Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: Well, Bits prediction was right...Paea

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Bit what is the rumble about Jones needing a foot operation?
    it doesn't affect his stock at all. with the injury he jumped out of the gym. in fact it shows willingness to play in pain and perform at a high level injured.

    People are stubbornly holding to Green over Jones but there's no real reason for that... personal preference i guess... Both guys have excellent film, played as true freshman in the SEC... Jones is probably a bigger home run hitter, at least as a pro.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-01-2011 at 03:20 PM.

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it doesn't affect his stock at all. with the injury he jumped out of the gym. in fact it shows willingness to play in pain and perform at a high level injured.

    People are stubbornly holding to Green over Jones but there's no real reason for that... personal preference i guess... Both guys have excellent film, played as true freshman in the SEC... Jones is probably a bigger home run hitter, at least as a pro.
    Real reason?

    My real reason for liking Green: Watching them both play 10-12 times
    Your reason for liking Jones: 1 workout

    Yeah, I'm the stubborn one

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it doesn't affect his stock at all. with the injury he jumped out of the gym. in fact it shows willingness to play in pain and perform at a high level injured.

    People are stubbornly holding to Green over Jones but there's no real reason for that... personal preference i guess... Both guys have excellent film, played as true freshman in the SEC... Jones is probably a bigger home run hitter, at least as a pro.
    Thanks. I think the Jets will need a home run hitter if Holmes walks! Is this a baseball forum? LOL

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Defensive Tackle | Oregon St. | SR Stephen Paea
    Height: 6-1 | Weight: 311 | 40-Time: 4.95

    Official Bio

    Strengths:
    • Ripped and cut with good bulk and a solid build
    • Extremely powerful with amazing natural strength
    • Athletic with nice speed, quickness and agility
    • Is stout at the point of attack and can anchor
    • Excellent bull rusher and gets a terrific push
    • Can penetrate and wreak havoc in the backfield
    • Violent hand use and stuns with initial punch
    • Plays w/ outstanding leverage and good balance
    • Is capable of taking on and shedding blockers
    • Active and aggressive in pursuit w/ non-stop motor
    • A reliable tackler who will deliver the knockout hit
    • Competitive and intense w/ nasty on-field demeanor
    • Outstanding work ethic with leadership abilities
    • Still improving and has considerable potential
    • Durable and productive with lots of experience

    Weaknesses:
    • Lacks ideal height and arm length you'd prefer
    • Instincts and awareness are still questionable
    • Doesn't feature a wide array of pass rush moves
    • Inconsistent and disappears from action at times
    • Is still a bit raw and is not a polished technician

    Notes:
    Last name is pronounced "pie-uh" --- A three-year starter and team captain for the Beavers --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2009 and 2010 --- Garnered 1st Team All-American notice from the Associated Press in 2010 --- A two-time winner of the Morris Trophy as the top defensive lineman in the Pac-10 --- Won the Pac-10's Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year award as a senior --- Grew up in Tongan Islands, where he didn't speak English, then moved to the United States with family when he was 16-years-old --- Focused on rugby as a youth and only played one year of high school football --- Spent two years at Snow Community College --- Missed some time with a bursa sack issue in right knee in 2008 --- Called "Veni", which is his Tongan name, by teammates --- A freak in the weight room who is going to be a Workout Warrior --- Considered entering the 2010 NFL Draft, where he likely would have been selected in the top three rounds --- Could play either the three-technique or nose in a 4-3 scheme or perhaps even nose tackle in a "30" front --- Intriguing prospect due to well- rounded game, versatility and intangibles --- Best football's still ahead.


    Scott Wright

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Real reason?

    My real reason for liking Green: Watching them both play 10-12 times
    Your reason for liking Jones: 1 workout

    Yeah, I'm the stubborn one
    Taylor Mays is on the phone.....

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    because sheep think....then again, at least they think...lol

    btw- when the master report comes out the 40 spread between green and jones will be smaller than what was broadcasted today....and once they took the field for drills green was more explosive and quicker than jones....
    well, got the master report today...for those who don't know what the master report is, it is given to NFL teams and has complete official results, electronic times in the forty, both attempts in the b-jump/20 & 60 shuttle and three cone....

    while its' understandable most draft fans will take the times from NFL.com as official, anyone who claims to really know the draft understands those times are nothing more than a single scout in the stands with the stopwatch and no more official then any other guy in the stands with a stopwatch....the master report is the only one with the "official" electronic times...of course there are those who think they understand the draft yet are clueless to these facts...

    so lets take a look at the comparisons between Julio Jones and AJ Green...

    Julio Jones... 6026/220/ 9 3/4 hand/ 33 3/4 arm/17 reps....

    10 splits 1.58/1.53, 40 times 4.51/4.42, vert 38.5, broad 10'11'', 11'03'', 20 shuttle 4.25/4.28, 60 shuttle 11.12/11.07, 3cone 6.66/6.68

    AJ Green....6035/211, 9 1/4 hand, 34 3/8 arm, 18 reps.....

    10 splits 1.60/1.56, 40 times 4.56/4.49, vert 34.5, broad, 10'2'', 10'6'', 20sht 4.21/4.22, 60sht 11.53/11.56, three cone 6.91/6.93.....

    its obvious based on the spread of .07 sec in the forty Jones is a superior prospect and people are stubbornly holding onto Green as the #1 WO....lol

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    well, got the master report today...for those who don't know what the master report is, it is given to NFL teams and has complete official results, electronic times in the forty, both attempts in the b-jump/20 & 60 shuttle and three cone....

    while its' understandable most draft fans will take the times from NFL.com as official, anyone who claims to really know the draft understands those times are nothing more than a single scout in the stands with the stopwatch and no more official then any other guy in the stands with a stopwatch....the master report is the only one with the "official" electronic times...of course there are those who think they understand the draft yet are clueless to these facts...

    so lets take a look at the comparisons between Julio Jones and AJ Green...

    Julio Jones... 6026/220/ 9 3/4 hand/ 33 3/4 arm/17 reps....

    10 splits 1.58/1.53, 40 times 4.51/4.42, vert 38.5, broad 10'11'', 11'03'', 20 shuttle 4.25/4.28, 60 shuttle 11.12/11.07, 3cone 6.66/6.68

    AJ Green....6035/211, 9 1/4 hand, 34 3/8 arm, 18 reps.....

    10 splits 1.60/1.56, 40 times 4.56/4.49, vert 34.5, broad, 10'2'', 10'6'', 20sht 4.21/4.22, 60sht 11.53/11.56, three cone 6.91/6.93.....

    its obvious based on the spread of .07 sec in the forty Jones is a superior prospect and people are stubbornly holding onto Green as the #1 WO....lol
    Bit Bot will get to work on a computer program that will hysterically try to disprove this.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Bit Bot will get to work on a computer program that will hysterically try to disprove this.
    he better start with his reliance on Jones "elite" production considering Green's per game production was better than Jones when you factor in Green was suspended for four games this year....

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paea is interesting as heck to me, can he be a Kelly Gregg type NT? 6.1 311 with that kind of brute strength... interesting.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang! Bit and Comeback started throwing kisses at each other again but I wasn't around I gotta go with CB here Bit, there is no way in hell Jones is a better player than Green, saw them both play quite a bit and Green is far and away the better NFL prospect. You're all over the place straddling the fence on this one, on the one hand you say Green is the better player but Jones the better athlete therefore Jones should and will be drafted first... WOW! You sound like a novice man... Go cool your head a bit Bit (NPI) and comeback (NPI) with a better one


    No love loss between Sir Smugness himself and I, but he will own your ass with this one.

  11. #51
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scott Wright from www.draftcountdown.com just updated his first round mock draft and has the Jets taking Paea. Here is his write up:

    "Odds are the Jets will use their first round pick to upgrade their front seven. Kris Jenkins has gone down with serious knee injuries in each of the past two seasons and is also a free agent. Sione Pouha has performed admirably in Jenkins absence but it might be time to bring in a long-term solution at nose tackle. Stephen Paea of Oregon St. is a polarizing prospect who scouts seem to either love or hate. Paea is extraordinarily strong, setting the Scouting Combine record for bench press reps, and has shown the ability to occupy multiple blockers at the point of attack. Paea isn’t the prototypical 330 pounder you normally see in the middle of an odd front, but Rex Ryan had success with a similar type of player in Baltimore by the name of Kelly Gregg. Baylor’s Phil Taylor could be a possibility as well. New York will also be looking for a pass rushing outside linebacker and guys like Justin Houston of Georgia, Akeem Ayers of UCLA and Brooks Reed of Arizona could all be in the mix. The Jets could also use an upgrade at defensive end too. Shaun Ellis is getting up there in years and is a free agent and there isn’t much else to get excited about so keep an eye on Cameron Heyward of Ohio St., Muhammad Wilkerson of Temple and Christian Ballard of Iowa. Don’t rule out a wide receiver either because Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith are all unrestricted free agents and at least one may not return in '11."

  12. #52
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Scott Wright from www.draftcountdown.com just updated his first round mock draft and has the Jets taking Paea. Here is his write up:

    "Odds are the Jets will use their first round pick to upgrade their front seven. Kris Jenkins has gone down with serious knee injuries in each of the past two seasons and is also a free agent. Sione Pouha has performed admirably in Jenkins absence but it might be time to bring in a long-term solution at nose tackle. Stephen Paea of Oregon St. is a polarizing prospect who scouts seem to either love or hate. Paea is extraordinarily strong, setting the Scouting Combine record for bench press reps, and has shown the ability to occupy multiple blockers at the point of attack. Paea isn’t the prototypical 330 pounder you normally see in the middle of an odd front, but Rex Ryan had success with a similar type of player in Baltimore by the name of Kelly Gregg. Baylor’s Phil Taylor could be a possibility as well. New York will also be looking for a pass rushing outside linebacker and guys like Justin Houston of Georgia, Akeem Ayers of UCLA and Brooks Reed of Arizona could all be in the mix. The Jets could also use an upgrade at defensive end too. Shaun Ellis is getting up there in years and is a free agent and there isn’t much else to get excited about so keep an eye on Cameron Heyward of Ohio St., Muhammad Wilkerson of Temple and Christian Ballard of Iowa. Don’t rule out a wide receiver either because Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith are all unrestricted free agents and at least one may not return in '11."

    I can't access his site at work - is his reference to Heyward, Wilkerson and Ballard to mean that they were all available at #30 and the Jets still went Paea??? I'm guessing that's just meant to be that in the event they were still around, but not in this instance.

    In Wright's mock (assuming the names mentioned weren't available), who were the jets choosing from?

  13. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I can't access his site at work - is his reference to Heyward, Wilkerson and Ballard to mean that they were all available at #30 and the Jets still went Paea??? I'm guessing that's just meant to be that in the event they were still around, but not in this instance.

    In Wright's mock (assuming the names mentioned weren't available), who were the jets choosing from?
    He has Heyward to the Saints, Wilkerson to the Patriots and Ballard available. Also has Akeem Ayers going to the Packers with us passing on him. Brooks Reed was also still available as was Phil Taylor.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us