Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Well, Bits prediction was right...Paea

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Well, Bits prediction was right...Paea

    49 reps in the bench press. Some impressive performances at the combine. Julio jones did really well today.

    Beats the record of 45 by 4. The 1st 35-40 looked like he was lifting a friggin feather.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 02-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,688
    Post Thanks / Like
    OregonState’s Paea breaks Combine bench press record
    Posted by Evan Silva on February 27, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
    Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea is unable to run or perform on-field drills due to arthroscopic knee surgery underwent in January. So he had one, solitary focus entering the 2011 Scouting Combine:

    Bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible.

    Paea more than aced the test, breaking the Combine record with 49 reps of 225. The previous mark was shared by current Giants guard Mitch Petrus, and NFL washouts Leif Larsen and Mike Kudla.

    Unlike Larsen and Kudla — who had 45 reps of 225 — Paea can play. He twice won the Morris Trophy as the Pac-10′s top defensive lineman, piling up 29.5 career tackles for loss and 14 sacks despite facing constant double teams.

    NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock is particularly high on Paea, projecting him as a potential late first-round pick even despite the knee surgery.

    Said Mayock of Paea, “His strength in the weight room translates to the football field.”

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    im more proud about this forecast, everyone and his brother thought AJ green was better than Julio... sheep think

    "julio jones will prove to be a better athlete than aj green. "

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im more proud about this forecast, everyone and his brother thought AJ green was better than Julio... sheep think

    "julio jones will prove to be a better athlete than aj green. "
    Of course you would pat yourself on the back for something that has yet to happen.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Of course you would pat yourself on the back for something that has yet to happen.
    Per PFT: "The official 40 times for the receivers have been released. And what had appeared like a small gap between Julio Jones and A.J. Green has gotten ever larger.

    Jones officially ran a blazing 4.39. Green mustered a respectable 4.5."

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,688
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im more proud about this forecast, everyone and his brother thought AJ green was better than Julio... sheep think

    "julio jones will prove to be a better athlete than aj green. "
    Bit have you picked up any info indicating that Rex likes Paea re drafting him if he can. I read it somewhere but can not remember where! Old age!

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsVault03 View Post
    Per PFT: "The official 40 times for the receivers have been released. And what had appeared like a small gap between Julio Jones and A.J. Green has gotten ever larger.

    Jones officially ran a blazing 4.39. Green mustered a respectable 4.5."
    How does that prove than Jones will be better than Green?

    Last I checked neither of them has played a down in the nfl.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    How does that prove than Jones will be better than Green?

    Last I checked neither of them has played a down in the nfl.
    Bit simply stated "will prove to be a better athlete".

    40 times are a measure of athletic, and not football, ability, right?

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Bit have you picked up any info indicating that Rex likes Paea re drafting him if he can. I read it somewhere but can not remember where! Old age!
    best i can tell Rex has not talked about specific prospects in the media this year.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,688
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    best i can tell Rex has not talked about specific prospects in the media this year.
    Ok thanks. Have a great time at the combine. I look forward to your comments and report of the prospects.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im more proud about this forecast, everyone and his brother thought AJ green was better than Julio... sheep think

    "julio jones will prove to be a better athlete than aj green. "
    So because Julio has a better combine he's better than Green?

    How do you follow the draft as long as you have and still say things like that?

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    So because Julio has a better combine he's better than Green?

    How do you follow the draft as long as you have and still say things like that?
    Because he is a friggin robot.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im more proud about this forecast, everyone and his brother thought AJ green was better than Julio... sheep think

    "julio jones will prove to be a better athlete than aj green. "
    Workout warrior....AJ wil be the best WR in the game within 3-4 years

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    So because Julio has a better combine he's better than Green?

    How do you follow the draft as long as you have and still say things like that?
    because sheep think....then again, at least they think...lol

    btw- when the master report comes out the 40 spread between green and jones will be smaller than what was broadcasted today....and once they took the field for drills green was more explosive and quicker than jones....

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Bit have you picked up any info indicating that Rex likes Paea re drafting him if he can. I read it somewhere but can not remember where! Old age!
    what are the Jets going to do with a 6-1/305lbs DT??

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    OregonState’s Paea breaks Combine bench press record
    Posted by Evan Silva on February 27, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
    Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea is unable to run or perform on-field drills due to arthroscopic knee surgery underwent in January. So he had one, solitary focus entering the 2011 Scouting Combine:

    Bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible.

    Paea more than aced the test, breaking the Combine record with 49 reps of 225. The previous mark was shared by current Giants guard Mitch Petrus, and NFL washouts Leif Larsen and Mike Kudla.

    Unlike Larsen and Kudla — who had 45 reps of 225 — Paea can play. He twice won the Morris Trophy as the Pac-10′s top defensive lineman, piling up 29.5 career tackles for loss and 14 sacks despite facing constant double teams.

    NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock is particularly high on Paea, projecting him as a potential late first-round pick even despite the knee surgery.

    Said Mayock of Paea, “His strength in the weight room translates to the football field.”
    Awesome show of strength by Paea.

    We need more great workouts from WRs and so forth - non-need positions for the Jets so we can have our sought after DE/OLBs etc drop within our 1st round pick.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paea is an Eagles type DT. They seem to like those guys with Patterson and Laws.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    So because Julio has a better combine he's better than Green?
    read again plz "better athlete" not "better football player"

    if Jones can run 4.39 at 220 and Green runs 4.5 at 211 it's not a contest who is more valuable in draft terms.

    That doesn't mean Green is worse football player (Jerry Rice ran a 4.6) but everything in the draft has value and the workout Julio Jones put in today basically guarantees he gets drafted higher.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    read again plz "better athlete" not "better football player"

    if Jones can run 4.39 at 220 and Green runs 4.5 at 211 it's not a contest who is more valuable in draft terms.

    That doesn't mean Green is worse football player (Jerry Rice ran a 4.6) but everything in the draft has value and the workout Julio Jones put in today basically guarantees he gets drafted higher.
    You really think Jones will go ahead of Green?

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Green's the better player now, but I don't think it's a slam dunk that Green ends up the better NFL player. Green will be picked first because he's the more polished freak first round WR.

    I really like Jones' potential at the NFL level though...but who doesn't, right? He's got Andre Johnson type measurables and he was a damn good player for a top college program coached by a former NFL coach...and a good NFL coach too...I could see some team reaching in the top ten....by the time he gets to 11 I could see me calling him a steal anyway...it's not like this draft is loaded at the top.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-28-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us