Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading/What have you read recently? (merged)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Art of Racing in the Rain, a book written from a dog's perspective on his life and relationships. Former NY Times bestseller that I read last week on the beach in Bermuda.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    By no means is it even close to being tax free. Your deferring the taxes to a later date and to a tax rate that you have no clue what it will be. Look up the average marginal tax rate in our country. Then You tell me a 401(k) is not the biggest scam ever. As far as it being someone's only option...... It really shouldn't be an option. Think about this to. Do you think taxes going up, down or stay the same?

401(k) and IRA's are a way for the government to control the majority of people's wealth. Why do you think that when the market tanked a few years back they halted RMD's for a year?
    I should have mentioned deferment but I meant pre-withdrawal...

What would you ask the average American to do, safely, with minimal effort and minimal contribution to manage a small parachute for future years? Just curious...

As far as RMD's, I'm an amateur here... You talking the distributions you need to make at 'X' percentage once you reach the maximum age requirement in your plan? I remember it being voted on to stop movement but I honestly have no idea why...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    My son is a friend of Marcus Luttrell and wants to be a Navy SEAL. They will begin shooting the movie "Lone Survivor" shortly in New Mexico. Mark Wahlberg is playing Marcus. When Matt Damon called Marcus (6.5 250) and asked Marcus if he could play him in the movie, Marcus told him "you're too short, and I don't like you"!

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    And then started reading this--about a failed Navy SEAL mission in Afghanistan in 2005.

Only one guy made it out.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    My son is a friend of Marcus Luttrell and wants to be a Navy SEAL. They will begin shooting the movie "Lone Survivor" shortly in New Mexico. Mark Wahlberg is playing Marcus. When Matt Damon called Marcus (6.5 250) and asked Marcus if he could play him in the movie, Marcus told him "you're too short, and I don't like you"!
    I heard that, but also heard that the movie is on "hold" because luttrell hates democrats....and has made numerous public comments saying such.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I should have mentioned deferment but I meant pre-withdrawal...

What would you ask the average American to do, safely, with minimal effort and minimal contribution to manage a small parachute for future years? Just curious...

As far as RMD's, I'm an amateur here... You talking the distributions you need to make at 'X' percentage once you reach the maximum age requirement in your plan? I remember it being voted on to stop movement but I honestly have no idea why...
    401k's are easy to set up and it doesn't take much to get started. Most people do it because they were trained to do it. I was one of those people. For years I was telling people to max out their 401k. I didn't think there was anything better until I saw a guy by the name of Tom Love speak at a seminar. The concepts he spoke of blew my mind. From that point on, I began to help my clients in a different way.

Think about a retirement plan that had Unlimited contributions, tax free growth and if managed properly tax free withdrawals. Borrow against it prior to 59 1/2 without penalty, nice growth, zero risk and self completing.

It's based on the infinate banking system or the private reserve strategy. Nice clip on YouTube about the private reserve strategy. You in a sense become your own bank.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still haven't start Pale Blue Dot. Gotta do that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Wool Omnibus

Got this on a whim when I picked up my iPad mini. I'm 2/3 of the way through it and have to say it's been a good read. Those that read the serialized version probably enjoyed it more given the cliffhanger style of the original novellas.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071XO8RA/...m%2Freviews%2F

I'm only 2/3 the way through because most of my reading has been comprised of this:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    401k's are easy to set up and it doesn't take much to get started. Most people do it because they were trained to do it. I was one of those people. For years I was telling people to max out their 401k. I didn't think there was anything better until I saw a guy by the name of Tom Love speak at a seminar. The concepts he spoke of blew my mind. From that point on, I began to help my clients in a different way.

Think about a retirement plan that had Unlimited contributions, tax free growth and if managed properly tax free withdrawals. Borrow against it prior to 59 1/2 without penalty, nice growth, zero risk and self completing.

It's based on the infinate banking system or the private reserve strategy. Nice clip on YouTube about the private reserve strategy. You in a sense become your own bank.
    I've been using that for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Your-...our+own+banker

Great book that helps explain it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I've been using that for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Your-...our+own+banker

Great book that helps explain it.
    Yes! Confessions of a CPA also a great easy read about the topic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished this one - a great read:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you guys enjoy the fantasy genre, I recently wrote this article on Medium.com

Nerd alert!!!

https://medium.com/p/830f46defa6c

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    If you guys enjoy the fantasy genre, I recently wrote this article on Medium.com

Nerd alert!!!

https://medium.com/p/830f46defa6c
    You're THAT Andy Polidore???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You're THAT Andy Polidore???
    Judge me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judge me.
    What else can be said at this point?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    What else can be said at this point?
    Yes, I'm white... racist.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tl;dr was tl;dr.

Having only read ASOIAF and thinking they're incredible, which of your suggestions would you recommend I read next?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    The tl;dr was tl;dr.

Having only read ASOIAF and thinking they're incredible, which of your suggestions would you recommend I read next?
    A Song of Ice and Fire is a bit of an anomaly in that it appeals to a huge fanbase and, thus, doesn't tell me much about what you like in a book. Is too much magic a turn off? Do you prefer epic stories or fast paced books?

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judge me.
    lyrics relevant. Not Fantasy; but Fantastic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Song of Ice and Fire is a bit of an anomaly in that it appeals to a huge fanbase and, thus, doesn't tell me much about what you like in a book. Is too much magic a turn off? Do you prefer epic stories or fast paced books?
    Magic is a plus, 'specially the pointy hat variety. Epic or fast paced, either.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite an effort, Poli-Tron.