
    *2. Julio Jones, Alabama
    3. Titus Young, Boise State
    *4. Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
    *5. Torrey Smith, Maryland

Tight end:
    *1. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
    2. Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin
    3. Luke Stocker, Tennessee
    4. D.J. Williams, Arkansas
    5. Virgil Green, Nevada

Guard/center:
    1. Mike Pouncey, Florida
    2. Danny Watkins, Baylor
    3. Clint Boling, Georgia
    4. John Moffitt, Wisconsin
    5. Rodney Hudson, Florida State

Tackle:
    1. Anthony Castanzo, Boston College
    *2. Tyron Smith, Southern California
    3. Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
    4. Nate Solder, Colorado
    T-5. Ben Ijalana, Villanova
    T-5. Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State

Defensive end:
    *1. Robert Quinn, North Carolina
    *2. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
    *3. J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
    4. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
    5. Cameron Jordan, California

Defensive tackle:
    *1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama
    *2. Nick Fairley, Auburn
    *3. Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple
    *4. Corey Liuget, Illinois
    5. Stephen Paea, Oregon State

Outside Linebacker:
    1. Von Miller, Texas A&M
    *2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA
    *3. Justin Houston, Georgia
    4. Bruce Carter, North Carolina
    5. Chris Carter, Fresno State

Inside Linebacker:
    *1. Martez Wilson, Illinois
    2. Colin McCarthy, Miami (Fla.)
    3. Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina
    4. Casey Matthews, Oregon
    5. Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

Cornerback:
    *1. Patrick Peterson, LSU
    2. Prince Amukamara
    *3. Aaron Williams, Texas
    4. Jimmy Smith, Colorado
    *5. Brandon Harris, Miami (Fla.)

Safety:
    *1. Rahim Moore, UCLA
    2. Ahmad Black, Florida
    3. Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson
    4. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma
    5. Deunta Williams, North Carolina

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e-per-position

Perhaps a Mod could change the Title to "Mayock 2011 Draft Info" since many here, including me, feel he is the best among the media draft "experts"...