Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deal reached between Nets and Nuggets for Anthony (NOT)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Deal reached between Nets and Nuggets for Anthony (NOT)

ESPN Breaking News is reporting that the Nets reach a tenative agreement to acquire F Carmelo Anthony from Nuggets, Bergen Record (NJ) reports. Deal is pending Anthony agreeing to sign a 3-yr/$65M extension.

According to reports, Nuggets would acquire G Devin Harris, F Derrick Favors, C/F Troy Murphy, G Ben Uzoh and four 1st round draft picks from Nuggets. Nets would acquire G Chauncy Billups, F Sheldon Williams, C/F Melvin Ely and F Renaldo Balkman from Nuggets along with Anthony.

Personally, I dont see this happening in the end because Melo wants to be a Knick plain and simple. This deal only gets done if he signs the extension, and he wont if the Knicks can agree to a deal with Denver within the next few days and let Melo know they are going to trade for him. If this does happen though I will be beyond p*ssed off as a Knicks fan.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 1st round picks... ****ing insane

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what happens when you take for granted Melo becoming a free agent and automatically signing with the Knicks. The Nuggets were not going to let themselves get burned like the Cavs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    This is what happens when you take for granted Melo becoming a free agent and automatically signing with the Knicks. The Nuggets were not going to let themselves get burned like the Cavs.
    Your right. This deal (if it goes through) would give the Nuggets alot more back for losing Melo than any other deal they could of made with the Knicks.

Problem is for the Nets, Nuggets and both their fanbases is if Melo doesnt want to sign that extension with them, then the deal doesnt go through.

In my opinion, this is Denver using the Nets to make the Knicks step up their offer for Melo, because they know Melo isnt signing an extension with anyone besides the Knicks, but wants to also let the Knicks know he wants to be there this season, not next year.

In the end I still think Melo will be a Knick. Time will tell, but I would be very surprised if he doesnt end up with STAT as the best 1-2 punch the Knicks have had in 10-15 years, and probably one of, if not the best, ever in NY.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    nets already "traded for carmelo" this season, until he agrees to sign an extension this is not big news.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Your right. This deal (if it goes through) would give the Nuggets alot more back for losing Melo than any other deal they could of made with the Knicks.

Problem is for the Nets, Nuggets and both their fanbases is if Melo doesnt want to sign that extension with them, then the deal doesnt go through.

In my opinion, this is Denver using the Nets to make the Knicks step up their offer for Melo, because they know Melo isnt signing an extension with anyone besides the Knicks, but wants to also let the Knicks know he wants to be there this season, not next year.

In the end I still think Melo will be a Knick. Time will tell, but I would be very surprised if he doesnt end up with STAT as the best 1-2 punch the Knicks have had in 10-15 years, and probably one of, if not the best, ever in NY.
    The Nuggets are using the Nets to gain leverage over the Knicks however, I don't think it's impossible that Melo ends taking the extension and becoming a Net. If this deal goes through he 1) ends up in New York (after the Nets move to Brooklyn) 2) gets the $65 mil guaranteed extension 3) gets to play with Chauncey Billups and Brook Lopez this season and next and 4) Nets still have cap room for 1 more max free agent in 2012 (either Paul or Howard).

I understand Walsh needs to play hardball however, you can get role players in the nba pretty easily. It's the superstars that are almost impossible to land. I remember years ago people laughing at the Celtics for trading for Allen and KG saying they'd have no depth and guess what? They got an excellent supporting cast for them.

Even the Heat were able to get some supporting role players for the big 3 last off-season. It can be done.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This trade would put an exclamation mark on why the Nets are probably the worst pro sports franchise,other than the Mets, in the world. Giving up 2 starters,one of which is a 6-10 19 year old with unlimited upside,plus 4 first round draft choices, for a guy who's not even one of the ten best players in the NBA, is so stupid,only the Nets would even condider it. He would complement Lopez,though,as Brook would now have another guy next to him that doesn't rebound or play defense either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even the Heat were able to get some supporting role players for the big 3 last off-season.
    Uh, no they didnt. Beside the big 3, the Heat players are awful.

I agree, giving up 4 1st round picks and favors is ridiculous. The Nets wants Melo and then Paul in the offseason so they can have a big 3 with Paul, lopez and melo. but it is a dumb idea as I think they should keep the picks and keep building through the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    This trade would put an exclamation mark on why the Nets are probably the worst pro sports franchise,other than the Mets, in the world. Giving up 2 starters,one of which is a 6-10 19 year old with unlimited upside,plus 4 first round draft choices, for a guy who's not even one of the ten best players in the NBA, is so stupid,only the Nets would even condider it. He would complement Lopez,though,as Brook would now have another guy next to him that doesn't rebound or play defense either.
    Melo isn't one of the top 10 players right now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Melo isn't one of the top 10 players right now?
    Seriously. I would love to see his top 10 list. Lowest I could see him is 7.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not happening..he'll be a Knick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Seriously. I would love to see his top 10 list. Lowest I could see him is 7.
    Here is my top 10,tell me which one of these guys Carmelo is better than. Kobe,Chris Paul,Kevin Durant,Dirk Nowitzki,DWade,Derrick Rose,Dwight Howard,Amare Stodemire,Paul Pierce.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my top 10,tell me which one of these guys Carmelo is better than. Kobe,Chris Paul,Kevin Durant,Dirk Nowitzki,DWade,Derrick Rose,Dwight Howard,Amare Stodemire,Paul Pierce.
    No Lebron?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melo is better than Nowitzki, Pierce, Stoudemire, Howard and Paul.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wheres Lebron? I'll pretend you put him there and say hes bette. I'll give you Kobe, Durant, Howard and Wade.

Paul is debatable but you could make a case for him being above Melo. Carmelo is much better than Pierce, Rose isn't quite at his level yet and better than Amare and Dirk.

If I had to make a top 10 I'd probably go:
    1. Lebron
    2. Kobe
    3. Wade
    4. Durant
    5. Howard
    6. Carmelo
    7. Paul
    8. Rose
    9. Deron
    10. Amare

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players I would take over Melo..

LBJ, Durant, Williams, Rose, Paul, Howard, Bryant, Wade.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Wheres Lebron? I'll pretend you put him there and say hes bette. I'll give you Kobe, Durant, Howard and Wade.

Paul is debatable but you could make a case for him being above Melo. Carmelo is much better than Pierce, Rose isn't quite at his level yet and better than Amare and Dirk.

If I had to make a top 10 I'd probably go:
    1. Lebron
    2. Kobe
    3. Wade
    4. Durant
    5. Howard
    6. Carmelo
    7. Paul
    8. Rose
    9. Deron
    10. Amare

You would take Carmelo over the three best point guards in the league?

Other than that, I agree with the list, JMO I value elite point guards more.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now guys... let me tell you one thing right now. I was watching an ESPN interview with Mello and he said he would love to open up the new stadium in Brooklyn. He was born and raised in Brooklyn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a bad feeling that this ends up getting done.

And saying Melo isn't a top 10 player is absurd, to say the least.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    You would take Carmelo over the three best point guards in the league?

Other than that, I agree with the list, JMO I value elite point guards more.
    It depends on the team style. If you want to place all 3 over Carmelo, you wont here anything from me. Lists like this are subjective obviously. On his best night though, Carmelo can put a team on his back.