Thread: LSU's Kelvin Sheppard at OLB?

LSU's Kelvin Sheppard at OLB?

This is from Pat Kirwan during the Senior Bowl:

"LSU LB *Kelvin Sheppard: He measured in at 6-2, 250 pounds, which got my attention. Then he went on the field and destroyed running backs in a blitz drill. He bull rushed the undersized backs, but he also used a speed rush and a spin move to win. He looks like a solid pick for any 3-4 team in need of a pass rusher at outside linebacker or a stout inside guy over a guard. He has the physical strength to play the run and demonstrated that in nine-on-seven drills. He was around the ball a lot when I watched him work."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...011&genpos=ILB

Sounds like he is versatile enough to possibly move outside and stand up. Interesting analysis considering he may be a better fit outside than potential 3rd round guys like Jeremy Beal and Sam Acho.

Played ILB for LSU but maybe a 3-4 team does view him as someone that can make the position switch as Kirwan suggests. And if that fails he is a nice option to take over for one of our expensive ILBs in the next few years while doing some situational pass rushing work in the meantime.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    This is from Pat Kirwan during the Senior Bowl:

"LSU LB *Kelvin Sheppard: He measured in at 6-2, 250 pounds, which got my attention. Then he went on the field and destroyed running backs in a blitz drill. He bull rushed the undersized backs, but he also used a speed rush and a spin move to win. He looks like a solid pick for any 3-4 team in need of a pass rusher at outside linebacker or a stout inside guy over a guard. He has the physical strength to play the run and demonstrated that in nine-on-seven drills. He was around the ball a lot when I watched him work."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...011&genpos=ILB

Sounds like he is versatile enough to possibly move outside and stand up. Interesting analysis considering he may be a better fit outside than potential 3rd round guys like Jeremy Beal and Sam Acho.

Played ILB for LSU but maybe a 3-4 team does view him as someone that can make the position switch as Kirwan suggests. And if that fails he is a nice option to take over for one of our expensive ILBs in the next few years while doing some situational pass rushing work in the meantime.
    We could definitely use a young backup for Scott/Harris with a potential eye towards replacing Scott in the next year or two.

I'd rather not use a 3rd rounder to fill that role, but if he (or someone else) is a real value at the spot, I would be fine with it. Especially if its someone who could rush the passer as well. The Jets LB corp is pretty thin right now.

sheppard seems to me more of a 2 down ILB probably in a 4-3. Great attitude, firey, but doesn't move well in space. He could surprise me in workouts this week and if he does that's great... we'll see

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    sheppard seems to me more of a 2 down ILB probably in a 4-3. Great attitude, firey, but doesn't move well in space. He could surprise me in workouts this week and if he does that's great... we'll see
    Could he be a replacement for Scott (in 2012) - not so great side to side but adept at taking on pulling guards or FBs so as to free up Harris to make plays?

When you look at him, Scott is really only a 2 down LB. An $8m/yr 2 down LB, but a 2 down LB nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Could he be a replacement for Scott (in 2012) - not so great side to side but adept at taking on pulling guards or FBs so as to free up Harris to make plays?

When you look at him, Scott is really only a 2 down LB. An $8m/yr 2 down LB, but a 2 down LB nonetheless.
    yes that's more of his role. a head smasher on the inside. i have several LA sources all of which love Sheppard. He's underrated at this point and the combine probably isn't his best venue to showcase himself. he's a football player not a workout warrior.

Yes, he's not an outside linebacker... Have never seen him rush the edge, but that is not a common trait and someone has to show they can do it before you can even think they can do it.

He's a big guy who can really lay the wood. But he does have some mobility. The dude can hit and that is a very valuable trait. I believe he's more than a classic 2 down thumper, but he has to keep as lean as possible at the pro level. He has the athleticism and instincts to make it work.

OLB in a 4-3 and the best ILB in the draft in the 3-4...at least off the top of my head. I think he's got David Harris-esque upside.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    OLB in a 4-3 and the best ILB in the draft in the 3-4...at least off the top of my head. I think he's got David Harris-esque upside.
    So....what round is he going in? Any chance he lasts til the 4th round? From what everyone is saying about him, sounds like he's an early/mid 3rd rounder at latest.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    So....what round is he going in? Any chance he lasts til the 4th round? From what everyone is saying about him, sounds like he's an early/mid 3rd rounder at latest.
    I think he'll end up a solid 2nd rounder...the guy is a very good player and should be able to produce early in his career.