Thread: The History Channel on Presidents Day

JetsInsider.com Legend

The History Channel on Presidents Day

Ran a whole slew of great shows on all the PResidents and their administrations (brief, but very interesting stuff) and on the life and work of being President.

Pretty good entertainment, while also being very informative. Highly suggested to one and all should you catch these shows on replay (or next Presidents Day).

All League
    saw some of the shows off and on thru the day..very good and interesting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Ran a whole slew of great shows on all the PResidents and their administrations (brief, but very interesting stuff) and on the life and work of being President.

Pretty good entertainment, while also being very informative. Highly suggested to one and all should you catch these shows on replay (or next Presidents Day).
    I watched 2 hours of "It's Good to be President" last night .. that kind of stuff is right up my ally.

All Pro
    enjoyed it. Thomas Jefferson is a fascinating historical figure as he is very hard to get a handle on. I learned a few things that I can use in the classroom too.

Banned
    Harry Truman left office broke, which led to congress setting up a pension for former presidents. Before that many Presidents left office in debt, including Thomas Jefferson, because they had to pay their staff from their own pockets and had to pay for state dinners, and other events themselves. Rutherford Hayes actually answered the White House phone himself. Imagine that...
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Thanks for the heads up... 2 days later.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Rutherford Hayes actually answered the White House phone himself. Imagine that...
    Ok

Rutherford Hayes: Uh..hello?

TImmy: the Chickens is pekcin me. oh laudy. heps.

Rutherford Hayes: Thanks for the call, whats your question?

Timmy: Big fan, but these chickens oh laudy.

Ruhterford Hayes: Thats great, whats your question?

Citizen: Um, ok. I think Ty CObb should be moved to the outfield.

Ruthreford Hayes: CHickens is gone already? Ya dope. I need a fargin secretary.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ok

Whut, no plea to call ambulamps?

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ok

LOL

- Hey, Mr. President... first time long time. Listen, I think the Brooklyn Superbas are completely overrated. The Boston Beaneaters are going all the way this--

-- Da Beaneaters? What?? You're totally lawst, ogay, get off my phone. Da Beaneaters. Ya believe dis guy, Secretary Mink? Back aftah dis.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    enjoyed it. Thomas Jefferson is a fascinating historical figure as he is very hard to get a handle on. I learned a few things that I can use in the classroom too.
    After reading a ton of stuff on the "Founding Fathers", I just don't get the love TJ gets over guys Adams and Madison. Yes, he wrote the Declaration of Independence (as part of a committee of 5), but he was a Hypocrite to unbelievable degrees, was an eliteist snob, a sneak, and pretty much a coward.

I think John Adams is so overlooked by Americans for his contribution to the founding of this country, its amazing. The fact that the Psychopath Alexander Hamilton is celebrated and recognized more astounds me and shows a total failure in the education ssytem imo. Also, EVERYBODY "knows" who wrote the Declaration, but how many typical Americans know who James Madison is (besides being the guy with the school that plays basketball ) and what HE contributed.

Also, where is Commodore John Barry in the History Books? Or Wahingtons best Generals, Daniel Morgan (the best we had) and Nathaniel Greene......

Few Americans are well-acquainted with the gallantry and heroic exploits of Philadelphia's Irish-born naval commander, Commodore John Barry. Obscured by his contemporary, naval commander John Paul Jones, Barry remains to this day an unsung hero of the young American Republic. As most naval historians note, Barry can be classed on a par with Jones for nautical skill and daring, but he exceeds him in the length of service (17 years) to his adopted country and his fidelity to the nurturing of a permanent American Navy. Indeed, Barry deserves the proud epithet, "Father of the American Navy," a title bestowed on him not by current generations of admirers, but by his contemporaries, who were in the best position to judge.

In the space of 58 years, this son of a poor Irish farmer rose from humble cabin boy to senior commander of the entire United States fleet. Intrepid In battle, he was humane to his men as well as adversaries and prisoners. Barry's war contributions are unparalleled: he was the first to capture a British war vessel on the high seas; he captured two British ships after being severely wounded in a ferocious sea battle; he quelled three mutinies; he fought on land at the Battles of Trenton and Princeton; he captured over 20 ships including an armed British schooner in the lower Delaware; he authored a Signal Book which established a set of signals used for effective communication between ships; and he fought the last naval battle of the American Revolution aboard the frigate Alliance in 1783.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 02-26-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Practice Squad
    Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch some of these shows in rerun.

BTW, a few weeks ago I was lamenting that considering how big a deal the SB is, it is too bad that we don't have the day after (Monday) off from work. Could we move President's Day up or the SB down?

*I work a shift so I worked during the SB but I still think Monday off for most Americans would be a good idea.