Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Question (OLB)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Question (OLB)

Hi, long time lurker. You guys should post more mocks. I scan this forum everyday. Anyway, on to my question. IMO, our weakest area is OLB. I hated watching Thomas and Pace get stuffed one-on-one all year long, sometimes by TEs! Given that this year's DL crop looks really strong, I think our focus should be on coming away with two OLBs. My reasoning is that I think there are good OLB prospects AND shouldn't an exceptional DL crop this year drive down the value next year? I mean if 5 3-4 teams take a DL in round 1 this year would they really be looking at DL in the first next year? Since we are at 30, why take the leftovers this year, assuming a better player would fall to 32 next year?

So what do you think these scenarios:

1st scenario:
    1.30 - Akeem Ayers / Justin Houston / Aldon Smith
    3.30 - Jabaal Sheard (maybe we have to trade up for him)

2nd scenario:
    Trade back into round 2 Ayers/Houston/Smith are gone.
    2.? - Brooks Reed
    2.30 - Jabaal Sheard

I think two of these players would take our D to the next level and it would allow us to toss Pace out next year and not look back. I don't want to gamble on a serious project at OLB, I'd rather have a super unit, given the importance of the position. I'm also assuming that Rex can turn water into wine with what we have on the DL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree we really need some dynamic difference makers at OLB but also hope that we draft DE very early eg Wilkerson/J.J. Watt if we can and a OLB like Reed etc (fingers crossed)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    aldon smith is probably a high first rounder... Brooks Reed and Jabaal Sheard are possibly late first rounders. Akeem Ayers is overrated. Justin Houston might be too.

but i do agree it's their biggest need

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think our best bet is to bring in a mid level free agent passrusher like Mathias Kiwanuka or Justin Babin and draft a DL in the 1st round.

Guys like Heyward, Watt, Ballard, and Wilkerson are all slated to go in the 15-35 range. You could even throw in Phil Taylor.

Aside from Von Miller, Robert Quinn, and Ryan Kerrigan I don't think there are any other bonafide 1st round OLB's. Guys like Sheard and Reed would be reaches at 30 IMO, especially if someone like Heyward or Ballard is on the board.

I fully agree that we need a passrushing OLB, but there are no elite passrushers in FA and unless me pull a huge tradeup for someone like Von Miller, it's unlikely that we find an impact OLB right away.

The DL needs to be addressed before it goes to complete shambles. We have no idea if Jenkins will ever be effective again or even be on the team this year and guys like Ellis, Pryce, and even Pouha are all well into their 30's. Basically the only decent young player on the DL is Devito. We need to add some youth and athleticism to this group as soon as possible. I wouldn't be against walking away from the draft with two or even three D-linemen this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerrigan could fall if people question his position, but I think he could play DE/OLB hybrid in our defense, as we dont play a traditional steelers type 3-4 and he would be great value for us.

I definitely would like to see us trade back and take Reed and get an extra 3rd round pick out of it.

I also think the heat that Pace is taking is unfair. He isnt a superstar and we shouldnt think that he is....he is simply a good OLB who was hampered all year with an injury. Not only does he not need to be replaced, but when we can get pressure with other guys getting him into one-on-one matchups he should excel.

BT is a different issue, too slow, doesnt do any one thing particularly well, and saves us $3million with 0 dead money. We need a rookie to take his place, with some help from westerman.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys like Sheard and Reed would be reaches at 30 IMO, especially if someone like Heyward or Ballard is on the board.
    Iunno if they'd be overdrafts...one of the two should end up going in that 30-40 range. That said, if those DL are on the board then OLB should be for later...Pace isn't bad at all he just has missed 8+ regular season games the past two years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I think our best bet is to bring in a mid level free agent passrusher like Mathias Kiwanuka or Justin Babin and draft a DL in the 1st round.

Guys like Heyward, Watt, Ballard, and Wilkerson are all slated to go in the 15-35 range. You could even throw in Phil Taylor.

Aside from Von Miller, Robert Quinn, and Ryan Kerrigan I don't think there are any other bonafide 1st round OLB's. Guys like Sheard and Reed would be reaches at 30 IMO, especially if someone like Heyward or Ballard is on the board.

I fully agree that we need a passrushing OLB, but there are no elite passrushers in FA and unless me pull a huge tradeup for someone like Von Miller, it's unlikely that we find an impact OLB right away.

The DL needs to be addressed before it goes to complete shambles. We have no idea if Jenkins will ever be effective again or even be on the team this year and guys like Ellis, Pryce, and even Pouha are all well into their 30's. Basically the only decent young player on the DL is Devito. We need to add some youth and athleticism to this group as soon as possible. I wouldn't be against walking away from the draft with two or even three D-linemen this year.
    Agree that we need an infusion of young, high quality talent on the DL. I would agree with taking 2 DL but also want a talented OLB taken early. Man if only we had a pick in the 2nd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a reach is such a dumb phrase anyway... Unless you are talking taking a guy full ROUNDS ahead of where they would likely be taken, there is no way to prove whether something is a reach anyway. It's basically an incorrect way to look at the draft.

It just comes down to whether they are good players.

If you look at the last several years, always remember the big picture.

1/3 of the first round will make the pro bowl.
    1/3 will be complete busts who aren't even worth having on the team
    1/3 will be solid or OK players

You be the GM who finds the pro bowlers because that's the only thing that truly matters anyway. not whether you got someone later than they should have been taken.

And as far as the OP goes, it just comes down to adding more pass rush. If the Jets can do that from the inside rather than the outside, then do it. If they believe that Wilkerson is going to be a better pass rusher from the inside than Brooks Reed is from the outside, then that is who you go with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    just want to bump this to say I really like Nick Bellore as a late round OLB sleeper. Video of his pro day 40 and drills.

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/mediaPor...b_oem_id=10500

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    just want to bump this to say I really like Nick Bellore as a late round OLB sleeper. Video of his pro day 40 and drills.

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/mediaPor...b_oem_id=10500
    bellore is an inside/middle linebacker and cannot play olb.....guy measured 6010 and ain't playing olb in a 3-4 never mind not having the athleticism to play the weakside in a 4-3...his teammate matthias berning is a much better olb prospect....

again- target Cheta Ozougwu/Rice in rounds 3/4....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    james Harrison is a short 3-4 guy, it is possible. these are good names too, any others from the group?

i used to think Chris Carter was a good sleeper but he's turning into a top 100 type.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I will be the 1st to admit there is nothing going to be left at 30 worth a 1st so searching for value is a waist. If by some freak Houston, Smith, Quinn, or Miller falls then yeah it would be a no brainer IMO. I do not buy Reed or Moch as any better then Herzlich and if your going to wait until the 3rd Bruce Carter will likely be a steal. Ditto with K.J. Wright. If not for injury still I wouldn't count Carter out as a 1st rounder. Ayers yeah he will go in the 1st but not the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too am worried about the Pats snatching up two stud DL prospects. They can be a very dangerous team defensively with dominant play up front again. Their secondary is taking shape and improved play up front will help those young DBs even more.

Beli doesn't like staying put and he will move around, for sure. The only question is will it be up or down? I'm worried they might move up from 17 if someone falls a little bit. There are a few different scenarios where Fairley or Dareus could fall to 7 or 8. I would not want to see one of those guys land there.

I would LOVE if they traded up for AJ Green or Julio -- meet #24.

As for the OLBs, I would trust the FO to make the right call at 30. There are a few guys I really like and could see having success here. Brooks Reed is just a personal favorite of mine. He may or may not be worth the pick at 30, but I would be happy if they took him. I'm not a big fan of Houston at all. Sheard I like but not at 30... if they took him there, I guess he's worth it.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 03-15-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I too am worried about the Pats snatching up two stud DL prospects.
    they have to actually use their picks... if they do it's a sign Bellichek sees the end for Brady and might be 3/5 years from retirement. If the Pats took to 2 stud fair enough but they always trade out. they might trade twice that's how much they love it.

Brooks Reed is just a personal favorite of mine. He may or may not be worth the pick at 30, but I would be happy if they took him. I'm not a big fan of Houston at all. Sheard I like but not at 30... if they took him there, I guess he's worth it.
    Houston worked out like a top 20 pick, whether he gets there or not is debatable. I've seen mocks where Reed goes 24 to New Orleans.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too am worried about the Pats snatching up two stud DL prospects. They can be a very dangerous team defensively with dominant play up front again. Their secondary is taking shape and improved play up front will help those young DBs even more.

Beli doesn't like staying put and he will move around, for sure. The only question is will it be up or down? I'm worried they might move up from 17 if someone falls a little bit. There are a few different scenarios where Fairley or Dareus could fall to 7 or 8. I would not want to see one of those guys land there.

I would LOVE if they traded up for AJ Green or Julio -- meet #24.

As for the OLBs, I would trust the FO to make the right call at 30. There are a few guys I really like and could see having success here. Brooks Reed is just a personal favorite of mine. He may or may not be worth the pick at 30, but I would be happy if they took him. I'm not a big fan of Houston at all. Sheard I like but not at 30... if they took him there, I guess he's worth it.
    AJ Green is the best WR to comeout in a long time... I think green is better then Dez bryant and Mr Crabs!!!... AJ Green is a younger BE!!! The guy has it all.. 6'3 212 lbs. If the Pats get him I will die... i have a feeling the pats are going to go OL and DL early in the draft bc they are thin at those spots..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dez Bryant >>> AJ Green

Also, if Green was to become Edwards as Edwards stands right now in his career there'd be very many disappointed folk.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    bellore is an inside/middle linebacker and cannot play olb.....guy measured 6010 and ain't playing olb in a 3-4 never mind not having the athleticism to play the weakside in a 4-3...his teammate matthias berning is a much better olb prospect....

again- target Cheta Ozougwu/Rice in rounds 3/4....
    Thoughts on Cliff Matthews of S.Carolina as 3-4 OLB around round 4-5? More of a looks the part more than can play?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    how about BYU DE Vic So'oto - 6'3" 265 ran 4.5ish and benched 35 times.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

jets like their outside linebackers tall

the jets like their outside backers 6-4 and up.also 260lbs and up.also fast and physical.thats the way I see it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Thoughts on Cliff Matthews of S.Carolina as 3-4 OLB around round 4-5? More of a looks the part more than can play?
    just seems slow with minimal quickness...really no burst...strange as he looked like such an up and comer after his sophomore season....