Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mello is a Knick!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yo Dolan. I want MSG HD with my FiOs, I want it now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first instinct was to look at this almost like acquiring Brett Favre. But the more I look at this deal, the more I do like it. We still need someone, anyone to defend but anything to get rid of Eddy Curry has to be considered a great deal. Hopefully Billups can play at least as well as Derek Harper played about 15 years ago. I look forward to the remaining 28 games, should make for an interesting season!!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk kid catholic View Post
    Yo Dolan. I want MSG HD with my FiOs, I want it now.
    FIOS doesn't get MSG HD? That sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    My first instinct was to look at this almost like acquiring Brett Favre. But the more I look at this deal, the more I do like it. We still need someone, anyone to defend but anything to get rid of Eddy Curry has to be considered a great deal. Hopefully Billups can play at least as well as Derek Harper played about 15 years ago. I look forward to the remaining 28 games, should make for an interesting season!!
    Getting Melo is what makes it a great deal. Curry was a throw in. He was gone at the end of the season anyway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    peter vescey killing deal on boomer and carton..saying knicks just replaced offense..still have defense and rebounding problems...i agree w him for this year but this deal is for the future..is he a knick basher??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    FIOS doesn't get MSG HD? That sucks.
    yes it does..this deal probably just made it tougher to get now!!! lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a bad deal for the Knicks. They were not that good a team prior to the trade with alot of holes and after the trade they did not fill any of those holes. They got a superstar scorer who doesnt play defense. What they need is defense and rebounding, they have no problem scoring. In the process, they got rid of some very good role players that had good team chemistry. I hate to say this, but the knicks just took a step backwards.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I heard it reported on 1050 ESPN, still conflicting reports about it though, trying to find something that confirms it.
    Looks like all the pieces have been confirmed and we are not receiving any picks from Minnesota.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    This is a bad deal for the Knicks. They were not that good a team prior to the trade with alot of holes and after the trade they did not fill any of those holes. They got a superstar scorer who doesnt play defense. What they need is defense and rebounding, they have no problem scoring. In the process, they got rid of some very good role players that had good team chemistry. I hate to say this, but the knicks just took a step backwards.
    i think its a wash for this year..but the future is bright now!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait VT told me that everyone including David Stern hates the Knicks so how did this happen?

The Knicks had to make this deal and they got it done, people will say they gave up a lot and maybe they could have gotten him for less, but the Nets offer might have forced their hand (although I maintained the Nets were never an option and were just trying to drive up the price)

Knicks fans are overrating Melo a bit because he is not a complete player and he will have to show that he is committed to playing defense, rebounding and becoming a leader something he has not shown in his career thus far. Billups is still good but is not the same player he was a few years ago and he will not be happy having to leave Denver. Amare and Melo will score but it will be their committment to doing the little things and dirty work that will determine whether or not the Knicks will contend for a title. All in all a good day to be a Knicks fan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Getting Melo is what makes it a great deal. Curry was a throw in. He was gone at the end of the season anyway.
    Oh I agree and like us Jets fans, we typically overvalue our players....so getting rid of who we did isn't so bad!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Gallo - Turning into a nice player and has improved his game. Sucks to lose him.
    Chandler - Was going to be gone after this season anyway.
    Felton - Cancels out with acquisition of Billups. He'll do just fine for us this year and next.
    Mozgov - May have some potential, but let's be realistic, the guy is averaging 4 points and 3 boards per game. Can't get worked up about that.
    Randolph - Hasn't shown a damn thing.
    Curry - Lol.

Giving all that up, we now have 2 superstars to continue building the team around. Really don't understand how this isn't a good thing for the future of this team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody see Billups play this year? It's been a while for me. A quick check shows he's about at his career mark for scoring and assists this year. I always liked the guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This deal is essentially a titanic roll of the dice. The Knicks are obviously a ton better right now, but by locking Melo and Amare to max deals in the last two seasons, the Knicks have gambled on a player friendly CBA. If the owners as a whole take a hard line, then there might be a cap of 50mill$, and the Knicks already have 44 of that spent on two players, and I doubt that CP3 is going to take 6m$ a year to play in NY. On the flip side, if the status quo maintains, they are well on their way to a legitimate big 3 and an offensive juggernaut.

All things considered I think it was a poor gamble, but it wasnt unreasonable and the Knicks had to do something.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    peter vescey killing deal on boomer and carton..saying knicks just replaced offense..still have defense and rebounding problems...i agree w him for this year but this deal is for the future..is he a knick basher??
    Here's the article Boomer and Carton were referring to. Maybe why Peter is so bitter?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...hD0e2eD1U6nu0O

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    This deal is essentially a titanic roll of the dice. The Knicks are obviously a ton better right now, but by locking Melo and Amare to max deals in the last two seasons, the Knicks have gambled on a player friendly CBA. If the owners as a whole take a hard line, then there might be a cap of 50mill$, and the Knicks already have 44 of that spent on two players, and I doubt that CP3 is going to take 6m$ a year to play in NY. On the flip side, if the status quo maintains, they are well on their way to a legitimate big 3 and an offensive juggernaut.

All things considered I think it was a poor gamble, but it wasnt unreasonable and the Knicks had to do something.
    That is something that people are failing to realize...while most people assume that the Knicks will get one of the two (CP3 or DWill) the CBA will be a huge factor in that. The owners want to lower the cap and salaries so the Knicks might not be able to afford all 3 if the cap is significantly lower...I wonder what would happen to Miami in that scenario..it will be interesting..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A gamble? This trade is a no brainer. I mean should they have kept Mosfov and Feller and things would have been better?

All you need to know about this move is that people like me who never watch the Knicks are gonna watch tomorrow night. And our grandmothers will be watching too

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Anybody see Billups play this year? It's been a while for me. A quick check shows he's about at his career mark for scoring and assists this year. I always liked the guy.
    I'm pretty sure he played under the Knicks coach in the worlds and did fantastic. He's also a way better 3 point shooter then Felton, more clutch, playoff tested and a big game player. Felton was gone after next year anyways. They could lose some chemistry early on. The big question is how unhappy Billups may be as he's leaving his home town.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    A gamble? This trade is a no brainer. I mean should they have kept Mosfov and Feller and things would have been better?

All you need to know about this move is that people like me who never watch the Knicks are gonna watch tomorrow night. And our grandmothers will be watching too
    Nothing like having the fake fans come out of the woodworks..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post

Can you change the CBA? I doubt anybody is saying the Knicks didnt get a talent infusion.