Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wonderful World of Sliced Meat

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wonderful World of Sliced Meat

So, since we talk about everything else food round here, and I feel like starting lots of threads, lets have one on the wonderful world of sandwhich meats and other sliced meat products.

Personally, being a former New Yorker, I never stopped loving the products of this company:

[url]http://www.boarshead.com/[/url]

The staple of my youthful diet living on LI, served by many of the local Deli's.

Finally this stuff is available down here in VA regularly (via Harris Teeter) and I've been enjoying it.

When I was a kid, I was a hardcore Bologna eater (can;t touch that stuff now, ugh, nasty) but as my tastes have aged, I've been far more interested in the wide variety of sandwhich making available.

This week, I am trying out a nice Mortadella, in combo with some standard Honey Ham and Provolone.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Mortadella.jpg/250px-Mortadella.jpg[/IMG]

So what is your sandwhich slice of choice, and what cool and obscure meats are there out there for the cultured gourmand?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Porkroll/Taylor ham. I had some of this for breakfast this morning. I still can't believe some people have never heard of it.

[IMG]http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lde6pkTj2G1qedasfo1_400.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GDVWQz0L-p4/TRvjhn0K_PI/AAAAAAAAAHg/ndKPB-9EywM/s1600/pork-roll-frying.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.photoscanada.com/gallery/albums/quebec/schwartz_s_deli_mont.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://newworldreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/schwartzs.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3968695]So, since we talk about everything else food round here, and I feel like starting lots of threads, lets have one on the wonderful world of sandwhich meats and other sliced meat products.

Personally, being a former New Yorker, I never stopped loving the products of this company:

[url]http://www.boarshead.com/[/url]

The staple of my youthful diet living on LI, served by many of the local Deli's.

Finally this stuff is available down here in VA regularly (via Harris Teeter) and I've been enjoying it.

When I was a kid, I was a hardcore Bologna eater (can;t touch that stuff now, ugh, nasty) but as my tastes have aged, I've been far more interested in the wide variety of sandwhich making available.

This week, I am trying out a nice Mortadella, in combo with some standard Honey Ham and Provolone.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Mortadella.jpg/250px-Mortadella.jpg[/IMG]

So what is your sandwhich slice of choice, and what cool and obscure meats are there out there for the cultured gourmand?[/QUOTE]

i thought your woman forced you into being a vegetarian?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3968699]i thought your woman forced you into being a vegetarian?[/QUOTE]

No sir.

I do live a mostly Vegetarian Lifestyle simply by living with/being married to her, but I face only minimal actual limitations imposed by her (for example, no veal whatsoever, and a request not to eat big bleeding rare steaks in front of her, both of which I've more than willing agreed to).

I still eat a few things at home, seafood, hotdogs and Kielbasa, and sandwhich meats and tuna for my lunches, and generally whatever I like if we eat out (although I often choose veggie stuff so we can share).

Call it an agreement we have, she gets me as a 85% Vegetarian, and I get to save a few of the things I can't live without. It's worked out well thus far.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have n Italian Specialty grocer near you, try ordering up some imported Mortadella with the pistachios. You'll never have better.

[IMG]http://www.italianfoodimports.com/onlinestore/images/pistmort.jpg[/IMG]

I like it with some sweet soprasetta and a little hot capicola.:cool:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure most find it repulsive, but I love me the olive loaf!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3968703]No sir.

I do live a mostly Vegetarian Lifestyle simply by living with/being married to her, but I face only minimal actual limitations imposed by her ([B]for example, no veal whatsoever,[/B] and a request not to eat big bleeding rare steaks in front of her, both of which I've more than willing agreed to).

I still eat a few things at home, seafood, hotdogs and Kielbasa, and sandwhich meats and tuna for my lunches, and generally whatever I like if we eat out (although I often choose veggie stuff so we can share).

Call it an agreement we have, she gets me as a 85% Vegetarian, and I get to save a few of the things I can't live without. It's worked out well thus far.[/QUOTE]

Although i dont eat meat, i often acknowledge the great smells of BBQ, bacon, etc, but veal and lamb (are they the same creature?) have a smell that has haunted me since my yoot. I sure hope it was just prepared wrong, because ......wow. pew.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obligatory head cheese photo

[IMG]http://www.salmonellablog.com/uploads/image/paine_headcheese.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3968703]No sir.

I do live a mostly Vegetarian Lifestyle simply by living with/being married to her, but I face only minimal actual limitations imposed by her (for example, no veal whatsoever, and a request not to eat big bleeding rare steaks in front of her, both of which I've more than willing agreed to).

Call it an agreement we have, she gets me as a 85% Vegetarian, and I get to save a few of the things I can't live without. It's worked out well thus far.[/QUOTE]

You're a Scot, aren't you? I always thought the only thing you guys eat is meat. How the hell do you survive being 85% vegetarian?

My wife is Irish. If I told her to eat less meat and potatoes, she'd bite my face.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3968715]You're a Scot, aren't you? I always thought the only thing you guys eat is meat. How the hell do you survive being 85% vegetarian?

My wife is Irish. If I told her to eat less meat and potatoes, she'd bite my face.[/QUOTE]

Given I get to keep the few things I really love, and the veg-head food is actually quite good, it's been quite easy tbh.

I never cease to be amazed at how many great veg-head meals are possible, and how great they taste tbh, and the assortment of "fake meat" soy and similar products about make it easy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3968716]Given I get to keep the few things I really love, and the veg-head food is actually quite good, it's been quite easy tbh.

I never cease to be amazed at how many great veg-head meals are possible, and how great they taste tbh, and the assortment of "fake meat" soy and similar products about make it easy.[/QUOTE]

I've always been skeptical of the fake meat products.

That said I've had some vegetarian dishes. They are pretty good.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3968721]I've always been skeptical of the fake meat products.

That said I've had some vegetarian dishes. They are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Well, back in the day most were pretty bad tbh. And if you're goin in expecting "real meat taste" you'll be sorely dissapointed as well.

"Fake Meat" isn;t really intended to be an exact duplicate of real meat. It's more intended to fill the meal-role that a meat item would fill. Veggie Burgers (mostly) taste nothing like a hamburger. Even the best/closest variations are still pretty far off, but they provide a "burger" for veg-heads so burgers n' fries is a possible meal. Same for most of the products, it allows Veg-heads to get protien from Soy or similar sources, while providing a meat-like bulk and chew to recipies and meal-planning.

The trick for a meat-eater is to approach a beg-product for what it is, not what it is meant to replace. When I did that, I relaized how good a Veggie-Burger can be.

Also, the wife and I eat ALOT of foreign ethnic food, Chineese, Thai, Indian (lots of Indian) and even Pho Vietnameese and some African ethnic food. All of which have strong options for no-meat meals, if one is careful (many asian cuisines toss things like fish-sauce or beef-broth into items you'd never know contained them if you were uninformed). As such though, we get a whole host of tastes and interesting cuisine to persue, with nary a piece of burger in sight.

Trust me, I still rock an Italian Metball Sub bro, really. But most days, the Veg-Head lifestyle is pretty decent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really liked Pepper Salami but it has to be one of the unhealthiest things around.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's an Italian/panini place near me that makes an Italian speck, fontina cheese and baby arugula on a ciabatta panini. It's the tits.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mortadella is one of my favorite salumi. Incidentally, Warfish, "bologna" (or "baloney", to most) was a poor imitation of mortadella, which is from Bologna, Italy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You know what that white stuff is in mortadella? That's right, neck fat ...yummy!

[IMG]http://formerlyfatmatt.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/chris-farley-photograph-c10101992-fat-neck.jpeg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    lol

oops wrong picture

[IMG]http://www.lospaisanosmeatmarket.com/media/pork.jpg[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3968837]There's an Italian/panini place near me that makes an Italian speck, fontina cheese and baby arugula on a ciabatta panini. It's the tits.[/QUOTE]

If you eat enough of those you'll grow tits.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love a good double cut Veal Chop or Australian or New Zealand Baby Loin Lamb Chops.

As for sliced meat, love the flavored hams and turkeys--black forrest, honey, smoked, virginia, etc.

_