Thread: Ahmad Black

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahmad Black

Saw Black's name mentioned in Mel Kiper's chat and did some reading on him.

Although very small (so could be tough to play him as a traditional safety, especially next to leonhard) at 5'10, he seems like he could be a decent mid round player who would be able to contribute as a hybrid safety-CB.

Good instictive player, who actually tackles....will have to run a good time at the combine to prove he can play vs slot WRs, but seems I am becoming more of a fan of the hybrid type players in the secondary, since tackling has become so important with the spread-type offenses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Black is a similar type of safety to the 4-6 guys we already have....that said I think I like him more than any of them on a personal level....hell the only safety prospect I like more than him is Moore, and Black is much more willing and able to deliver a big blow...

We'd still be looking for that elusive Cover 1 type free safety this D calls for...I'm not sure Black is that...that said he could survive in this D...I do think he'd pass Smith/Ihedigbo/the guy from Carolina/and whoever else fairly quickly...
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-24-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Ahmad Black and believe he can cover... he's not ideal height but knows the game and makes plays. He's more of a coverage player than a big hitter. the question is what is his value? probably right in that area of 96 where the Jets pick

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Billick: Undersized Ahmad Black Makes Big Plays

Florida’s Undersized Ahmad Black Makes Big Plays

Posted 23 minutes, 44 seconds ago
    by Brian Billick

Many NFL scouts and talent evaluator will tell you that Ahmad Black is undersized and doesn’t have elite speed or quickness. He showed up to the combine at 5′9 1/2 and 184 pounds. Combine that with the fact that he only ran a 4.78 and jumped a 35.5 vertical, he doesn’t have a ton of people salivating at mouth.

Given the number listed above, he is obviously a smaller player playing a very physical position in the NFL.

But what I will tell you, is that despite his lack of size and speed, Black always seems to be around the football. On the field, he plays faster than his 40-time suggest by playing smart and instinctive. You will rarely find him out of position in zone schemes and he reads WR’s well in man coverage. Before playing safety, he was a cover corner that has no problem manning up on the slot receiver. He displays a smooth and fluid backpedal with an efficient transition into his break on the ball. He is a reliable tackler, but gets in trouble when he leaves his feet in an effort to make a lunging hit.

While Ahmad Black may not be physically intimidating, he shows up on the field and makes big plays against the best of competition. He picked Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford before they ruined pro and shined at the Sr. Bowl. In my opinion, Black may not be the best athlete, but he is an exceptional football player.

http://wnst.net/wordpress/brianbilli...kes-big-plays/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can't play corner. He's simply not fast enough. Forget the timed speed either. It's just apparent on tape that he's not the fastest in a straight line and that is absolutely necessary.

Actually, he's a lot like Leonhard. Just the darker skinned version. Willing to get his nose dirty, aggressive, solid tackler, but just limited athletically.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob Sanders is 5'8" 206, he plays well when healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like him and think he's a pretty good player. But he's a below average athlete and the Jets already have a guy JUST like him in Leonhard and another guy similar to him in Lowery.

Enough with the little overachievers. The defense needs an athletic safety with range who can play CF. Black is not that guy.

Also, at some point, the D needs to add some speed to the secondary. Black and his 4.7-4.8 doesn't exactly solve that problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Bob Sanders is 5'8" 206, he plays well when healthy.
    Sanders ran a 4.36 and Black ran a 4.73 at the combine. I'm not a be all end all 40 guy but just saying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ive heard from various sources that Black did not buy into training and his 40 time is a reflection of that. he's more of a 5th/6th round type of value now altho it wouldn't surprise me to see him go earlier than that, based on the film.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    ive heard from various sources that Black did not buy into training and his 40 time is a reflection of that. he's more of a 5th/6th round type of value now altho it wouldn't surprise me to see him go earlier than that, based on the film.
    He looks in games exactly like his 40 time... He's just clearly a bit sluggish and that will hold him back but the guy gets his nose dirty. He's very much like Leonhard in a number of ways.