Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mello is a Knick!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    i dont think anyone wears 15
    The number is retired.

it looks like the knicks are getting brewer as well from minnesota? didnt know 22 was retired...maybe #2 who knows...best thing about this trade is the weight coming off amare's knees

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    i dont think anyone wears 15
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    +1

People can bash this trade all they want. They can bash Melo all they want - the Knicks are a better team now. Not only do they get Carmelo, they get Billups who is a winner and one of the most underrated players in the entire NBA and whose contract expires by the time Paul, Deron Williams or Howard are ready to sign with the Knicks in 2012.

Oh and we keep Fields too.

PG: Billups
    SG: Douglas
    SF: Carmelo
    PF: Amare
    C: Turiaf

Bench: Fields, Balkman
    Still got Bill Walker, as well, who will now be one of the better players off the bench. Shawne Williams is another. Too bad it's taking so long for Azubuike to get healthy.

He will wear 30. His idol is Bernard King

The Knicks got Corey Brewer back also. Terrible shooter, great lengthy defender, and stop with the Nets, they were never an option.

I'm excited to see this come together, I love Chauncey Billups as a championship vet point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    The Knicks got Corey Brewer back also.
    I just saw that - that's a nice pick up.

Brewer could also be re-traded before the deadline. ...maybe the Knicks can get a big man?

The Knicks got Corey Brewer back also. Terrible shooter, great lengthy defender, and stop with the Nets, they were never an option.

I'm excited to see this come together, I love Chauncey Billups as a championship vet point guard.
    Agreed. I'm very comfortable with him running the point the next year and a half. Makes losing Felton a wash.

Brewer isn't anything special, like you said, but at least it's another decent option off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    ...Makes losing Felton a wash.
    If he keeps his promise, Chris Paul will be a Knick in 2012. If that happens, I could honestly care less about trading Felton.

I don't see why some are upset with this trade. Chandler was never going to be part of the future and the point guard position will be upgraded big time.

Brewer isn't anything special, like you said, but at least it's another decent option off the bench.
    Brewer is a damn good defender though.

All League

#30 it is!!!!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/...his-hero/1513/

A couple years ago, Carmelo Anthony told me that his favorite player was Bernard King. Well, guess what? Melo has a chance of becoming the next Bernard King.

As we know, sources have told The Denver Post and other media entities that Melo could be traded – and the dots are connecting to New York. If so, Melo would become a Knicks small forward who would chuck up a bunch of shots and flirt with scoring titles, just like King. Kind of eerie. Say this about Mike D’Antoni’s system – Melo will get to shoot like the early George Karl days and play occasional defense, too (not a bad little setup).

King, if you’re too young to remember him, was a hard-nosed forward who was such a big star in the 80s, that he got the ultimate accolade: a reference on Kurtis Blow’s rap song called “Basketball.”

We got fleeced, plain and simple.

Dolan is so inept. Bunch of Colorado mountain boys completely fleecing a New York team, it's embarassing.

Can't you picture the Denver execs? On the phone with Dolan and Isiah, huddled around each other like 12 year old boys making a prank phone call?

"Tell them to throw Mozgov in...or we're not doing it!!"
    Dolan: Sure. Anything
    RIOTOUS, HUSHED LAUGHTER ON DENVER'S END

"Tell them...a first round pick! Or it's off!"
    (Someone almost cracks up and blows the prank)
    Dolan: First rounder, you got it
    ONE DENVER GM PEES HIS PANTS LAUGHING

This is sad for the Knicks. If they would have just let Walsh do his thing, we'd have Melo night before trade deadline for probably Chandler, Felton, and Curry's contract, and Anthony Randolph to Minn. Now we give up additional (foreign!) pieces, and a pick. So sad that we are in for another reign of Isiah.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Dolan is so inept. Bunch of Colorado mountain boys completely fleecing a New York team, it's embarassing.
    No, we didn't.

This trade is basically: Anthony, Billups, and Brewer for Gallinari, Chandler, and Felton

In 2012, the Knicks will more than likely get Chris Paul. Felton had no future in New York. Billups is a stop-gap veteran with championship experience.

Wilson Chandler wasn't going to be back next season.

Gallinari has tons of potential, but he's not even close to being on the same level as Melo.

I don't give a crap about Timo Mozgov.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    No, we didn't.

This trade is basically: Anthony, Billups, and Brewer for Gallinari, Chandler, and Felton

In 2012, the Knicks will more than likely get Chris Paul. Felton had no future in New York. Billups is a stop-gap veteran with championship experience.

Wilson Chandler wasn't going to be back next season.

Gallinari has tons of potential, but he's not even close to being on the same level as Melo.

I don't give a crap about Timo Mozgov.
    Bingo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    +1

People can bash this trade all they want. They can bash Melo all they want - the Knicks are a better team now. Not only do they get Carmelo, they get Billups who is a winner and one of the most underrated players in the entire NBA and whose contract expires by the time Paul, Deron Williams or Howard are ready to sign with the Knicks in 2012.

Oh and we keep Fields too.

PG: Billups
    SG: Douglas
    SF: Carmelo
    PF: Amare
    C: Turiaf

Bench: Fields, Balkman
    Fields is starting. Douglas is the only other PG on the roster so there's no way he starts.

All Pro
    I don't understand why people love Gallo so much. What's his upside? Hedo Turkoglu?

And Mozgov? He has some potential, but these guys are expendable.

We now have two top ten NBA players, and Felton was a two year rental before grabbing an elite PG in 2012. This was ALWAYS the plan (after LeBron told us to f off, anyway).

The disaster would be if we somehow lost Melo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Dolan is a godawful owner, but the Knicks didn't get fleeced.

They gave up 4 players from a team TWO GAMES over .500. Why do people overlook that.

Again, TWO GAMES OVER .500.

In exchange, the Knicks now have 2 of the 10 players that started the All Star Game. No brainer trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Knicks starting 5 for last game of 2009-2010 season:

Duhon
    Lee
    Walker
    Gallo
    Barron

Not only is Brewer coming back to the Knicks, Minny is also sending us a first round pick, not sure of the year though.

The Knicks fans *****ing about this move, and relying on jackasses like Frank Asshola of the NYDN, who is basically, the Knicks version of Rich Cimini, spewing nonsense about how Isiah Thomas was involved and collaborated to overrule Walsh are off their rocker. Thomas may be close to Dolan, but no way was Walsh not into this with the entire regime, the Knicks recently hired Warkentien(*sp), former GM of the Nuggets to help get this done, Walsh was probably against it earlier in the process, but both owners got involved, including Kroenke from the Nuggets, that is what happens when a deal like this is being put together.

The Thomas/Dolan talk is being overstated and overrused.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Not only is Brewer coming back to the Knicks, Minny is also sending us a first round pick, not sure of the year though.
    Where have you heard this? I haven't seen anything mentioning us receiving any draft picks. That would be sweet though.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Where have you heard this? I haven't seen anything mentioning us receiving any draft picks. That would be sweet though.
    I heard it reported on 1050 ESPN, still conflicting reports about it though, trying to find something that confirms it.

All League
    An all-time great deal for New York
    Carmelo Anthony is not Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, but he is a New York Knick who embodies a brave new world of possibilities for a franchise forever leading the league in dysfunction and doubt.

This is a great deal for the Knicks, a greater moment for their fan base. It doesn't matter if Jim Dolan and Isiah Thomas pushed this trade with Denver a lot harder than Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni pushed it, because it's one of the best trades this team has made since Eddie Donovan acquired Dave DeBusschere in 1968.

Dolan and Isiah were all over this one? Well, they were overdue to be right, weren't they?

And yes, they were about as right as DeBusschere was when he made Patrick Ewing the No. 1 pick of the 1985 draft.

Photos: Carmelo Anthony's career

MeloDrama is over: Anthony is going to be a Knick. Enjoy photos of an All-Star's career: Carmelo Anthony

Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, and Timofey Mozgov -- hey, thanks for the memories and for helping to restore life to the morgue that was masquerading as the world's most famous arena. The NBA is a game of superstars, and that's a game none of the outgoing Knicks will ever be skilled enough to play.

Anthony might be a defensively-challenged diva, but there's no doubting his stardom or his standing as an offensive juggernaut almost without peer, Bryant and James included. The Boston Celtics have four stars and the Miami Heat have three, and the Knicks were never going to make their Eastern Conference math work until they executed the transition from one (Amare Stoudemire) to two.

Walsh and D'Antoni wanted Anthony on their team; they just didn't want to add Mozgov to a package that already included three young and capable starters (counting Chandler), and they weren't the only ones.

But if the Knicks allowed the middling likes of Mozgov to prevent them from acquiring Anthony and announcing to all future free agents -- starting with Chris Paul and Deron Williams and Dwight Howard -- that New York is an awakening giant of the city game, they never would have forgiven themselves.

Anthony had told Dolan he wanted that $65 million contract extension, and had no plans on waiting for free agency and the massive pay cut the new collective bargaining agreement would bring. That's why Denver kept pushing for more and more in this deal, and why the Knicks had to keep giving more and more.

As much as the Brooklyn-born forward burned to play for the hometown team, he wasn't about to risk his $65 million payday to do it. Anthony wanted his money, even if he had to take it from the Nuggets or the New Jersey Nets.

"The Knicks knew if they didn't get Carmelo at the trade deadline," said one source close to the negotiations, "they were never going to get him."

This wasn't the case of LeBron James, because LeBron James never said he wanted to play in New York. Anthony told everyone he wanted to spend the balance of his prime in the Garden. If the Knicks didn't make it happen, they would've lost whatever respect they had left around the league.

Now they have a starting five of Anthony, Stoudemire, Chauncey Billups, Landry Fields and Ronny Turiaf, a much stronger starting five than the one that made it to the All-Star break with a 28-26 record. And that isn't even half the point of this deal.

Knicks Blog
    Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The Knicks have believed all along that the vision Chris Paul laid out during his infamous toast at Anthony's summertime wedding would indeed come to be, and now they are two-thirds of the way home. The new and not-so-improved salary cap number could complicate matters to the nth degree, but the Knicks still believe they can find a way to secure Paul, whose reps at Creative Artists Agency are eager to help another client, Anthony, feel home, sweet home at the Garden.

Isiah Thomas has strong relationships with CAA and Paul, who idolized Isiah the point guard, and Dolan believes Thomas will help him on that front as much as he helped him with Stoudemire and Anthony.

For now, this much is certain: The Knicks were never going to have a "Big Three" if they never graduated to a "Big Two." Walsh and D'Antoni had to be convinced to add Mozgov to the Knicks' ever-growing proposal, and the team president and head coach caved when they weighed the potential consequences of holding out.

"Did Donnie and Mike really want to have that on their resume?" said one source involved in the trade talks. "Did they really want to deal with being the guys who protected Mozgov and sent Melo to the Nets?"

In the end, this trade made sense for the Knicks on every level. They were going to have to renounce Chandler anyway, and Anthony is a much better player than Gallinari. Felton was meant to be a rental through next season, the very role assumed by the aging Billups, who represents a slight upgrade on the tough and noble point he's replacing.

"Landry Fields was the breaking point for the Knicks," said one executive with knowledge of the negotiations. "He's the guy that had to be kept."

So the Knicks kept him. They kept Fields because of his youth, his fundamental grace, and his bargain-basement contract.

Walsh, D'Antoni, and scores of Knicks fans would've loved to keep Gallinari, too. But in November, when asked if he believed he could develop into a star or superstar, Gallinari provided this answer:

"I don't think so ... I don't think I have those abilities ... To get to be a superstar you have to have a lot of things, and if you compare me to Carmelo and LeBron, there's a big difference."

Jim Dolan agreed, and made a trade with Denver he had to make. The Carmelo Anthony deal won't win the Knicks their first championship since 1973, but yes, it will allow them to chase that prize with a credible bounce to their step.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ian&id=6146150