Thread: Draft Dose: Workout warriors

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Dose: Workout warriors

Draft Dose: Workout warriors

Posted Feb. 23, 2011 @ 9:30 a.m. ET
    By Andrew Struckmeyer

Every year, someone at the NFL Scouting Combine makes a name for themselves based on the numbers that they put up. Whether it's their 40-time, bench press, or vertical jump, they boost their draft stock, sometimes more than their talent justified. The classic case is DE Mike Mamula, whose stock soared after a jaw-dropping Combine workout, where he bench-pressed as many times as some offensive linemen and ran a faster 40-time than some linebackers. The Eagles traded up in the draft to grab Mamula, and the expectations were sky-high for the rookie.

Mamula ended up playing five solid but unspectacular seasons before retiring because of injuries. in the seventh installment of the Draft Dose series we look at some notable players who stood out at the Combine in recent years.

OLT Bruce Campbell (fourth-round pick, 2010)
    Drafted by the Raiders no surprise since Al Davis is known to love players with great measurables Campbell looked like a freak of nature at the Combine, posting a time of 4.85 seconds in the 40-yard dash, fastest among offensive linemen, as well as putting up 34 repetitions on the bench press, a very respectable number. The video from Campbell's time at Maryland kept his draft stock from soaring, and it appears that might have been more a more accurate predictor than his Combine measurables. Drafted as a tackle, Campbell was quickly moved inside to guard in his first season, and appears destined to stay there.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (No. 7 overall pick, 2009)
    The tall, athletic wide receiver out of Maryland shot up draft boards after wowing scouts at the Combine. He ran a 4.3 40-time and had a vertical jump of 38 inches. Always looking for players high on raw athletic talent, the Raiders jumped to select Heyward-Bey over such proven commodities as Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin. Two years later, none of the three has risen to star status, but Crabtree and Maclin clearly have been more productive than Heyward-Bey, who has 35 career catches for 490 yards and only two touchdowns.

OLB Vernon Gholston (No. 6 overall pick, 2008)
    Gholston put on a show at the Combine, displaying a chiseled physique and posting impressive numbers in the drills. The Jets believed he would be a terror off the edge, when they selected him with the sixth overall pick. Since that time, however, Gholston has failed to pick up either former coach Eric Mangini's defense or current coach Rex Ryan's scheme, is still searching for his first career sack, and his main contributions have come on special teams. He is Exhibit A in the draft bust category.

DE Derrick Harvey (No. 8 overall pick, 2008)
    Harvey terrorized Ohio State in the 2007 national championship game, earning Defensive MVP honors in Florida's victory. Couple that with his 20 career sacks and his off-the-charts speed numbers, and Harvey was shooting up teams' draft boards. The Jaguars eventually snagged Harvey with a top-10 pick, but Harvey has yet to live up to those lofty expectations. His career began with a long contract holdout and hasn't ever taken off. He has recorded only eight sacks in 47 career games and lost his starting job last season. Unless Harvey radically turns his career around, he will be labeled a draft bust.

RB Chris Johnson (No. 24 overall pick, 2008)

Johnson was likely going to be selected in the first couple rounds after a productive career at East Carolina, but his Combine performance vaulted him into the first round. Johnson posted the fastest 40-time, running a 4.24. And after Johnson's first three years in the league, selecting him 24th overall was a steal for the Titans. Johnson has rushed for more than 1,000 yards each season, including 2,006 yards in 2009, and is arguably the best back in the NFL.

TE Vernon Davis (No. 6 overall pick, 2006)
    After posting 51 catches and six touchdowns as a junior at Maryland, Davis was certainly on the radar for scouts. However, he took the Combine by storm when he posted the fastest 40-time ever for a tight end. Davis performed well in the other drills and became billed as the next great tight end before being selected by the 49ers in the first round. After three disappointing seasons with the Niners, things finally clicked for Davis, who totaled more than 900 receiving yards in both 2009 and '10 and has 20 TD catches over that span. His game could take off even more in new head coach Jim Harbaugh's offense.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...rkout-warriors

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it cuts both ways... warrior could be a Gholston or could be a Chris Johnson. It's a league of athletes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some guys just do not play quite as fast as they combined that is for sure. Our own Dustin Keller for example.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    keller's big workout number was the vertical leap and I think he's transferred that to the field... he climbs the ladder for high throws...

also notice how Harvey and gholston were both 2008 picks... wasn't a great year. people beat the Jets up for taking VG but there wasn't a whole lot of other picks that made sense and panned out. if VG were in this draft he'd be Allen Bailey...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Some guys just do not play quite as fast as they combined that is for sure. Our own Dustin Keller for example.
    I'm pretty sure he ran in the 4.5s. I'm also pretty sure he looks about that fast on the field. How fast is a 4.5ish guy supposed to look on the field?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    keller's big workout number was the vertical leap and I think he's transferred that to the field... he climbs the ladder for high throws...

also notice how Harvey and gholston were both 2008 picks... wasn't a great year. people beat the Jets up for taking VG but there wasn't a whole lot of other picks that made sense and panned out. if VG were in this draft he'd be Allen Bailey...
    It's funny when people act like it was a dumb pick at the time. The only two guys that seemed worth that pick at the time were Gholston and Leodis McKelvin. Sure, Gholston sucks, but it seemed like a pretty good pick when it was made.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    It's funny when people act like it was a dumb pick at the time. The only two guys that seemed worth that pick at the time were Gholston and Leodis McKelvin. Sure, Gholston sucks, but it seemed like a pretty good pick when it was made.
    Thats the truth. Man too bad for us, wish we had traded down - but hindsight's 20-20 as they say

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jonathan Stewart too...and neither CB or RB were a real option in '08 really...

When is the Gholston being released?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think it's fair to call Gholston a workout warrior. Warriors usually don't have the film to back it up. Gholston broke the Ohio State single season sack record and embarrassed Jake Long. that's not like Bruce Campbell who looked like crap on tape. It's easy for Jets haters to say hey that team went to the combine and picked a guy purely on his workout but I don't think that's true. He had film.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think it's fair to call Gholston a workout warrior. Warriors usually don't have the film to back it up. Gholston broke the Ohio State single season sack record and embarrassed Jake Long. that's not like Bruce Campbell who looked like crap on tape. It's easy for Jets haters to say hey that team went to the combine and picked a guy purely on his workout but I don't think that's true. He had film.
    IIRC he had something like 23 sacks in his 22 career starts at OSU...

Other workout warriors:

Laron Landry
    Winston Justice
    Kentwan Balmer
    DeMarcus Ware
    Shawn Merriman
    Dwight Freeney
    Rodgers Cromartie
    Regular Cromartie
    Matt Jones
    John Abraham

You could go all day with this workout warrior garbage...it's a professional sports league...some guys will have some ridiculous measurables that help them out.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-24-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure he ran in the 4.5s. I'm also pretty sure he looks about that fast on the field. How fast is a 4.5ish guy supposed to look on the field?
    Yes he ran a 4.55 or something like that. He doesn't look near that fast on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not like Keller is making any acrobatic catches though. Personally I've been disappointed in Keller because he can't break a tackle and doesn't appear fully focused all of the time.

And yes, Bailey would be a good comparison for Vernon. Excellent shape and great physical traits, but doesn't like to get the nose dirty on tape but will occasionally flash a play. Also doesn't show next level power at the point and doesn't have next level quickness either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. He was productive and had good measurables. How do you not pick a guy like that? A lot of people were comparing him to Merriman. Seemed like a good pick to me.

And if I remember, a lot of people were high on Derek Harvey. Well, he sucks, too.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 02-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yes he ran a 4.55 or something like that. He doesn't look near that fast on the field.
    He looks about that fast to me. Let's use this as a reference point: David Harris also ran in the 4.5s. Keller looks a lot faster than Harris. Harris plays a lot slower than his time, Keller does not. Harris got caught from behind by Alge Crumpler. That's right, old Alge Crumpler -- Crumpler wasn't even fast when he was young.

Keller's problem isn't his athleticism or strength. His problem is those awful drops.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 02-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the film would have shown that out of his 14 sacks that year 11 came over a 3 game span. the other 8 games he was a non factor. The championship game against LSU was a prime example. He had a sack the first series then dissapeared the rest of the game.