Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nets to get Deron Williams

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Nets to get Deron Williams

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6150419

Trying to rebound from the disappointment of their failed pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, the New Jersey Nets have agreed to a blockbuster trade with the Utah Jazz for Deron Williams, sources said on Wednesday.

The Nets will send Derrick Favors and Devin Harris to Utah for the All-Star point guard.

The deal, scheduled for completion later Wednesday after a trade call with the league office, would also involve the Golden State Warriors and bring multiple draft picks to Utah.

Just Tuesday night, the Dallas Mavericks were talking to the Nets about re-acquiring Harris, according to sources. The Mavericks had shown interest in the point guard in January and told the Nets the sides should talk again if New Jersey didn't ship him out in a Carmelo Anthony trade.

Sources said Dallas turned down a New Jersey proposal of Harris for Caron Butler, Mavs rookie Dominique Jones and a first-round pick.

Williams took some heat this month for the retirement of Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. The two had disagreed during halftime of a home loss to the Bulls on Feb. 9. Sloan retired the next day.

"Maybe arguing was the last straw, so there I am, guilty of that," Williams said at the time. "But I think anybody who believes I could force coach Sloan to resign is crazy. He's stronger than that and personally if I said that to him, he'd probably go tell me to go do something."

More critical to Williams situation is the fact that he can become a free agent after next season and hadn't made headway with the Jazz on a new deal. Utah could have faced the same kind of circus atmosphere that the Nuggets encountered with Anthony this season.

Williams was an All-Star the past two seasons. In his sixth year in the league, the 26-year-old is averaging a career-high 21.3 points and 9.7 assists per game.

Harris has played three-plus seasons in New Jersey after starting his career in Dallas. He has made one All-Star team and is averaging 15.0 points and 7.6 assists this season.

Favors, who was the centerpiece of the Nets' proposal for Anthony, was the third overall pick in the past NBA draft. He's averaging 6.3 points and 5.3 rebounds in 19.5 minutes per game this season.

This is the high point of the Nets franchise of the last 10 years. As a Nets fan Im still digesting the news, but DW > Melo. Wow

Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    This is the high point of the Nets franchise of the last 10 years. As a Nets fan Im still digesting the news, but DW > Melo. Wow
    Wow, didn't see this one coming at all. They need to get him locked up long term.

Did not see this coming...he cannot sign an extension until next year and they have to lock him up...the Nets usually screw things up but I hope they dont **** the bed on this one..lock him up next year so that other Free agents will consider coming to Brooklyn..

Hall Of Fame
    HUUGGEE MOVE after all this Melo-drama. D-will is one of the best, if not the best, PGs in the league. Lightyears better than devin.. hell make the players around him better. ECSTATIC RIGHT NOW

Good for the Nets. Deron Williams doesn't get enough recognition. He's awesome.

You Nets fans think Gallo and Mosgov are next?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    You Nets fans think Gallo and Mosgov are next?
    I think Denver isnt intending to deal either of them.

I think Denver isnt intending to deal either of them.
    So all the talk is the usual media garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    So all the talk is the usual media garbage?
    I would assume so. The Nets probably dont have the assets for it anymore anyway, they can trade 2 sort of weak 1sts and Damion James. Gallo would actually fit in spectacularly on the new Nets. Gallo+Morrow shooting threes, Lopez+DWill on the pick and roll and Humphries underneath is a potent offense. More than Dwight Howard, the Nets big priority right now is to get an impact SF.

Hall Of Fame
    I would assume so. The Nets probably dont have the assets for it anymore anyway, they can trade 2 sort of weak 1sts and Damion James. Gallo would actually fit in spectacularly on the new Nets. Gallo+Morrow shooting threes, Lopez+DWill on the pick and roll and Humphries underneath is a potent offense. More than Dwight Howard, the Nets big priority right now is to get an impact SF.
    +10000... SF is the definite need here, Outlaw is totally not worth his contract. Would be a better player off the bench. I don't see if anything can happen this year, but where else can they look

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245 View Post
    +10000... SF is the definite need here, Outlaw is totally not worth his contract. Would be a better player off the bench. I don't see if anything can happen this year, but where else can they look
    In theory its the easiest position to fill in the NBA, but this is a real low point in talent for NBA small forwards. There are only 5 true impact SFs in the NBA (Gay, Granger, Lebron, Durant, Melo), and only like another 5 that would be major pieces on a title team (Pierce, Deng, Prince, RJ, Kirilenko). So unless the Nets get lucky in the draft they need to try and stockpile assets for a discontented star. The best bet seems like it would be Danny Granger, since Indy is a mess and not the best place to live if your a pro athlete not named Peyton Manning. They just have to always be ready to pull the trigger when opportunity arises.

In theory its the easiest position to fill in the NBA, but this is a real low point in talent for NBA small forwards. There are only 5 true impact SFs in the NBA (Gay, Granger, Lebron, Durant, Melo), and only like another 5 that would be major pieces on a title team (Pierce, Deng, Prince, RJ, Kirilenko). So unless the Nets get lucky in the draft they need to try and stockpile assets for a discontented star. The best bet seems like it would be Danny Granger, since Indy is a mess and not the best place to live if your a pro athlete not named Peyton Manning. They just have to always be ready to pull the trigger when opportunity arises.
    there were rumors last year that the nets were trying to get granger who indy has been long rumored to try and deal..but the nets need Howard...Lopez has been so dissappointing this year...i can see the nets dealing lopez next year...hopefully williams will help lopez play better..

Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    there were rumors last year that the nets were trying to get granger who indy has been long rumored to try and deal..but the nets need Howard...Lopez has been so dissappointing this year...i can see the nets dealing lopez next year...hopefully williams will help lopez play better..
    I'm optimistic that Lopez is being influenced by Avery trying to get him to play in the high post/his recovery from mono. Hes been consistently better of late. And as for him being miscast on offense, I frankly hope that Avery will but out and let a far better PG than he ever was dictate the flow of the game. Avery has always been responsible for Harris' growth, so hes had a hard time taking off the training gloves. Deron Williams is totally within his rights to tell Avery to go $^# himself if he tries to change his game.

Great move for the Nets for now, except if he doesn't sign the extension they will look like fools. Had to try to do something, great point guard.

Also for all the Knicks fans, we were never getting Deron anyway, it's was and always will be CP3.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    Great move for the Nets for now, except if he doesn't sign the extension they will look like fools. Had to try to do something, great point guard.

Also for all the Knicks fans, we were never getting Deron anyway, it's was and always will be CP3.
    That is my worry as well..but I think the Nets will realize if doesn't want to sign here they will trade him to try and recoup some assets..

I agree CP3 is going to be a Knick, him, Amare and Melo have planned it that way, although I would be concernd about his knees.

Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    That is my worry as well..but I think the Nets will realize if doesn't want to sign here they will trade him to try and recoup some assets..

I agree CP3 is going to be a Knick, him, Amare and Melo have planned it that way, although I would be concernd about his knees.
    Yeah, CAA (their agents) have probably planned this all out. Even though I like Deron better, CP3 is best friends with them and with the wedding toast and all, it was pretty much pre-determined. Plus there both superstars and would dominate in D'Antoni's system. I am worried about his knees too, well see though enjoying the moment getting to watch Melo tonight.

Prok took a huuuge risk in getting him, but he needed to do something.

Deron's from Texas, he doesn't have an alliance with anyone so well see how good the russian is.

Veteran
    @STEIN_LINE_HQ RT @tribjazz: Jazz's Williams is not happy with trade

incarceratedbob incarcerated bob
    **BREAKING NEWS** As i reported about 1HR ago > Deron Williams telling friends HE WILL NEVER SIGN EXTENSION WITH NETS! #Unhappy with trade

He wants to be in Manhattan, not NJ lol
    Last edited by raysdaone; 02-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Nets will send Derrick Favors and Devin Harris to Utah for the All-Star point guard. The Jazz will also get New Jersey's first-round pick this year, Golden State's first-round pick (by way of the Nets) next year and $3 million, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

In a separate deal, the Nets will send the expiring contract of forward Troy Murphy to the Golden State Warriors for center Dan Gadzuric and power forward Brandan Wright, sources told Broussard.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    @STEIN_LINE_HQ RT @tribjazz: Jazz's Williams is not happy with trade

incarceratedbob incarcerated bob
    **BREAKING NEWS** As i reported about 1HR ago > Deron Williams telling friends HE WILL NEVER SIGN EXTENSION WITH NETS! #Unhappy with trade

He wants to be in Manhattan, not NJ lol
    Of course he isnt happy. Jason Kidd wasnt happy. He's going to a 17-40 team. They get a year and half to change his mind. If the new CBA decides to protect small markets, they may get a franchise tag as well.

IncarceratedBob...haha what a goon