Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Ryan Kerrigan make it to 30?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Ryan Kerrigan make it to 30?

and if he does... do the Jets want him?

from national football post

There are growing concerns in draft circles about where Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan can play in the NFL. He doesn’t look fluid enough to play in space and lacks the anchor to hold up as a down defensive end. Also, a lot of sources have also said he’s a pretty “blah” athlete and isn’t going to test well at the NFL Combine.
    i know it seems like a long shot but who predicted Kyle Wilson would make it to the Jets last year?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see him there for us at 30 but I doubt it happens- especially with NE picking twice before us. The other guy I feel the same way about is JJ Watt. I would hate to see either of them with the Pats and would love either of them with us.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Outside of elite prospects like Fairley and Dareus, Watt is considered the top 34 end.

I'm pretty sure he'll be long gone before either team picks - he will probably be a top ten to fifteen pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could see Heyward falling to #30 before Kerrigan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I could see Heyward falling to #30 before Kerrigan.
    really? heyward appeals to all defenses... 3-4 and 4-3 and is a legacy pick with Ironhead as his dad. Kerrigan's problem is he's not ideal for any defense (at least as a first rounder). Too small/not fast enough for 4-3, not agile enough for 3-4 OLB. (at least that's what they say)

Put it another way it wouldn't surprise me at all if Brooks Reed ends up higher selected than Ryan Kerrigan, by the time we get to draft. Being a hard worker and productive is great but not enough to be a first round pick. the first round is all about upside.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    really? heyward appeals to all defenses... 3-4 and 4-3 and is a legacy pick with Ironhead as his dad. Kerrigan's problem is he's not ideal for any defense (at least as a first rounder). Too small/not fast enough for 4-3, not agile enough for 3-4 OLB. (at least that's what they say)

Put it another way it wouldn't surprise me at all if Brooks Reed ends up higher selected than Ryan Kerrigan, by the time we get to draft. Being a hard worker and productive is great but not enough to be a first round pick. the first round is all about upside.
    I think it's possible that Jordan, Watt, and maybe even Ballard/Wilkerson go off the board before Heyward.

The possible elbow surgery, inconsistent senior year, and plethora of quality DL prospects could push Heyward down.

I'd personally be thrilled if he fell to #30. Keeping my fingers crossed that it happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I think it's possible that Jordan, Watt, and maybe even Ballard/Wilkerson go off the board before Heyward.

The possible elbow surgery, inconsistent senior year, and plethora of quality DL prospects could push Heyward down.

I'd personally be thrilled if he fell to #30. Keeping my fingers crossed that it happens.
    it's possible but remember he played and dominated with that bad elbow in the cotton bowl. maybe neither player falls to 30 but I dont see why Wilkerson, Ballard or possibly even Watt are better prospects. None of those guys started as true freshman on Ohio State.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    to try to veer this thread back

i could very easily see a scenario where Brooks Reed goes higher than Ryan Kerrigan.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    to try to veer this thread back

i could very easily see a scenario where Brooks Reed goes higher than Ryan Kerrigan.
    You're smoking crack.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    You're smoking crack.
    of course the scenario includes ryan kerrigan getting into a car accident then having his leg amputated...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    of course the scenario includes ryan kerrigan getting into a car accident then having his leg amputated...
    So, you're saying there's a chance?!?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok well remember this post if it happens. other than the bench press, Ryan Kerrigan is not equipped to do well in a combine setting... and he's not really a true fit in either 4-3 or 3-4 defenses... Reed is a better athlete overall and the 3-4 teams will love him. not to mention theres about 9 other possible first round DE this year... there's no compelling reason to take Ryan Kerrigan when there are better players out there.
    Last edited by bitonti; 02-20-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    So, you're saying there's a chance?!?
    as great a chance as lloyd christmas porking mary swanson in that flick...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok well remember this post if it happens. other than the bench press, Ryan Kerrigan is not equipped to do well in a combine setting... and he's not really a true fit in either 4-3 or 3-4 defenses... Reed is a better athlete overall and the 3-4 teams will love him. not to mention theres about 9 other possible first round DE this year... there's no compelling reason to take Ryan Kerrigan when there are better players out there.
    Cool, so just throw away all of Kerrigan's college production out the window and just focus on his performance at the Combine. Reed is just one of these players that comes out of nowhere that people fall in love with. It's the same with Jarron Gilbert and Linval Joseph the past couple of years. I actually like Reed and think that he's going to turn out to be a good player, but to say he's going to be picked before Kerrigan is crazy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    forget about kerrigan or reed.the jets will go for need.the pick will be phil taylor n.t. outside linebacker or defensive end will be a free agent signee.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    and when it doesn't happen you'll just ignore like the dozens of other threads over the years...

besides pulling opinions out of thin air, where do you come up with the idea that kerrigan is not equipped to do well in the combine?? Reed is a better athlete overall???

anything to back this up rather than the usual speculation???

3-4 teams will love Reed who measures 6024/257 but not kerrigan whose 6037/255?? really?? what teams that run a 3-4 prefers an OLB that's almost 1.5 inches shorter???

no compelling reason to take kerrigan?? did it ever dawn on you or factor into the equation the guy has played against competition on a consistent basis the was superior to Reeds'???

besides the fact you were talking about chris carter two months ago when i first brought reed's name to the board, and a few youtube highlights, what's the basis for the claim reed is better than kerrigan???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    besides the fact you were talking about chris carter two months ago when i first brought reed's name to the board, and a few youtube highlights, what's the basis for the claim reed is better than kerrigan???
    In general, I want to know where everyone's boner for Reed came from? He looks like a good player, but I don't know when everyone decided he would be a first round player. Maybe he could shoot into the first round with a good performance at the Combine, but I don't him as being worth anything close to a first round pick now.

If Kerrigan is on the board when we pick, I'd do backflips.. He won't be though, because he'll be a top-15 pick. At worst he'd be a top-20.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i saw Reed and Kerrigan up close and Reed is more explosive. I think he gets better leverage, better agility and can do more things on the football field (coverage etc) Kerrigan has crazy production but so does Bruce Miller. Look at the original post, that's from NFL scouts... not me...Just cause we've had them ranked a certain way all year doesn't mean it's true.

and in this year with all these DE (Bowers, Aldon Smith, Quinn, Clayborn, Heyward, Jordan, Sheard etc) why would it be such a surprise that Kerrigan gets lost in the shuffle?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    i saw Reed and Kerrigan up close and Reed is more explosive. I think he gets better leverage, better agility and can do more things on the football field (coverage etc) Kerrigan has crazy production but so does Bruce Miller. Look at the original post, that's from NFL scouts... not me...Just cause we've had them ranked a certain way all year doesn't mean it's true.

and in this year with all these DE (Bowers, Aldon Smith, Quinn, Clayborn, Heyward, Jordan, Sheard etc) why would it be such a surprise that Kerrigan gets lost in the shuffle?
    bruce miller?? lol- where is the competition he faced compared to kerrigan?? ditto reed compared to kerrigan?? kerrigan faced off against carimi, costanzo and solder at the senior bowl....reed? demarcis love and james carpenter....

as far as your original post- i see no NFL scouts quoted- don't even see the word scouts mentions- just sources, which could be a competing agent..

further i see no comparisons made to reed....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 02-20-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    reed blew up Derek Sherrod on Monday and Nate Solder in the game.

who do you think has the better 3 cone drill. Kerrigan or Reed? who do you think runs a faster 40?