Thread: Sam Acho

Sam Acho

Do you think he lasts to the 3rd round? If so, what do you think of the Jets picking him?

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Do you think he lasts to the 3rd round? If so, what do you think of the Jets picking him?

He's a nice player. But the Jets pick at like 94+ in the 3rd. Doubt he's there.
    A late first who's better is Akeem Ayers of UCLA.
    Jets need DE help also. Wilkerson of Temple could be there at #30.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He's a nice player. But the Jets pick at like 94+ in the 3rd. Doubt he's there.
    A late first who's better is Akeem Ayers of UCLA.
    Jets need DE help also. Wilkerson of Temple could be there at #30.
    I have heard he is a meh pass rusher and he ran slow as molasses in the 40 (high 4.8s IIRC). Sounds a lot like the OLBs we have already. We need some speed and pass rush on the outside.
    Last edited by TheMo; 03-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I have heard he is a meh pass rusher and he ran slow as molasses in the 40 (high 4.8s IIRC). Sounds a lot like the OLBs we have already. We need some speed and pass rush on the outside.
    i would usually agree with you but he shocked the hell out of me on sunday....li had him in the mid 4.6's, his fastest hand time in the master was 4.62 with a 4.76 ET....he then looked quick and fluid in position drills- no problem changing direction, no gathering or stop/go....really athletic- which is not what he showed at the senior bowl...

could be just proper training....

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i would usually agree with you but he shocked the hell out of me on sunday....li had him in the mid 4.6's, his fastest hand time in the master was 4.62 with a 4.76 ET....he then looked quick and fluid in position drills- no problem changing direction, no gathering or stop/go....really athletic- which is not what he showed at the senior bowl...

could be just proper training....
    I forgot to bold the Ayers part, I was referring to him with all that stuff. Unless you caught what I meant in which case I must ask where you get your 40s cause I keep reading 4.8 for ayers which is not so hot in my mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I forgot to bold the Ayers part, I was referring to him with all that stuff. Unless you caught what I meant in which case I must ask where you get your 40s cause I keep reading 4.8 for ayers which is not so hot in my mind.
    my bad...i was refering ro Acho...Ayers was poor 4.81 fastest stop watch, 4.88/4.92 electronic times...average vert 31-inc, some of the slowest 3cones of any LB, solid short shuttle...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Brooks Reed
    agreed!

Brooks Reed
    He's a safe bet and just what we need - a speedy, effective pass rusher. Imagine if we get Jenks back healthy, Good Lord the havoc our passrush will wreak!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    He's a safe bet and just what we need - a speedy, effective pass rusher. Imagine if we get Jenks back healthy, Good Lord the havoc our passrush will wreak!
    i like brooks reed- don't know if i like him for the Jets in round one- but the last thing i'd call a college defensive end that's expected to move to OLB in the NFL is a "safe bet"....

I bet Acho goes after the 2nd.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i like brooks reed- don't know if i like him for the Jets in round one- but the last thing i'd call a college defensive end that's expected to move to OLB in the NFL is a "safe bet"....
    That's an interesting point. You basically started the Brooks Reed love fest here and its now a boulder rolling downhill and picking up steam rapidly.

I like everything that I've seen from the kid (admittedly its been all after the season after hearing the hype), but he is rapidly approaching Chuck Norris status. Biggest reservation I have about the kid is that he's no longer a kid really - he's already 24. He may very well already have his man strength.

There really should be a list of JI Draft Board favorites, with Jarron Gilbert serving as the poster boy. Brooks Reed seems to be rapidly approaching. No knock on the guy, per se, but I fear that people may be building him up into something he's not. If he was legitimately what we are discussing, he'd probably be gone before #30.

Reed is more f'd up by the dumb Clay Matthews comparisons out there than anything...He's got all the measurables and tape of a top 40 pick...it's this annoying insistence on the internet that he HAS to be compared to Clay Matthews because they're both white DE/LB prospects with long flowing blonde hair that messes him up.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's an interesting point. You basically started the Brooks Reed love fest here and its now a boulder rolling downhill and picking up steam rapidly.

I like everything that I've seen from the kid (admittedly its been all after the season after hearing the hype), but he is rapidly approaching Chuck Norris status. Biggest reservation I have about the kid is that he's no longer a kid really - he's already 24. He may very well already have his man strength.

There really should be a list of JI Draft Board favorites, with Jarron Gilbert serving as the poster boy. Brooks Reed seems to be rapidly approaching. No knock on the guy, per se, but I fear that people may be building him up into something he's not. If he was legitimately what we are discussing, he'd probably be gone before #30.
    i started it with the thought process of Brooks Reed in the third round, not round one....he's obviously improved his grade but he's a risk and most certainly not a safe bet in round one...

the Jets pick at 30. it's basically a 2nd round pick. The way most guys have this thing graded out there are maybe 15-20 legit 1st round grades... any thing after that is either a 1-2 cusp or a solid 2. especially after Senior Bowl and combine Reed at 30 is just fine value-wise. they probably hope a Cameron Jordan or Ryan Kerrigan falls but if he doesn't could do alot worse than Reed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the Jets pick at 30. it's basically a 2nd round pick. The way most guys have this thing graded out there are maybe 15-20 legit 1st round grades... any thing after that is either a 1-2 cusp or a solid 2. especially after Senior Bowl and combine Reed at 30 is just fine value-wise. they probably hope a Cameron Jordan or Ryan Kerrigan falls but if he doesn't could do alot worse than Reed.
    ironically, according to the draft value board, if the jets were to trade down even 5-6 spots they would get an additional pick at the top of the 4th round. i'd take that 4th rounder and use it with their 3rd rounder to move up in the 3rd. they could probably get 2 pretty good defenders that way in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    ironically, according to the draft value board, if the jets were to trade down even 5-6 spots they would get an additional pick at the top of the 4th round. i'd take that 4th rounder and use it with their 3rd rounder to move up in the 3rd. they could probably get 2 pretty good defenders that way in this draft.
    I like your thinking there. As you know, I love Reed and I am SUPER fearful that he will end up on the Pats like Dan Klecko did!

Veteran
    I like your thinking there. As you know, I love Reed and I am SUPER fearful that he will end up on the Pats like Dan Klecko did!
    dan klecko was a 4th round pick. i don't think the jets missed out on that one. besides i don't see the patriots being interested in a player like reed. imo they'll sooner draft for DL, OL, RB and WR before they'll draft a risky OLB prospect.