Thread: St. John's jumps in the rankings

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

St. John's jumps in the rankings

SJU jumped up to #15 in both the latest ESPN/USA and AP polls. Unbelievable. Joe Lunardi now has them projected to a #4 seed in his NCAA bracket. Who thought this was possible at the beginning of the year? Kudos to Coach Lavin, his staff and most of all, his players. If they can clinch one of the double byes in the Big East tournament, that puts them automatically into the quarterfinals and then a win or two could get them a significant seed in the big dance.
    What an amazing season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkcoll...s-bracketology

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really is an amazing job by this team. Knocking off Duke was huge and has really set the tone for the rest of the season. The loss to UCLA out there may have hurt I thought at the time but this team deserves a #4 seed. I hate to think what happens if they get hot in the Big East Tourney. Great to see this area have a winning college hoops team.

One other team around here deserves some credit as well, the LIU program just wrapped up a 16-2 conference schedule and are 24-5. Not sure if they get an at-large bid if they don't win their tournament but they are at least guaranteed an NIT bid for winning the conference's regular season!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty awesome and incredible. Never would have thought to see them up there this season. Been quite a while since we've had a local college hoops team possibly ranked so high in the tournament.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's all in the coaching. THe sad part is that Lavin will most likely jump ship to a bigger program if they come calling with all this new love St John's is getting just in his 1st year back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    It's all in the coaching. THe sad part is that Lavin will most likely jump ship to a bigger program if they come calling with all this new love St John's is getting just in his 1st year back.
    I disagree. Lavin has a chance to revive college basketball in NYC. St. John's can be a consistent top 15 program with a good coach/recruiter because of the history (think USC Football just before Pete Carroll, though not as storied) if Lavin was able to turn St. John's back into a UConn/Syracuse consistent threat, the exposure alone might be enough to keep him at St. John's (if they pay him like a top coach)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I disagree. Lavin has a chance to revive college basketball in NYC. St. John's can be a consistent top 15 program with a good coach/recruiter because of the history (think USC Football just before Pete Carroll, though not as storied) if Lavin was able to turn St. John's back into a UConn/Syracuse consistent threat, the exposure alone might be enough to keep him at St. John's (if they pay him like a top coach)
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Will they pay him as a top coach? I'd love to see him stay.