Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Line

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Defensive Line

Who's watching the combine?

These guys are putting on a show. The athleticism is astounding.

Marvin Austin had a 1.63 10-yard split in the 40 (ran a 4.8) at 309. Are you kidding me? Mayock said that's about average for a RB.

And it's not just him dominating these drills. The whole group is impressive.

I'd like to see the Jets grab two of these players with their 1st two picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenrick Ellis ran a 5.19 unofficial on one of his runs...Ballard ran a 4.7 or so...Watt ran in the 4.7s at 290...Quinn was 265 and ran in the 4.67 unofficial....Aldon Smith ran a 4.74 unofficial....Brooks Reed ran in the 4.6 range and is looking good in drills...there's so many DL in this draft...Lawrence Guy ran a 4.95 and a 5.04 unofficial at 305...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my Wilkerson is becoming my favorite DL in this draft, even over Heyward. Both of those guys could change this D IMO...I wish Cam Jordan didn't destroy this draft process so thoroughly...

Even with the strong 40 Ballard at 6'4 283 is kind of disappointing...I remember when I first heard of him and Googled him he was 6'6 295...then he started shrinking...Heyward managed to have this not happen to him as he came in with the very respectable 6'5 295.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like J.J. Watt (know he will probably be gone). His height reminds me of Gastineau, although he seems a bit lankier.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I really like J.J. Watt (know he will probably be gone). His height reminds me of Gastineau, although he seems a bit lankier.
    JJ Watt- 34 reps, 4.84 40, 37 vert, 10-0 broad at 6-5 290.

good day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post

good day.
    According to the Sporting News, he ran a 4.78
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...p-draft-boards

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post

good day.
    His first run was in the high 4.7s.

Kerrigan ran 4.67.

Aldon Smith looked like a freak in some of these drills. Same with Allen Bailey.

And we haven't even mentioned Dareus or Fairley, who are the most impressive.

These guys are awesome athletes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft day revolt....

And the New York Jets select with their 1st round pick.......a cornerback!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need to find a way to bring Allen Bailey home after what I saw today. Not sure why he dropped off the 1st Round board to begin with....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99 View Post
    Jets need to find a way to bring Allen Bailey home after what I saw today. Not sure why he dropped off the 1st Round board to begin with....
    I love Bailey and I'm a huge Miami fan... but he's just not a great football player yet. Tremendous athlete and most people expected him to kill the combine.

Did you see the week of Senior Bowl practice? He was outmatched.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Houston 4.64
    Mock 4.44

Vontay Miller 4.46
    Last edited by Beerfish; 02-28-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly this draft's depth is in the D-linemen, which is exactly what the Jets need.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I love Bailey and I'm a huge Miami fan... but he's just not a great football player yet. Tremendous athlete and most people expected him to kill the combine.

Did you see the week of Senior Bowl practice? He was outmatched.
    No, he didn't inspire at the Senior Bowl. He is a guy who will feel the affects of teams being gun shy because of the Vernon Gholston disaster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99 View Post
    He's not that good of a football player right now. OTOH, he was bigger and stronger than most of the guys he played against in college.

Can we take Von Miller more seriously now guys?
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-28-2011 at 01:35 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know he's a LB, but Von Miller just ran 4.46 (unofficial)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brooks Reed did well it seems

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Christian Ballard at 4.80 and 33 inch vert... at 283 pounds... I think he's interesting name for the Jets pick

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Justin Houston 6'3 270lbs!!!! He still ran 4.63 but I wonder why he came in at 270? I would have liked to see him at 255-260.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Draft day revolt....

And the New York Jets select with their 1st round pick.......a cornerback!
    That wouldn't bother me at all, CB or any other position on Defense, preferably the front 7.

I'm reading that as many as 5 QB's go in the first round. With it now being a QB driven league every team has to roll the dice to find their Franchise QB; they have no choice.

It's supposedly an incredibly strong draft for D-linemen so I'm sure Tanny does whatever it takes to get pass-rush help.

That's all I want to see, is to keep adding pieces to make the D as dominant as possible, I wouldn't mind seeing the entire draft be D, I only say this because whatever you add to Offense is just a waste...for now.

The Jets are not winning a Super Bowl next year; I've already come to terms with that.

Just a shame, I'm sure this will be a hated statement by the rest of the country, but in my opinion, since my team has NY to start their name they should have the BEST coaches and management in the whole league, EVERY year (just because it's NY), you can never have all the best players, but since it's NY, the best coaches should be a given. That goes for any sport.

Anybody think Brain Shottenheimer and Jeff Wilpon are close friends?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    just got back...

absolutely amazing group of athletes today; both d-line/lb....i would say the number of d-linemen that ran under 5-seconds out-numbered those who did not 3-to-1....also looked terrific in drills....

Robert Quinn looks like he has not missed a beat....Aldon Smith looked sensational in DL/LB drills and the kid from Rice also looked incredibly athletic...

by the way much ado- forget about Ellis...he ran a 5.3 then faked an injury to get out of drills...not good...