Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Post Combine Thoughts on Kerrigan

  1. #1

    Post Combine Thoughts on Kerrigan

    Just want to see what everyone thinks of Kerrigan at this point.

    Seems like his numbers were pretty good from a speed and agility standpoint, but that scouts thought he looked too "Stiff" for a 3-4 OLB.

    However he did 31 reps on the bench which shows quite a bit of strength.

    Given that we arent a traditional 3-4 defense, do you think Kerrigan could play the somewhat hybrid DE position that Suggs played in Balt for Rex.

    They are almost identical in size, he has the speed to be an "edge rusher" from the DE position, and does seem to have the strength to anchor as a DE in rushing downs....as long as he isnt required to eat up too much space.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,370
    Sometimes I think that half the negative stuff that gets floated around about players comes from teams that want the guy to drop.

    If a guy is a legit pass rusher, but a little stiff in coverage, I'm ok with him dropping in coverage 20% of the time. If we could stick Jason Taylor at OLB, we could have him there as well, and have him put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down.

  3. #3
    my thoughts are that there is zero chance he is available when the Jets pick. But I do love him and I think he is what the Jets need.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Sometimes I think that half the negative stuff that gets floated around about players comes from teams that want the guy to drop.

    If a guy is a legit pass rusher, but a little stiff in coverage, I'm ok with him dropping in coverage 20% of the time. If we could stick Jason Taylor at OLB, we could have him there as well, and have him put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down.
    Jason Taylor was cut.

  5. #5
    i had held out hope he wouldn't work out all that great and fall

    that hope is gone... I don't really see how he drops to 30.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,370
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Jason Taylor was cut.
    Yes, I know that. My point was that Jason Taylor dropped into coverage on occasion. If we had Taylor do that, I have no doubt that Kerrigan would be able to do it as well, on occasion. Stiff hips and all.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Just want to see what everyone thinks of Kerrigan at this point.

    Seems like his numbers were pretty good from a speed and agility standpoint, but that scouts thought he looked too "Stiff" for a 3-4 OLB.

    However he did 31 reps on the bench which shows quite a bit of strength.

    Given that we arent a traditional 3-4 defense, do you think Kerrigan could play the somewhat hybrid DE position that Suggs played in Balt for Rex.

    They are almost identical in size, he has the speed to be an "edge rusher" from the DE position, and does seem to have the strength to anchor as a DE in rushing downs....as long as he isnt required to eat up too much space.

    Thoughts?
    Wasn't this precisely the complaint about Gholston?

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,631
    With the all the talent I'm watching here with the DB's, can't help but think we target another DB in the 1st round

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Wasn't this precisely the complaint about Gholston?
    Except I dont think anyone ever wrote that Gholston was a hard worker, gave effort to the whistle, or was a high effort pass rusher.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,465
    when he ran that 4.6, he became 0% available at 30.

  11. #11
    Yes, Kerrigan can play OLB in our 3-4 for aure. How much does Pace drop in coverage, and when he does, he looks pretty damn stiff.

    He won't make it down to us anyway after what he did at the combine. Pats will prolly take him at 17

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i had held out hope he wouldn't work out all that great and fall

    that hope is gone... I don't really see how he drops to 30.
    Mr.T already stated that its open season and we could move up.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Yes, I know that. My point was that Jason Taylor dropped into coverage on occasion. If we had Taylor do that, I have no doubt that Kerrigan would be able to do it as well, on occasion. Stiff hips and all.
    My bad...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Mr.T already stated that its open season and we could move up.
    with no second rounder and no cba (can't trade players) i don't see how. Unless they start mortgaging future picks (i.e. 2012 draft picks).

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Wasn't this precisely the complaint about Gholston?
    Except for Ware I can't remember the last DE/OLB prospect who didn't get this knock...and even then Ware probably got something like "lacks awareness in coverage" or something...no shyte...nearly all of them are DEs tf do they care about coverage for...even Suggs got this knock...Suggs also only ran a 4.8 when everyone expected much more.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i had held out hope he wouldn't work out all that great and fall

    that hope is gone... I don't really see how he drops to 30.
    Bit......what scares heck out of me is the Pats using all their draft ammo and trading up to get a Vonn Miller,Dareus etc, somebody elite.

  17. #17
    He made himself a lot of money this weekend and is now top 15 1mho.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Bit......what scares heck out of me is the Pats using all their draft ammo and trading up to get a Vonn Miller,Dareus etc, somebody elite.
    If they wanted they have the ammo to move and have 3 picks in the top 17.

    Moving 28 and 33 into the top 17 would clean out their 2nd' 3rd's etc but would give them 3 studs. I would actually seriously consider this myself.

    3 picks in the top 17

    Belichick always hits in the first, he is like 90% win in the first in previous picks. A rookie cap would help in paying them. Maybe I will actually crunch the numbers ending up with the 3 highest picks I can manage to get and do a mock

  19. #19
    Alas for that, would have loved to see him in Green and White. Would be happy if we got Reed

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Mr.T already stated that its open season and we could move up.




    No ammo, unless we dangle next year's number one, but that's what got Bobby Beathard in trouble and he never recovered. This is a year where we could use extra picks actually.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us