Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading/What have you read recently? (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    The Longest Day, the famous book about D-Day. Pretty good stuff.

Next on tap is Hunter Thompson's The Rum Diary.
    Finished The Rum Diary yesterday. It was actually my first foray into the world of Hunter S. Thompson (not including some of his more famous essays and sports articles).

Rum Diary was the first book he wrote at the age of 22, and taking that into account, it was incredible. The plot was decent, but the writing was just fantastic. I mean, the talent he had at that age was awesome.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... glen duncan - "death of an ordinary man" ...

... so far i've only found time to struggle through the 1st 2 chapters ...

... it hasn't sucked me in yet ...

l_j_r
    Stay the course, my friend. Great book. If you like Glen Duncan, I recommend "I, Lucifer" - amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444646/

Jets Insider VIP
    Finished The Rum Diary yesterday. It was actually my first foray into the world of Hunter S. Thompson (not including some of his more famous essays and sports articles).

Rum Diary was the first book he wrote at the age of 22, and taking that into account, it was incredible. The plot was decent, but the writing was just fantastic. I mean, the talent he had at that age was awesome.
    You've never read Fear and Loathing in Las vegas???

Aie Aie Aie. Must read my friend. If you enjoyed Rum Diary, you should love F&L. Rum Diary was his first book which came out after his death. A lot of people thought it was sub par for him. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    You've never read Fear and Loathing in Las vegas???

Aie Aie Aie. Must read my friend. If you enjoyed Rum Diary, you should love F&L. Rum Diary was his first book which came out after his death. A lot of people thought it was sub par for him. I loved it.
    I thought Rum Diary was excellent.

But no, I've never read Fear & Loathing. I actually went to the bookstore yesterday to pick it up and they didn't even have it in stock .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Just finished Pillars of the Earth(per recs of previous threads). Now reading World without End.

Liked Pillars very much...sequel...ehh..not bad.
    Also started World Without End last weekend. I hope it's as good as Pillars.

Jets Insider VIP
    But no, I've never read Fear & Loathing.
    Lucky bastard.

Gargoyle was a great story almost ruined by bad writing.
    In the end, the writing got better (or I got used to it...hope I didn't loose any IQ points!), and the story has stuck around - so thats good.

Just started the Unbearable Lightness of Being.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon13 View Post
    Namath
    A Biography

By Mark Kriegel
    Finished.

What happened to Kansas By Thomas Frank

I'm reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss right now and I love it. I delve into this type of stuff from time to time and this is one of the best fantasy adventure books I've ever read.

As reference:
    Probably my favorite book...The Terror, by Dan Simmons
    Probably my favorite author...Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots View Post
    Gargoyle was a great story almost ruined by bad writing.
    In the end, the writing got better (or I got used to it...hope I didn't loose any IQ points!), and the story has stuck around - so thats good.

Just started the Unbearable Lightness of Being.
    I keep seeing that book (Gargoyle) and keep holding off on buying it...but it sounds interesting.

Unbearable Lightness of Being is a great movie. Unfortunately I can't read the book once I've seen the movie but can do it the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Also started World Without End last weekend. I hope it's as good as Pillars.
    Is Follett a good writer?

I read Whiteout and it sucked.
    Last edited by HessStation; 10-04-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    I keep seeing that book (Gargoyle) and keep holding off on buying it...but it sounds interesting.
    The story saves the book and the writing gets better 1/2 way through.
    I'd recommend it if you can deal with that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Is Follett a good writer?

I read Whiteout and it sucked.
    I've never read anything else from him. I think he's written some fairly mainstream/commercial stuff. I do recommend Pillars of the Earth which is a historical novel set in the 12th century.

Figured this thread was due for a bump.

Just finished 'Incident at 20 Mile' by Trevanian. I've never read anything of his before, and haven't read hardly any westerns, but I liked this one. This one set in an early 20th century silver mining town in Wyoming.

It took awhile to get going, but was well worth it by the end.

Once the semester is over (last final on Thursday) I'm going to get going with some much needed leisurely reading. I'm probably going to zip through another Christopher Moore novel. I thoroughly enjoyed Lamb, A Dirty Job, and Fluke. I'm also thinking of trying House of Leaves. Has anyone attempted this one? Is it worth the shot?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Stay the course, my friend. Great book. If you like Glen Duncan, I recommend "I, Lucifer" - amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444646/
    ... had to shelve it onto the back burner ...

... perhaps just not in the right frame of mind at the moment ... also i could only read it in bits & pieces ... that wasn't easy to understand which characters perspective & which generation was talking to me at any particular moment ...

... had to switch to rereading a fun easy story - bernard cornwell - "sharp's battle" ... entertaining light fiction about england vs. french in napoleanic era ...

... when i have more time & quiet to concentrate i'll try to give "death" another go ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots View Post
    I am finishing the Book Thief. Amazing & heart-breaking. Stylistically - fantastic similes and great prose.
    The Appeals- John Grisham, halfway through.

Just finished a 3 book trilogy by David Baldacci,

All League
    Anybody read Underworld, by Don DeLillo? A co-worker threw it my way, and he said he was luke-warm on it. I was a huge fan of White Noise, but I haven't read anything of his since.

First day of winter break and I'm snowed in. Just picked up a copy of Infinite Jest. Obviously not going to get through the whole thing today (it's over 1,000 freakin' pages) but I hear great things so I'm going to give it a shot. And since there's no beer in the fridge, I'm digging into my parent's wine collection. Not too shabby.

Embarrassing moment of the day: Decided to make a fire but forgot to open the flue (the fireplace I have at school doesn't have one).

All League

Annie Leivbovitz At Work

“The first thing I did with my very first camera was climb Mt. Fuji. Climbing Mt. Fuji is a lesson in determination and moderation. It would be fair to ask if I took the moderation part to heart. But it certainly was a lesson in respecting your camera. If I was going to live with this thing, I was going to have to think about what that meant. There were not going to be any pictures without it."
    —Annie Leibovitz