Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: I'm torn now between Taylor and Wilkerson...

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Bingo.

    How many sacks did Ngata get last season? 5.5 Wilfork? 2.0 Casey Hampton? 1.0

    I love it when people say "this NT prospect has no pass rush" well duh. Their job is not to sack the QB that's primarily the DE's, OLB's and whoever's blitzing. A good nose will eat up blockers up the middle to make those guys' job easier.
    lol- right, cause Taylor is comparable to Ngata/Wilfork/Hampton when they entered the league.....

    yet another pfail.....

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    lol- right, cause Taylor is comparable to Ngata/Wilfork/Hampton when they entered the league.....

    yet another pfail.....
    I never said Taylor was going to be as good as any of those players. The only thing I said was that Nose Tackles' primary job is to occupy blockers so other players on defense can get to the QB on passing downs. Wow, what a far-out statement.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    I never said Taylor was going to be as good as any of those players. The only thing I said was that Nose Tackles' primary job is to occupy blockers so other players on defense can get to the QB on passing downs. Wow, what a far-out statement.
    lol- no, you just made a compared their production to Taylor....

    btw- what makes you so sure Taylor will be a nose tackle at the next level??? (this should be fun...

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    lol- no, you just made a compared their production to Taylor....

    btw- what makes you so sure Taylor will be a nose tackle at the next level??? (this should be fun...
    Again, you have the reading comprehension of a kindergartener. Which I'm sure partially explains your retarded political views.

    As for me saying Taylor could play Nose in the NFL - again, wow, what a far-fetched statement that nobody else is saying and/or agrees with. Real out there stuff man!

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Again, you have the reading comprehension of a kindergartener. Which I'm sure partially explains your retarded political views.

    As for me saying Taylor could play Nose in the NFL - again, wow, what a far-fetched statement that nobody else is saying and/or agrees with. Real out there stuff man!
    that's what if figured....

    don't leave us in suspense anymore vincenzotesterverde- who should the jets take in the first round so we all know the absolute worst possible pick for the team....

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Bingo.

    How many sacks did Ngata get last season? 5.5 Wilfork? 2.0 Casey Hampton? 1.0

    I love it when people say "this NT prospect has no pass rush" well duh. Their job is not to sack the QB that's primarily the DE's, OLB's and whoever's blitzing. A good nose will eat up blockers up the middle to make those guys' job easier.
    Come on CBNY nowhere in there does he say Taylor is going to be those guys. It is clear that his point was very rarely do you have the big lugs racking up sack numbers. He used the best NTs to illustrate the point, because if the best aren't getting sacks, why should anyone consider that a negative/positive in an NT prospect? I don't think there is anything to really argue here with the TJ here, NTs rarely rack up sacks nor is that usually their purpose.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Come on CBNY nowhere in there does he say Taylor is going to be those guys. It is clear that his point was very rarely do you have the big lugs racking up sack numbers. He used the best NTs to illustrate the point, because if the best aren't getting sacks, why should anyone consider that a negative/positive in an NT prospect? I don't think there is anything to really argue here with the TJ here, NTs rarely rack up sacks nor is that usually their purpose.
    the whole thread is about Taylor, a potential NT, versus Wilkerson, a potential two-gap end....

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the whole thread is about Taylor, a potential NT, versus Wilkerson, a potential two-gap end....



    That's how I started it, but TJ was referring to sack numbers and how they don't reflect the real worth of a NT, I would throw Jamal Williams from SD and Ted Washington, even Jenkins, rarely will you see a NT get more than 2 or 3 sacks in a season, they help others get the sacks while they demand constant double teams.

    The Jets could also take the BAP route and go after a guy like Carimi, I wouldn't be the least upset because RT is a question mark right now pending on whether or not Ducasse can play there, if he can't and we don't resign Woody we're screwed.

    But my point is that Phil Taylor would no longer be viewed as a reach if we draft him there, he's been moving way up since the Sr. Bowl and all he needs is a great combine to see him really sky rocket, NT's are a rare commodity.

  9. #49
    Reach is a dumb term that is completely not provable anyway... Unless we are taking a kicker or FB in the first, determining value is just the wrong way to look at things.

    There are going to be x amount of pro bowlers taken in the first round. Be the team who identifies who they are.

    But Taylor worries me... He seems immature and the guy doesn't have next level strength right now. He has solid strength, but I've also seen him get forklifted at times.

    If you want to see next level strength then watch Jarvis Jenkins. Whether it be senior bowl or any Clemson game, his strike on the blocker is so impressive. He will absolutely jolt the blocker back.


    And as far as Carimi goes, I would absolutely take him first round. Not all that dissimilar from Jake Long. Very strong run blocker who would have trouble against edge rushers on the left side. All pro ability on the right side though.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And as far as Carimi goes, I would absolutely take him first round. Not all that dissimilar from Jake Long. Very strong run blocker who would have trouble against edge rushers on the left side. All pro ability on the right side though.
    Gabe Carimi is my favorite tackle in this draft. it would be criminal if he dropped to 30. He should go much higher than that.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Gabe Carimi is my favorite tackle in this draft. it would be criminal if he dropped to 30. He should go much higher than that.
    Camiri and Castonzo = Underrated...as hell.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,798
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont think NT or DE is such a bad first round need. OLB and CB are probably worse needs.
    You usually state that the draft is about taking the best player available. Now you are talking about : NEEDS. Which is it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us