Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm torn now between Taylor and Wilkerson...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn now between Taylor and Wilkerson...

I also think Wilkerson has what it takes to play DE for us, but then I look at Taylor and here's a guy that moves like a 300 pound athletic DT, but he goes 350. Look at him look downright dominant at times against Oklahoma, if he's not double teamed he's wreaking havoc and look at the way he closes on the QB. get this guy down in the 320 range and all of a sudden we might have more than just a NT... He's just intriguing the hell out of me and I wonder if he makes it to us, if not Wilkerson would be a nice consolation, but as a DE.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would add that Ropati's rehab's going well so DE might be less of a dire need than we think, NT might be the way to go to upgrade our front 7 since I don;t have a ton of faith that Big Jenks will be back 100% and even if he is, will he go the whole season? Doubt it and I love Jenks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I also think Wilkerson has what it takes to play DE for us, but then I look at Taylor and here's a guy that moves like a 300 pound athletic DT, but he goes 350. Look at him look downright dominant at times against Oklahoma, if he's not double teamed he's wreaking havoc and look at the way he closes on the QB. get this guy down in the 320 range and all of a sudden we might have more than just a NT... He's just intriguing the hell out of me and I wonder if he makes it to us, if not Wilkerson would be a nice consolation, but as a DE.
    Sounds like a bowling ball with butcher knives..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Sounds like a bowling ball with butcher knives..
    Ugh....UGH

If you didn't have such an awesomely distracting avatar pic, I'd reach through the screen and punch you for reminding me about that fiasco...... (what's worse than wasting a 6th pick of round 1? Wasting 2 1st round picks to get the 4th pick of round 1 on a guy with bad knees....Oy vey)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I kinda agree with this...I'm back on the Taylor bandwagon but yea Wilkerson can play too...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezk5xKe_vHg

Here's some highlights of Taylor against Oklahoma, he looks pretty dominant to me the way he takes on double teams and still manages to get in on the tackle, when they single cover him he comes near to killing the QB several times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mods can you move this to the draft forum? I posted it here by mistake. Thanks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I think I kinda agree with this...I'm back on the Taylor bandwagon but yea Wilkerson can play too...
    Yea you are buddy! Lol I am glad you have joined me on the dark side. My roommate in undergrad used to comment that I was probably the only human being would be excited by and be raving about some 340lb nose tackle in the middle of November.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's Wilkerson against Penn State lining up mostly at DE, very active with his hands and shows good burst, at times is too much for the tackle to handle one on one.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssOjK3D6fFQ

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slik: I am here is WPB on 45 th Street. But I am leaving tomorrow but I will be back if my health improves. I prefer Taylor. That would solidify Rex's scheme a lot. Give him adominant NT and he will give us a big winner.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezk5xKe_vHg

Here's some highlights of Taylor against Oklahoma, he looks pretty dominant to me the way he takes on double teams and still manages to get in on the tackle, when they single cover him he comes near to killing the QB several times.
    If that's a highlight reel hen it's poor. Taylor was being handled on half the plays

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love drafting a young guy that can play NT, Pouha is fine for now but 32 years old? Its time to draft a youngster and play him at DE for now.

Ropati has a chance to be a player, but so does Marcus Dixon who the Jets are high on. Then you got Mike Devito who showed hes a quality player and a really good run stuffer.

We could youth a young guy that can create pressure and also anchor gaps

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    If that's a highlight reel hen it's poor. Taylor was being handled on half the plays

Dude are you high? Taylor played himself a hell of a game here, look at the way he takes on blocks and sheds them and pursues the ball carrier, this guy is a load that will need constant attention at the next level. His skills will translate because he's nearly 360 and look at the way he moves, Taylor is clearly a first round talent and the best NT in this draft.

Show me when he was handled exactly.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 02-19-2011 at 10:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtime Jets fan View Post
    Ugh....UGH

If you didn't have such an awesomely distracting avatar pic, I'd reach through the screen and punch you for reminding me about that fiasco...... (what's worse than wasting a 6th pick of round 1? Wasting 2 1st round picks to get the 4th pick of round 1 on a guy with bad knees....Oy vey)

Robertson was 6.3 305 and we asked him to play Nt when it was obvious he had no power to stand his ground. He was much more effective as an under tackle, but we had nothing else there and on top of that he had bad knees. Taylor is a different animal, it's apples and oranges. The guys we should be comparing him to are Wilfork and Jenkins. If you look at the guy he has a very strong build, does not look like a fat slob like Cody last year and this guy can actually. Look at those highlights from Oklhoma and notice how he spins around and makes tackles, he's extremely nimble and agile for a guy so big. Not as raw as some make him out to be and very active for his size.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    lol- highlight reel?? did you notice its a single game against oklahoma?? did you notice the double teams against taylor in the middle???

guess not...not a big taylor fan but give the guy credit as, compared to Cody a year ago, he's heading the right direction...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think NT or DE is such a bad first round need. OLB and CB are probably worse needs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    guess not...not a big taylor fan but give the guy credit as, compared to Cody a year ago, he's heading the right direction...
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2:30 on that Phil Taylor video, looks like Kris Jenkins on that move.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy with either player. Lean towards Taylor b/c effective NT's are so hard to find and we have no depth but Wilkerson has plenty of talent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude are you high? Taylor played himself a hell of a game here, look at the way he takes on blocks and sheds them and pursues the ball carrier, this guy is a load that will need constant attention at the next level. His skills will translate because he's nearly 360 and look at the way he moves, Taylor is clearly a first round talent and the best NT in this draft.

Show me when he was handled exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    lol- highlight reel?? did you notice its a single game against oklahoma?? did you notice the double teams against taylor in the middle???

Oops! Wrong video wrong name

I like Talyor but I don't like Wilkerson

Got the impression from Wilkerson that his Play seems like it needs more polishing.
    At 0:23 he's one on one and really bites on the inside move by Royster.
    At 0:36 he takes himself out of the play again
    At 0:51 while quick and double teamed doesn't establish the line of scrimmage and gets taken for a ride
    1:11 Doesn't really fire off the ball or establish anythign one on one int he pass rush
    1:44 would have been blown out of the play if his teammate didn't make a good play
    1:55 Does a good job using his hands and establishing himself but doesn't shed fast enough to get anything more than an arm tackle

etc

Just doesn't impress me