Thread: SI's Don Banks' Mock Draft

All League

SI's Don Banks' Mock Draft

He has us taking Heyward. Please God let this happen...

UCLA safety Rahim Moore is another prospect who seems to be rising into first-round contention as the combine begins, but despite New York having a need at safety, Heyward is the kind of disruptive and physical defensive end Rex Ryan loves. Getting him at No. 30 would also represent great late-round value.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1FBqKLIuK
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aft/?eref=sihp

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll do cartwheels if Heyward is on the board at #30. And I'll put holes in my wall if we pass on him.

On a side note, Rahim Moore is the only non-front-seven player that I wouldn't mind taking in the 1st round. He's basically the only quality item in a terrible safety class.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    He has us taking Heyward. Please God let this happen...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aft/?eref=sihp
    I hate giving up picks but.... if a miracle happens and we land Heyward in the first and then give up picks to move up and grab Brooks Reed with the next pick , id be extatic even if we had no further picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I hate giving up picks but.... if a miracle happens and we land Heyward in the first and then give up picks to move up and grab Brooks Reed with the next pick , id be extatic even if we had no further picks.
    +1

Two quality young players added to the front seven. Okay by me.

All League
    I have gut feeling that either Heyward or Adrian Clayborn will be there at 30 and we'll get a hell of a steal with either. Not really sure why, maybe because there is so much talk about a lot of Defensive Lineman soaring up the draft boards, but I just have a feeling.

Have to hope that three QB's go before us and some OT's as well, perhaps WR's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Have to hope that three QB's go before us and some OT's as well, perhaps WR's as well.
    I'm hoping for 4 QBs. Apparently, Locker threw very well today. That's good news for us. If Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, and Locker all go in round 1, that's one more quality player falling down to us.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I have gut feeling that either Heyward or Adrian Clayborn will be there at 30 and we'll get a hell of a steal with either. Not really sure why, maybe because there is so much talk about a lot of Defensive Lineman soaring up the draft boards, but I just have a feeling.
    What's your take on Clayborn in a 3-4? I've heard mixed reviews. More positive stuff about Ballard, actually, but haven't caught Iowa enough this year to really form an opinion.

Jets Insider VIP

Rex is said to love this guy as well

rOregon State’s Paea breaks Combine bench press record
    Posted by Evan Silva on February 27, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
    Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea is unable to run or perform on-field drills due to arthroscopic knee surgery underwent in January. So he had one, solitary focus entering the 2011 Scouting Combine:

Bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible.

Paea more than aced the test, breaking the Combine record with 49 reps of 225. The previous mark was shared by current Giants guard Mitch Petrus, and NFL washouts Leif Larsen and Mike Kudla.

Unlike Larsen and Kudla — who had 45 reps of 225 — Paea can play. He twice won the Morris Trophy as the Pac-10′s top defensive lineman, piling up 29.5 career tackles for loss and 14 sacks despite facing constant double teams.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock is particularly high on Paea, projecting him as a potential late first-round pick even despite the knee surgery.

Said Mayock of Paea, “His strength in the weight room translates to the football field.”

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What's your take on Clayborn in a 3-4? I've heard mixed reviews. More positive stuff about Ballard, actually, but haven't caught Iowa enough this year to really form an opinion.
    I've always thought Clayborn was a better 3-4 DE prospect than a 4-3. I think he could play both well at the next level, but I think he could reach his max potential in the 3-4.

I don't think he's the "Pure" Pass Rusher that is needed in a 4-3, as he is not an elite athlete with elite edge speed. In a 3-4, you want more a of a bull at DE, and I think that suits AC more. He has a very high football IQ, which is always a plus, regardless of system.

He is big enough to handle the DE position in the 3-4. While he may not have top end speed, I think one of his biggest attributes is his first step quickness. He gets off the ball very quick. I think one thing that makes him a great fit for the 3-4 is he is very quick off the line, but then he can just lay the hammer on you and bull you over. I've seen more than a few LT's over the past 3 seasons rush to cut him off outside only to get dropped by a bull rush move.

I think he does a great job using his hands and getting off blockers on a consistent basis, which will help him fighting double teams and chips that will come at the position. I've seen some people question his motor, and I don't buy it for one second. I've seen every snap of his career and never have thought he didn't give it his all. He may have had endurance problems this year, but those were made even more apparent because he never relents

I think he'll end up similar to Darnell Dockett if someone drafts him for the 3-4. More than just a run stopper and someone to take up blocks. I wouldn't consider him prototypical 3-4 end, but I wouldn't consider him prototypical 4-3 either. He'll produce against the run and the pass though, wherever he ends up though, I'm certain of that.

As far as Ballard goes, I love his potential. The unfortunate thing is I've loved it for the last 4 years too. He is pretty damn athletic for his size. I wouldn't say he didn't produce, or his production was low, but with his size and athleticism, and playing beside an All-American and 2 other NFL DL prospects, he should have been dominant, and he wasn't, even though he flashed he could be. The plus side is he's only played DL for 4 years, so there is still room for growth, and if he can put it together, he could be nasty.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 02-27-2011 at 04:57 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I've always thought Clayborn was a better 3-4 DE prospect than a 4-3. I think he could play both well at the next level, but I think he could reach his max potential in the 3-4.

I don't think he's the "Pure" Pass Rusher that is needed in a 4-3, as he is not an elite athlete with elite edge speed. In a 3-4, you want more a of a bull at DE, and I think that suits AC more. He has a very high football IQ, which is always a plus, regardless of system.

He is big enough to handle the DE position in the 3-4. While he may not have top end speed, I think one of his biggest attributes is his first step quickness. He gets off the ball very quick. I think one thing that makes him a great fit for the 3-4 is he is very quick off the line, but then he can just lay the hammer on you and bull you over. I've seen more than a few LT's over the past 3 seasons rush to cut him off outside only to get dropped by a bull rush move.

I think he does a great job using his hands and getting off blockers on a consistent basis, which will help him fighting double teams and chips that will come at the position. I've seen some people question his motor, and I don't buy it for one second. I've seen every snap of his career and never have thought he didn't give it his all. He may have had endurance problems this year, but those were made even more apparent because he never relents

I think he'll end up similar to Darnell Dockett if someone drafts him for the 3-4. More than just a run stopper and someone to take up blocks. I wouldn't consider him prototypical 3-4 end, but I wouldn't consider him prototypical 4-3 either. He'll produce against the run and the pass though, wherever he ends up though, I'm certain of that.

As far as Ballard goes, I love his potential. The unfortunate thing is I've loved it for the last 4 years too. He is pretty damn athletic for his size. I wouldn't say he didn't produce, or his production was low, but with his size and athleticism, and playing beside an All-American and 2 other NFL DL prospects, he should have been dominant, and he wasn't, even though he flashed he could be. The plus side is he's only played DL for 4 years, so there is still room for growth, and if he can put it together, he could be nasty.
    Sounds like a great report about Clayborn. I'd take him in a heartbeat as well. What are some of Clayborn's more apparent negatives?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Sounds like a great report about Clayborn. I'd take him in a heartbeat as well. What are some of Clayborn's more apparent negatives?
    I think one thing that has always concerned me(and frustrated me as a fan) is that is seems that his repertoire of moves isn't very deep, or he has trouble stringing moves together. I've thought on more than one occasion that he breaks down fundamentally if he doesn't beat his man out right initially. Sometimes it takes him out of plays he should still be in on.

There are some concerns over the nerve damage he suffered in his shoulder at birth, as it doesn't not allow him to full extend one of his arms very well. It has never seemed to be an issue though.

There is also some who think he may have character issues. I personally don't, because the situation probably called for it, but he did assault a cab driver a few years ago.

I think this year his physical conditioning came into question a little bit, because he appeared just absolutely gassed in a lot of Hawkeye games in the 4th quarter.

One last thing, not really a concern I don't think, but not plus either really, is that I've always thought he was a great overall player, none of the singular attributes he possess would be considered elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'll do cartwheels if Heyward is on the board at #30. And I'll put holes in my wall if we pass on him.

On a side note, Rahim Moore is the only non-front-seven player that I wouldn't mind taking in the 1st round. He's basically the only quality item in a terrible safety class.
    Yea.