Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: The Wonderful World of Sliced Meat

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    You ever have culatello or guanciale, southpark. They are both difficult to find outside of Italy.
    No???? and I worked in a very authentic Italian deli. We had 3 different cappicola's, 2 styles of prosciutto, 4 different sopressatas. My boss made the fennel pie for Easter, baccala was sold during the holidays. The works!

    Let's not forget the coffee soda!

    But NEVER heard of that. WOW!

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Porkroll/Taylor ham. I had some of this for breakfast this morning. I still can't believe some people have never heard of it.



    Best. Meat. Ever.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Porkroll/Taylor ham. I had some of this for breakfast this morning. I still can't believe some people have never heard of it.



    John Taylor Pork roll, when I worked in the biz....was wrapped in a burlap wrap that was "pulled back" when we sliced it. Your oic is pre packaged. We would slice it thin for sandwiches.

    On eggs, John Taylor pork roll was OUTSTANDING! We sold a Taylor pork roll, egg and cheese as a breakfast sandwich. It was great.

    Anyone ever eat pastrami and eggs. GREAT!

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    No???? and I worked in a very authentic Italian deli. We had 3 different cappicola's, 2 styles of prosciutto, 4 different sopressatas. My boss made the fennel pie for Easter, baccala was sold during the holidays. The works!

    Let's not forget the coffee soda!

    But NEVER heard of that. WOW!
    I'm born in Emilia–Romagna, where all the world's great salumi are produced. For the longest time, because of unfounded issues related to trichinosis in Italy, you could not get the authentic stuff in the States. Luckily, that situation is long gone. For some reason, you can't find culatello here. If you ever do, eat up. You will thank me.


  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    John Taylor Pork roll, when I worked in the biz....was wrapped in a burlap wrap that was "pulled back" when we sliced it. Your oic is pre packaged. We would slice it thin for sandwiches.

    On eggs, John Taylor pork roll was OUTSTANDING! We sold a Taylor pork roll, egg and cheese as a breakfast sandwich. It was great.

    Anyone ever eat pastrami and eggs. GREAT!
    Taylor Ham, Egg & Cheese is a NJ/NY classic. There is no better breakfast sammich. I love how I can go almost anywhere and find it, and at 99% of places it is very, very good.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    No???? and I worked in a very authentic Italian deli. We had 3 different cappicola's, 2 styles of prosciutto, 4 different sopressatas. My boss made the fennel pie for Easter, baccala was sold during the holidays. The works!

    Let's not forget the coffee soda!

    But NEVER heard of that. WOW!
    I've heard of it. I've never tried it though. Unless I had it when I was a kid, and don't remember.

    I miss going to my grandparents' house in Brooklyn, and going with my grandfather to the local pork store. Fantastic stuff.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'm born in Emilia–Romagna, where all the world's great salumi are produced. For the longest time, because of unfounded issues related to trichinosis in Italy, you could not get the authentic stuff in the States. Luckily, that situation is long gone. For some reason, you can't find culatello here. If you ever do, eat up. You will thank me.

    My grandmother used to make her own salumi. You know, the stuff that would be cured, dried and stored in jars of oil? My God, that stuff was good.

    My brother just recently started dating this girl whose mother is from Napoli. She makes the same stuff. I tried it a few days ago, and it was like going back in time.

    You can't get stuff that good in a store.

  8. #48
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I've heard of it. I've never tried it though. Unless I had it when I was a kid, and don't remember.

    I miss going to my grandparents' house in Brooklyn, and going with my grandfather to the local pork store. Fantastic stuff.


    I miss Danny's Pork Store (right side of pic) the best sauseech I ever ate. It was around the corner from Arthur Ave. and they used a fake storefront modeled after it for A Bronx Tale, C lived upstairs from it, lol.

    Anyway when the old man died the store closed, his son didn't want to keep the business going.

  9. #49
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    My grandmother used to make her own salumi. You know, the stuff that would be cured, dried and stored in jars of oil? My God, that stuff was good.

    My brother just recently started dating this girl whose mother is from Napoli. She makes the same stuff. I tried it a few days ago, and it was like going back in time.

    You can't get stuff that good in a store.
    Wow, that stuff sounds amazing. My Mom's family are butchers back in Italy. Last time I had the homemade salumi was a long time ago.

  10. #50
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    btw, speaking of Arthur Ave. Mike's Deli allows online ordering, that place is tremendous and has a full assortment of Italian masterpieces

    http://www.arthuravenue.com/

    http://www.arthuravenue.com/cured-meats.html

    mangia!

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post


    I miss Danny's Pork Store (right side of pic) the best sauseech I ever ate. It was around the corner from Arthur Ave. and they used a fake storefront modeled after it for A Bronx Tale, C lived upstairs from it, lol.

    Anyway when the old man died the store closed, his son didn't want to keep the business going.
    Bensonhurst (where i was born) used to be littered with these kinds of places. Great Italian bakeries too. Most of them are gone now for similar reasons.

    Lucky for me, there's an old school place just like those right by me in Patchogue. People literally drive out from Brooklyn just to get food from this guy because they can't find it where they live anymore.

    The meats, cheeses, and bread are all AMAZING. But they're also extremely expensive.

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    btw, speaking of Arthur Ave. Mike's Deli allows online ordering, that place is tremendous and has a full assortment of Italian masterpieces

    http://www.arthuravenue.com/

    http://www.arthuravenue.com/cured-meats.html

    mangia!
    Holy crap that website is making me hungry.

  13. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Wow, that stuff sounds amazing. My Mom's family are butchers back in Italy. Last time I had the homemade salumi was a long time ago.
    My dad's family were farmers back in Italy. But they made their own sausage. My great-grandfather also grew grapes and made his own wine (supposedly he drank more of it than he sold )

  14. #54
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
    Holy crap that website is making me hungry.
    lol, check out the recipes...

    I'll never lose weight

  15. #55
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,321
    Originally Posted by MACPAC
    smoked meat. Could eat one every day.


    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    lol
    -


    ... wow ... took this long for a "Teh Gay" reference ... you guys were letting me down for a sec there! ...

  16. #56
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by MACPAC View Post
    smoked meat. Could eat one every day.

  17. #57
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,244

    Prosciuttini!!!

    IMO the key ingredient in any Italian hero/sub, yet it's next to impossible to find in California

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,763
    A place I musta passed by 1000 times near the Garden before venturing in: *snif*

    http://www.salumeriabiellese.com/
    http://www.salumeriabiellese.com/aboutus.html
    http://www.salumeriabiellese.com/curedpork2.html
    Culatello-the other prosciutto
    http://www.salumeriabiellese.com/curedpork3.html
    Guanciale = pork jowl!

    They have a NJ address also:

    Salumeria Biellese. 234 Park Street. Hackensack

    A mini-chain in NJ that claims to have culatello, I work near 1 so I will see if they do:

    http://www.garyswine.com/local/gourmet_marketplace.html

    NB: The issue w/ culatello etc. may have to with FDA guidelines
    and using nitrites. In Italy, they only use salt!

    In the Baltimore/Washington area why not head up to Attman's
    on old Corned Beef Row?
    http://www.attmansdeli.com/
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,7730269.story
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/O...k-delicatessen

    They have an outpost near Camden Yards/M&T if you're taking in a game

    Around the corner (well nearby) is Nancy Pelosi's old 'hood
    Baltimore's Little Italy - Vaccaro's for dessert.
    http://www.vaccarospastry.com/
    They closed their DC Union Station shop, bah!
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 03-01-2011 at 08:27 PM.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,216
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

    lmao.

  20. #60
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    What kind of sliced meat is he turned into?

    Serve that with Mustard, or Mayo?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us