Thread: Backup TE's

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Backup TE's

I'm watching the combine and trying to look at guys projected to go a bit later who can be a possible 2 way TE to complement Keller.

A few guys that have caught my eye:

Jordan Cameron, USC 6'5 254 - gained a lot of weight and still put up 4.5 speed

Schuyler Oordt, Northern Iowa 6'6 261 - small school guy, might be a sleeper (maybe not the best hands)

Luke Stocker, Tennessee 6'5 258 - looks fluid

What do you guys think of these guys? Where are they supposed to go? Anyone else you guys like in the mid-rounds?

Discuss:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cameron or Virgil Green.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Cameron or Virgil Green.
    Yes please but this guy will b climbing the draft boards for sure though

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yes please but this guy will b climbing the draft boards for sure though
    Ya, I agree. I definitely liked his athleticism, but I don't want the Jets spending a 3rd round pick on a second TE. I'd rather get one between 5-7; the later the better, IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would prefer to take a longer look at Jeff Cumberland this year than spend another pick on a TE.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I would prefer to take a longer look at Jeff Cumberland this year than spend another pick on a TE.
    I would definitely like to see that kid develop because he has some skills, but I also don't view him as a 2 way TE. The offense gets predictable when you know a TE will either be a blocker or a receiver. The Jets don't need a guy who can be a huge vertical threat, but someone who can block and maybe get one or two catches a game to keep the D honest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I agree and I also want to see more of Matt Mulligan. That guy can block and has nice hands.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I would definitely like to see that kid develop because he has some skills, but I also don't view him as a 2 way TE. The offense gets predictable when you know a TE will either be a blocker or a receiver. The Jets don't need a guy who can be a huge vertical threat, but someone who can block and maybe get one or two catches a game to keep the D honest.
    This is why I really like Charles Gantt of Michigan State. Asset in the run game who will not blow you away deep but will make all the short & intermediate catches. Right now we're killing 2 roster spots on strictly blocking TEs. Gantt would keep defenses guessing with his flexability. He should be a mid-rounder.