Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nets to get Deron Williams

I think the Nets will ultimately lock up Williams when all is said and done. They're about to move to Brooklyn and even Newark is preferable to POS Salt Lake City. Deron is coming from one of the smallest, most boring markets in the entire country so even Newark looks good in comparison. Plus assuming the new CBA still has the Larry Bird exception and other similar provisions for teams resigning their own free agents the Nets can offer Williams more money than the Knicks.

Also, Stern is trying to reduce the salary cap by almost $10 million under teh next CBA which would make it impossible for the Knicks to get another superstar. I don't think he'll achieve his goal but then again that's probably a hardball figure and Stern's ultimate goal is a reduction from $56 million to roughly $51-$52 mil which is more realistic.

Williams, Lopez and Humphries is not a bad core to build with. If they can get Howard after he opts in 2012 watch out.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    I think the Nets will ultimately lock up Williams when all is said and done. They're about to move to Brooklyn and even Newark is preferable to POS Salt Lake City. Deron is coming from one of the smallest, most boring markets in the entire country so even Newark looks good in comparison. Plus assuming the new CBA still has the Larry Bird exception and other similar provisions for teams resigning their own free agents the Nets can offer Williams more money than the Knicks.

Also, Stern is trying to reduce the salary cap by almost $10 million under teh next CBA which would make it impossible for the Knicks to get another superstar. I don't think he'll achieve his goal but then again that's probably a hardball figure and Stern's ultimate goal is a reduction from $56 million to roughly $51-$52 mil which is more realistic.

Williams, Lopez and Humphries is not a bad core to build with. If they can get Howard after he opts in 2012 watch out.
    Ever been to Salt Lake City? Just wondering...

Better hope that franchise tag is put in... Because it sounds like Williams isn't going to stay unless he gets franchised every year. It's been awful in the NFL and almost everyone wants to get rid of it in the upcoming CBA, and you know NBA people are going to talk to NFL people about it...

Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    Ever been to Salt Lake City? Just wondering...

Better hope that franchise tag is put in... Because it sounds like Williams isn't going to stay unless he gets franchised every year. It's been awful in the NFL and almost everyone wants to get rid of it in the upcoming CBA, and you know NBA people are going to talk to NFL people about it...
    Yes I have been to Salt Lake City actually. It's a boring place and the beer is a lower percentage than the rest of the country. People can disagree but the place sucks.

The Nets almost had to make this gamble after dumping salary and sucking royally last couple years to get the free agents that the Knicks and Heat all signed. Best case scenario: Nets get a top 3 PG. Worst case scenario: Nets trade Deron a year from now and get similar compensation to what the Nuggets just got.

All Pro
    Deron Williams basically said this in the presser: "I wasnt happy but then I talked to Billy King and he told me were going to go for Dwight Howard" Howard was implied about 4 times during those questions.

He also liked the idea of Brooklyn.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Yes I have been to Salt Lake City actually. It's a boring place and the beer is a lower percentage than the rest of the country. People can disagree but the place sucks.

The Nets almost had to make this gamble after dumping salary and sucking royally last couple years to get the free agents that the Knicks and Heat all signed. Best case scenario: Nets get a top 3 PG. Worst case scenario: Nets trade Deron a year from now and get similar compensation to what the Nuggets just got.
    Not too confident about similar compensation. They'll get some compensation from a team that is able to sign him to a contract extension, but the Nets gave up a lot more than I think they'll get back if they end up trading him. Basically, if he ends up on the trading block, that will be an obvious sign that the Nets aren't going to sign him. Therefore, that means he would be a free agent, or traded to another team after signing a contract extension. How much is a team willing to give up for that? I don't know, but I don't think it's 2 first round picks, and two former top 5 picks. It also depends on how much Williams wants to test free agency. Not to mention, if you consider the free agent market that will exist. Dwight, Williams, Paul, etc...

Did the Cavs **** up by not getting anything for LeBron? Or was it just obvious to every potential trading partner that he wanted to test out free agency? And thus they were doomed to get nothing? I'm afraid there might not be a trade market for Williams if he makes it clear he wants to test free agency, so we'll see what happens. It's a gamble though.