Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any of you dudes rely on car gps?

Any of you dudes rely on car gps?

[URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html"]http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html[/URL]

What ever happened to following a map? I swear if some peoples gps told them to go over a cliff to get to the road to the other side they would comply.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3972968][URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html"]http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html[/URL]

What ever happened to following a map? I swear if some peoples gps told them to go over a cliff to get to the road to the other side they would comply.[/QUOTE]

Tried one out on a rental once. I dont like having my eyes off the road for as long as it takes to look at the GPS.

Like you, i really dont think of it as "easier" than a map.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3972968][URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html"]http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Well, it was a woman driver.

Yes. When traveling out of town, it always gets me to my destination.

A map? really? Who the hell wants to deal with folding one of those things up. Power button, type in the address. Done.
    Last edited by OrangeJet; 03-04-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I do use the GPS because I suck at directions. Having said that, they're not infallible. Seems the New Jersey jug handles have them completely baffled.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3972968][URL]http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2011/03/03/nb-gps-driver-speaks.html[/URL]

What ever happened to following a map? I swear if some peoples gps told them to go over a cliff to get to the road to the other side they would comply.[/QUOTE]

If I was one of those snowmobilers I woulda smashed that

Hall Of Fame
    All the time. I am terrible with directions, I find the GPS invaluable. Also like having it when the kids are driving somewhere they haven't been before.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;3973000]Yes. When traveling out of town, it always gets me to my destination.

A map? really? Who the hell wants to deal with folding one of those things up. Power button, type in the address. Done.[/QUOTE]

You need both. I was traveling home from upstate NY last winter coming down RT 17. RT 17 was actually closed for a stretch due to black ice. Needed a map to figure out an alternate route. Took about 30 seconds to find. GPS readjusted itself once we got underway.

Do gas stations even provide or sell maps anymore? Used to be that you can walk into an Exxon and ask for a map or directions and would get a clear answer in English as to where to go...today you ask about a street that might be three blocks away and you get looked at funny.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3973006] Having said that, they're not infallible. Seems the New Jersey jug handles have them completely baffled.[/QUOTE]

Parts of Pennsylvania too.

The thing got me lost in the fargin woods once (paved road turns into one lane, unpaved dirt road..:eek:) Once I backtracked and found the correct way, I could see no reason for it to send me the way it did.

I turned it on as a goof on the way to a place I was certain of the correct way. At the exit you can go right or left. Period. This thing told me left. There was no possible way you could get to where I needed to go if I made that turn.

So, unless I'm in a major metro area, I wouldnt trust them completely.

Lol I like to think of myself as old fashioned even for my young age, but this is ridiculous. I'm great with direction and I can get around fine without one, but if one is available to you, why are you NOT using it? It's not like the car automatically takes you to where it's directing you.

You type in the address, and you use it...if you don't like where it's telling you to go, you just follow your own route and it'll automatically recalculate.

Plus the built in Lexus GPS is incredible...I almost literally don't drive anywhere out of town without using it...if nothing else, it gives you detour routes if there's traffic on the road.

It's like an insurance policy against reaching your destination in an inefficient manner...

Jets Insider VIP
    Never. I'm a geography nut anyway and an excellent map reader. All I usually have to do is look at Google maps and I can pretty much memorize my route.

Hall Of Fame
    I also like the feature that lets you know (subject to traffic) when you are supposed to arrive somewhere.

Have a tournament game tommow down in Morristown, plug in the address tonite and it'll give me the arrival time, that way I know tomorrow am about what time I need to leave to get there before opening face-off.

_

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3973135]Never. I'm a geography nut anyway and an excellent map reader. All I usually have to do is look at Google maps and I can pretty much memorize my route.[/QUOTE]

Crazily im the same way. I look at google maps ahead of time, and if its less than 7-8 turns, i memorize the route, and often use the suns location for a general marker (sounds stupid, but im serious).

Longer than 7-8 turns, i scribble down hieroglyphics which only i can interpret, but get me where i need to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3973153]Crazily im the same way. I look at google maps ahead of time, and if its less than 7-8 turns, i memorize the route, and often use the suns location for a general marker (sounds stupid, but im serious).

Longer than 7-8 turns, i scribble down hieroglyphics which only i can interpret, but get me where i need to go.[/QUOTE]

You used to be a plumber, right? So you're used to tracking down addresses all day doing service calls....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3973153]Crazily im the same way. I look at google maps ahead of time, and if its less than 7-8 turns, i memorize the route, and often use the suns location for a general marker (sounds stupid, but im serious).

Longer than 7-8 turns, i scribble down hieroglyphics which only i can interpret, but get me where i need to go.[/QUOTE]

Actually, directions are my least manly trait.

That old "men don't stop to ask for directions" thingy?

Not me. I'll stop every 2 turns and re-ask for directions. If the directions involve more than 2 turns I'll zone out on the last bit of direction help figuring I'll stop again after the two turns I bothered to listen to.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=JStokes;3973158]Actually, directions are my least manly trait.

[/QUOTE]

Must not.....must...not...must not.....

-

All League

[B]Not me. I'll stop every 2 turns and re-ask for directions. If the directions involve more than 2 turns I'll zone out on the last bit of direction help figuring I'll stop again after the two turns I bothered to listen to.[/B]
    _[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that most people suck at giving directions - maybe it's not you :cool:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3973155]You used to be a plumber, right? So you're used to tracking down addresses all day doing service calls....[/QUOTE]
    I used to look for water running down the driveway, or the guy with the wrench in his hand waving you in from the sidewalk.:P

[B]Not me. I'll stop every 2 turns and re-ask for directions. If the directions involve more than 2 turns I'll zone out on the last bit of direction help figuring I'll stop again after the two turns I bothered to listen to[/B].

_[/QUOTE]

LOL.

I dont mind asking, but cant stand pulling off the freeway, because usually when i try to get back to the onramp, i need to make a u-turn, and it just so happens there is a NO UTURN sign at every intersection in the area...forcing you to drive all around and FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3973159]Must not.....must...not...must not.....

-[/QUOTE]

Choose your words...

_