Thread: Jets targeting Cameron Jordan-

Hall Of Fame

Jets targeting Cameron Jordan-

Joey Clinkscales, vice president/college scouting, on the quality of the defensive/outside linebacker prospects (a need area for the Jets): "I do think there's some depth there this year, and I do think the fact that more college teams are running the 34 defense will help the process as far as guys we're looking at because we're a 34 team."

Clinkscales on Cal DE Cameron Jordan, projected as a mid- to late-first-round pick: "Cal is one of the teams that played a 34 defense. He was a productive player for them this year. He's big and athletic. His father (Steve Jordan, a former Pro Bowl player with the Vikings) played in the league for 10, 12 years, so he has a professional pedigree. He's one of the guys, along with a lot of other guys, we'll be targeting."

Full article:

Jets sound bites from the combine
    February, 28, 2011 Feb 286:06PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiThe Jets' official website -- NewYorkJets.com -- was granted access to team officials and assistant coaches at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, with staffer Eric Allen interviewing them for video blogs. Here's a sampling of selected quotes, many pertaining to the draft:

Joey Clinkscales, vice president/college scouting, on the quality of the defensive/outside linebacker prospects (a need area for the Jets): "I do think there's some depth there this year, and I do think the fact that more college teams are running the 34 defense will help the process as far as guys we're looking at because we're a 34 team."

Clinkscales on Cal DE Cameron Jordan, projected as a mid- to late-first-round pick: "Cal is one of the teams that played a 34 defense. He was a productive player for them this year. He's big and athletic. His father (Steve Jordan, a former Pro Bowl player with the Vikings) played in the league for 10, 12 years, so he has a professional pedigree. He's one of the guys, along with a lot of other guys, we'll be targeting."

UPDATE: Jordan ran a 4.71 40 Monday at the combine, one of the better times for defensive linemen. That will improve his stock, probably taking him out of the Jets' reach with the 30th pick.

Anthony Lynn, running backs coach, on second-year RB Joe McKnight: "The way he finished the season, that's the guy we saw at the combine last year, the guy we like."

Lynn on second-year FB John Conner: "If we were to lose Tony (Richardson, who may retire), we feel very confident that John could be The Man this year."

Henry Ellard, wide receivers coach, on WR Santonio Holmes, who figures to be a coveted free agent: "Santonio is just special at what he does. Just watching him, you can't help but get excited."

All League
    just have to move up 15-20 spots

Hall Of Fame
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Defensive End | California | SR Cameron Jordan
    Height: 6-4 | Weight: 283 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Ideal size with extremely long arms / huge hands
    Excellent athleticism along with NFL bloodlines
    Good balance and agility as well as quick feet
    Displays a varied repertoire of pass rush moves
    A reliable tackler who will deliver the knockout hit
    Will disrupt passing lanes and bat down passes
    Active with good range and does nice job in pursuit
    Showcases violent hands and can get off of blocks
    Strong, powerful and stout at the point of attack
    Competitive and aggressive with a non-stop motor
    Polished technician and understands angles / leverage
    Fantastic football IQ, instincts and awareness
    Able to play multiple positions in different schemes
    Tough and a hard worker who strives for excellence
    Productive and durable with lots of quality experience

Weaknesses:
    Is not overly fast or explosive and lacks a burst
    Is not necessarily a dangerous threat off the edge
    Will struggle in space and doesn't look comfortable
    Will play out of control and lose contain at times
    Ran into some trouble off the field at one point
    Might be a bit of a positional / schematic 'tweener

Notes:
    Was a three-year starter for the Bears --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2010 --- Father, Steve, played tight end in the NFL for 13 seasons and made 6 Pro Bowl's --- Arrested in 2008 for suspicion of driving under the influence and served a one game suspension --- Extremely versatile and could project as a base end capable of moving inside to defensive tackle on occassion in a 4-3 scheme or to a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 front --- Underrated prospect who, like his former teammate Tyson Alualu, could end up being selected much earlier than most realize --- Isn't flashy and may never be a dynamic sack artist in the pros but should be a solid starter for a very long time.

All Pro
    I went to college with his old man. Starting to feel real old.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Yar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

Full article:

Jets sound bites from the combine
    February, 28, 2011 Feb 286:06PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiThe Jets' official website -- NewYorkJets.com -- was granted access to team officials and assistant coaches at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, with staffer Eric Allen interviewing them for video blogs. Here's a sampling of selected quotes, many pertaining to the draft:

UPDATE: Jordan ran a 4.71 40 Monday at the combine, one of the better times for defensive linemen. That will improve his stock, probably taking him out of the Jets' reach with the 30th pick.

Anthony Lynn, running backs coach, on second-year RB Joe McKnight: "The way he finished the season, that's the guy we saw at the combine last year, the guy we like."

Lynn on second-year FB John Conner: "If we were to lose Tony (Richardson, who may retire), we feel very confident that John could be The Man this year."

Henry Ellard, wide receivers coach, on WR Santonio Holmes, who figures to be a coveted free agent: "Santonio is just special at what he does. Just watching him, you can't help but get excited."

He will be long gone by then, Pats fans love him also and feel he will be long gone prior to the Pats first pick at 17.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MACPAC View Post
    He will be long gone by then, Pats fans love him also and feel he will be long gone prior to the Pats first pick at 17.
    I wonder if the Jets aren't sending up a smoke screen. They might try to force the Patriots to wheel and deal for the pick thus losing some picks they have accumulated.

All Pro
    Jordan might be a top 10 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I wonder if the Jets aren't sending up a smoke screen. They might try to force the Patriots to wheel and deal for the pick thus losing some picks they have accumulated.
    I don't think anyone fools Belichick.

We may have never even heard of the guy he takes in the first this year. Look at Mayo, McCourty, Vollmer, Belichick marches to the beat of his own drummer.

I don't think anyone fools Belichick.

We may have never even heard of the guy he takes in the first this year. Look at Mayo, McCourty, Vollmer, Belichick marches to the beat of his own drummer.
    I would agree with you on Mayo and Vollmer,but the drum was definitely beating pretty loud on McCourty.

I don't think anyone fools Belichick, in terms of drafting

Fixed

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I would agree with you on Mayo and Vollmer,but the drum was definitely beating pretty loud on McCourty.
    agreed and Mayo was pretty well regarded by several draftniks.

I think we were considering Mayo but we didn't need a MLB in that draft.

I look at getting either Brooks Reid or one of the lower tiers of that group of DE's, maybe a J.J. Watt or whatever.

One thing I dont want to see is the Pats getting Julio Jones (more likely) or A.J. Green(less likely)

Find me a team that doesn't want Cameron Jordan and I'll find you the team that will replace the Lions as the joke team of the decade this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think we were considering Mayo but we didn't need a MLB in that draft.

I look at getting either Brooks Reid or one of the lower tiers of that group of DE's, maybe a J.J. Watt or whatever.

One thing I dont want to see is the Pats getting Julio Jones (more likely) or A.J. Green(less likely)
    agreed, wouldnt be upset at all if we got Reed

i'd file this under no kidding... the Jets are also targeting patrick peterson to play free safety.

http://www.prodraftcentral.com/the-m...ameron-jordan/
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Mayo and McCourty were value picks and no big surprise. to go at that point in the draft. It was just a surprise to patriot Fans who thought they were going to go for Rivers and Kindle

However, Vollmer, Mankins and Cunningham all were thought to go 1 rd later than when he picked them.

Just being nice to a reporter and not really saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    +1

Barring a trade up, and I don't see that happening, we need more picks, not less, Cam Jordan will be long gone.
    That really was a terrible sentence I wrote. At least the point is easy enough to get across.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

and then some....