Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deal reached between Nets and Nuggets for Anthony (NOT)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to inform you guys but they reported on the michael kay show on 1050 ESPN that if the knicks and nuggets dont agree on a trade that the nuggets will sign off on the deal with the nets and melo will sign the extension so if ur a knicks fan u better hope they stop being stupid and just give up gallinari in the trade

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    You would take Carmelo over the three best point guards in the league?

Other than that, I agree with the list, JMO I value elite point guards more.
    Point guard is a very valuable commodity in the NBA, but could you remember who played point in Chicago or LA (Kobe years)when they won multiple championships?

It is a scoring league and you better be able to play D when it comes to the playoffs. Melo does both.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Point guard is a very valuable commodity in the NBA, but could you remember who played point in Chicago or LA (Kobe years)when they won multiple championships?

It is a scoring league and you better be able to play D when it comes to the playoffs. Melo does both.
    You don't need a pg when you run the triangle, just someone to bring the ball up the court and get the ball out to the wing or into the post.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...nyknicks021811

Knicks improve offer for Anthony

By Marc J. Spears

The New York Knicks have improved their offer to land Carmelo Anthony(notes), proposing a deal that could give the Denver Nuggets three potential starters for their All-Star forward, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Knicks offered a choice of forward Danilo Gallinari(notes) or rookie guard Landry Fields(notes) on Friday, and Denver officials preferred Gallinari, a source with knowledge of the talks said. The proposed deal would send Gallinari, point guard Raymond Felton(notes), forward Wilson Chandler(notes), Eddy Curry’s(notes) expiring contract and a first-round pick to the Nuggets for Anthony, point guard Chauncey Billups(notes) and other role players to make the salaries work.

More From Marc J. Spears’Melo will signal opening of trade market Feb 18, 2011 Miller doesn't make cut for Hall finalists Feb 18, 2011 The Knicks have been reluctant to give up Gallinari, but now appear willing to do so after the Nuggets assembled the framework of a blockbuster trade with the New Jersey Nets in recent days. The Nets’ offer would send rookie forward Derrick Favors(notes), point guard Devin Harris(notes), guard Ben Uzoh(notes), the expiring contract of Troy Murphy(notes) and four first-round picks for Anthony, Billups, Melvin Ely(notes), Renaldo Balkman(notes) and Shelden Williams(notes). The Nuggets would then try to trade Murphy and one or two of the draft picks to a third team.

The Nets’ offer has always been contingent on Anthony agreeing to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension with them. Anthony said on Friday he was unaware of any plans to meet with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov. A source close to Anthony said the forward has never shown much, if any, interest privately in joining the Nets.

A New York native, Anthony has always preferred a trade to the Knicks. He turned down the Nuggets’ extension offer in the summer and said on Friday that he hasn’t spoken with team officials since “November or December” about possibly staying with the team.

“As far as building, which the Nuggets are trying to obviously do in their near future they’re trying to start all over and build up – and don’t try to flip it on me – but New York already has something there,” Anthony said. “I think the city is looking forward to bringing back great basketball and they’re looking forward to that. So if that’s my destination then that’s something that I can bring to that city.”

Anthony would team with All-Star forward Amar’e Stoudemire(notes) as the centerpieces of the Knicks’ rebuilding efforts. Stoudemire said on Friday that he thinks Knicks owner Jim Dolan wants Anthony.

“A combination of us two would be great,” Stoudemire said. “It would definitely uplift the city and the economy and New York.”

Anthony also said he has no interest in becoming a short-team rental player for a team with which he’s not willing to sign an extension. The Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks had previously expressed interest in trading for Anthony without a commitment from him to stay.

“Unless they’re trying to get car services and want to rent a car, I really don’t want to have to be a rental,” Anthony said. “I don’t feel like I’m a rental player. I don’t want to go somewhere and be a rental for two months and then have to deal with this all over again. I don’t want to go there.”

Anthony has clearly tired of the season-long speculation that has surrounded his uncertain future and hopes the Nuggets can resolve his situation by the end of All-Star weekend.

Anthony said last week that he hadn’t ruled out staying with the Nuggets. But he’s also made clear that his concerns about the franchise’s future haven’t been addressed. Billups, Nene, Kenyon Martin and guards J.R. Smith and Arron Afflalo all could be gone before next season and coach George Karl also doesn’t have a new contract.

“They have to do what’s best for them and their organization, too,” Anthony said. “So at the end of the day, they can say, ‘Forget it, we have to take care of our organization, ‘Melo. He did what he had to do here for eight years, but we have to do what we have to do, too.’ ”

“My mind’s boggled right now about this whole situation,” Anthony said. “I wish I could get this thing over with right now and I wish there was just something that was just on the table that the Nuggets could just say, ‘OK, let’s get it done.’ ”

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Knicks can get Anthony, Billups and still keep Fields that would be fabulous. As for those people saying Carmelo isn't a top 10 player that is simply asinine. You can make an argument he's top 5.

The Nets deal would be a steal for the Nets. Favors is the only intriguing part of their package and he is an unknown commodity. Harris is a good, not great pg. The 4 first round picks all immediately lose value because adding Carmelo and Billups to the Nets makes them a playoff team the next few years plus they'd also probably end up with Paul or Howard in 2012. NBA draft picks lose value exponentialy after the lottery. You can cite the players who were not picked in the lottery but the truth is it's very hard to find all-stars once you're not picking in the top 10 unlike the NFL draft where there is plenty of talent after round 1. Go ahead and cite the exceptions to the norm like Carlos Boozer but the truth is if you're not picking in the lottery you're more likely than not just hoping for a decent role player.

Honestly I think Gallo, Chandler, Felton, Curry's expiring deal and a pick is better than unknown commodity Favors, ok but not elite Harris and 4 picks that all will lose value. Call it home cooking but that is the truth.
    Last edited by TerminatorJet; 02-19-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    False Knicks upped the offer and he will be a Knick by the end of the weekend or Monday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    You don't need a pg when you run the triangle, just someone to bring the ball up the court and get the ball out to the wing or into the post.
    Exactly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL at you guys thinking Melo is top 5 player...oh and he DOES NOT play defense...have any of you watched him play seriously? he is great scored..top 5 SCORER yes..thats it..he will be a Knick..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    LOL at you guys thinking Melo is top 5 player...oh and he DOES NOT play defense...have any of you watched him play seriously? he is great scored..top 5 SCORER yes..thats it..he will be a Knick..
    Why will he be a Knick?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    because that is where he wants to play...and these pampered babies usually get their way...this whole thing has turned me off to him...all you hear is about how he wants to play at home and play for a contender...but the main thing is he wants to get his money and tell denver to trade him to the knicks..the nba is a joke and the whole lebron fiasco started it..get ready for the dwight howards and cp3 dramas in a couple of years too..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    because that is where he wants to play...and these pampered babies usually get their way...this whole thing has turned me off to him...all you hear is about how he wants to play at home and play for a contender...but the main thing is he wants to get his money and tell denver to trade him to the knicks..the nba is a joke and the whole lebron fiasco started it..get ready for the dwight howards and cp3 dramas in a couple of years too..
    Spoken like a true Knicks hater. If Carmelo does end up going to the Nets I'm sure you'll be complaining about him playing no defense while he, Billups and Lopez win 50+ games next season and Howard and Paul are waiting in the wings.

No one can be happy for the Knicks. Not the haters, not the casual nba fans who are just used to the Knicks being the butt of jokes, not even some of their fans.

Question: if the Nets do get Carmelo will more than 3 fans actually show up to their games?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Spoken like a true Knicks hater. If Carmelo does end up going to the Nets I'm sure you'll be complaining about him playing no defense while he, Billups and Lopez win 50+ games next season and Howard and Paul are waiting in the wings.

No one can be happy for the Knicks. Not the haters, not the casual nba fans who are just used to the Knicks being the butt of jokes, not even some of their fans.

Question: if the Nets do get Carmelo will more than 3 fans actually show up to their games?
    He'll never go to the Nets, because him on that team with the most overrated center in the NBA would struggle to contend for a playoff spot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    He'll never go to the Nets, because him on that team with the most overrated center in the NBA would struggle to contend for a playoff spot.
    Carmelo with a bad supporting cast would still win around 50 games in the East. Look at the Cavs. Now we're seeing the Cavs had a horrific supporting cast for Lebron b/c that team minus Lebron is historically bad yet when they had Lebron they were dominating in the regular season.

That said Carmelo is already telling people he isn't signing an extension with the Nets. I'd like to apologize to the 6 Nets season tickets holders. Better luck next time.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey maybe it wasn't meant to be....I gotta get me some Puma Clydes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Small market teams are in trouble. Paul will end up with the Knicks and Howard will probably go to a bigger market as well. Teams like the Pacers, Cavs, Wolves and Bucks are screwed. Their only hope is to draft the next star and build a title team in the window before he moves on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it comical that the media keeps on saying the Nuggets prefer the Nets' offer.

No sh-t! The Nets are offering a Hershell Walker-type deal. They're giving up FOUR lottery picks and Favors, who was last yrs lottery pick. If I was the Nuggets GM I'd want that too.

This is a godawful deal for the Nets. They'd be a lottery team for the next 4 yrs with a disgruntled star and no 1st round picks and no FA wanting to sign with them. The best thing to happen to the Nets is for them not to get Melo.

If you're a Nets fan you have to be very concerned about the direction of the team under the Russian. Having a "star" in place when they eventually get to Brooklyn is not the key, fielding a good team is.

As to the Knicks, they have to do the deal. The problem is that the Nuggets keep on moving the goal posts. Yesterday it was reported that the Nuggets wanted Gallo. The Knicks agree, and then today it's reported that the Nuggets changed their minds and want Mosgov and Fields instead of Gallo.

The worry is that if the Knicks agree to that the Nuggets will say they changed their minds again.

It is pure amateur hour in the Nuggets FO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    alanhahn Alan Hahn
    Second source today reiterated Carmelo will NOT sign an extension with the Nets. Melo won't go there publicly to avoid disrespecting Nets.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deron Williams is now telling people he wants to be a Knick in 2012.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/416882...s-player_news/

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post

Spoken like a true idiot..not shocking coming from you...

You want to know why there are people that hate New york fans? because of idiot fans like you...you were sucking lebrons d!%k all summer and the minute he doesnt go to your team he is LeFraud...sorry bro you're the only Fraud...this is not about Nets vs Knicks..that is a no contest..this is the Knicks town always will be...and they are a better team and the better option for Melo, but Melo is not making himself look good..he says he wants this to be over...he controls that..if he really cares about being close to home and playing for a contender..he could just sign with the Knicks in the offseason..but no..he cares first and foremost about the $65 million dollar extension...but trying to explain that you is so difficult...and you are really overrating him to boot..great scorer yes...great player? he hasn't shown that yet..thats all I'm saying and think most people who watch basketball would agree..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This talks are getting so drawn out and annoying. Can't wait until it's over, whatever the outcome may be.