View Poll Results: Carolina (1.1/3.1) pick (choose only one):

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dareus (DT)

    4 9.52%
  • Bowers (DT)

    14 33.33%
  • Newton (QB)

    10 23.81%
  • Gabbert (QB)

    3 7.14%
  • Fairley (DE)

    5 11.90%
  • Green (WR)

    1 2.38%
  • Peterson (CB)

    5 11.90%
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: JI Consensus Mock: #1 Carolina Panthers

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    JI Consensus Mock: #1 Carolina Panthers

    Hope this is fun and will be interesting to compare with the actual draft. I'm going to post the first five teams in the draft with poll choices (including other) and keep a tally of which player our JI crew selects overall. As the players are selected, they will be removed from the next round of five until we get to the end of the first round. So here goes with pick # 1: Carolina... (their position for the first two rounds is indicated) Carolina has no 2nd round pick...
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 03-06-2011 at 08:27 AM.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defensive End D'Quan Bowers -- Julius Peppers' replacement.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gabbert. Positional value.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Defensive End D'Quan Bowers -- Julius Peppers' replacement.
    +1. Also this is a great idea, but might it work better if you staggered the votes day by day. If I pick Bowers this round then what stops me from taking him at pick 2?

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going with the dark horse pick with Peterson.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I am going with the dark horse pick with Peterson.
    That's who I picked as well.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just not sold that Cam Newton will go #1 overall, if he does that would be a horrible mistake... At least the rookie wage scale should be in effect... I think Newton ends up being a bust, spread option QB in the NFL? No thanks..

    I think they can go Darius, Bowers, Fairley, and maybe Peterson. I'm not sure who they take...

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I'm just not sold that Cam Newton will go #1 overall, if he does that would be a horrible mistake... At least the rookie wage scale should be in effect... I think Newton ends up being a bust, spread option QB in the NFL? No thanks..

    I think they can go Darius, Bowers, Fairley, and maybe Peterson. I'm not sure who they take...
    What they should pick and who they will pick are two different things. Newton is the mass-appeal pick since he's a QB with a big name and he killed at his workouts. I think there's a distinct possibility Newton goes 1 overall.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    +1. Also this is a great idea, but might it work better if you staggered the votes day by day. If I pick Bowers this round then what stops me from taking him at pick 2?
    I'm hoping that each voter will be consistent with himself and pick by elimination. It will be interesting to see what's left as we go along. Probably closer to reality as this stuff is always decided by committees...

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the question should be who is the best player here? I will say Peterson because where I do not think he will be a Revis CB I do think he will be a sure thing here to be a very good CB. You can say Fairley but do you really want to waist a 1st rounder on a DT? DTs tend to fall and quality DTs are always hanging around late in the draft. AJ is much the same as Peterson. Looks like a sure thing to be very good but no Jerry Rice. That pretty much seems like the top 3 to me.

    I keep hearing Browers but all he does well is sack the QB. That and given his injury right now I think people are well over rating his value. I'd much rather have Quinn who is a much more rounded player. That said you can pass on both and still get quality at in the 2nd there. 3-4 OLB is an easy position to fill in all honesty. That is the main reason teams are switching right now. Now Dareus may be the dark horse. He is the only 3-4 DE worth a 1st and will likely be a top 7 pick do why not take him early just because you need that badly. If Carolina is serious about running a 3-4 that should give him an outstanding edge as the best fit of the bunch.

    There is no question about the QBs here none are top prospects worth the pick. In the past it was a matter of if your paying 60 mil guaranteed to a player it better be a QB. The new CBA will have a rookie cap so I think the days of teams jumping on QBs with the 1 just cuz is a thing of the past. You can hype Gabbert or Cam all you want but neither are top flight prospects that look like the next Joe. Just look at the guys sense Manning to go #1 overall and tell me those teams wouldn't do it different. Tim Couch BUST, Michael Vick BUST, David Carr BUST, Carson Palmer Questionable was never top tier IMO, Eli Manning (outstanding TRADE Giants just gave up too much for an average QB SD big win here), Alex Smith BUST, JaMarcus Russell MASSIVE BUST, Matthew Stafford Closing in on bust if he can't stay healthy, Sam Bradford GOLD? still early. There is arguably 5 of the top 10 bust of all NFL history in that group that is crazy bad. No team wants to add to that list trust me.

    Personally I'd rather pick up a vet BU and give Clausen a fair shot to prove himself if not next year is much better prospect wise. Do you really want to take a Cam Newton #1 if you can have a shot at Luck, Barclay, Jones, Brantley, Cousins, or Pryor next year? Pryor is basically the same play as Newton and he will likely be a 4th rounder in next years draft class. I think Barclay is the best pro prospect I've ever seen and many will say the same for Luck. Next year is MUCH better QB talent wise. As a fan if my GM took Cam #1 I'd be mad because it would be a pick to make money and not win games.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 03-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I think the question should be who is the best player here? I will say Peterson because where I do not think he will be a Revis CB I do think he will be a sure thing here to be a very good CB. You can say Fairley but do you really want to waist a 1st rounder on a DT? DTs tend to fall and quality DTs are always hanging around late in the draft. AJ is much the same as Peterson. Looks like a sure thing to be very good but no Jerry Rice. That pretty much seems like the top 3 to me.

    I keep hearing Browers but all he does well is sack the QB. That and given his injury right now I think people are well over rating his value. I'd much rather have Quinn who is a much more rounded player. That said you can pass on both and still get quality at in the 2nd there. 3-4 OLB is an easy position to fill in all honesty. That is the main reason teams are switching right now. Now Dareus may be the dark horse. He is the only 3-4 DE worth a 1st and will likely be a top 7 pick do why not take him early just because you need that badly. If Carolina is serious about running a 3-4 that should give him an outstanding edge as the best fit of the bunch.

    There is no question about the QBs here none are top prospects worth the pick. In the past it was a matter of if your paying 60 mil guaranteed to a player it better be a QB. The new CBA will have a rookie cap so I think the days of teams jumping on QBs with the 1 just cuz is a thing of the past. You can hype Gabbert or Cam all you want but neither are top flight prospects that look like the next Joe. Just look at the guys sense Manning to go #1 overall and tell me those teams wouldn't do it different. Tim Couch BUST, Michael Vick BUST, David Carr BUST, Carson Palmer Questionable was never top tier IMO, Eli Manning (outstanding TRADE Giants just gave up too much for an average QB SD big win here), Alex Smith BUST, JaMarcus Russell MASSIVE BUST, Matthew Stafford Closing in on bust if he can't stay healthy, Sam Bradford GOLD? still early. There is arguably 5 of the top 10 bust of all NFL history in that group that is crazy bad. No team wants to add to that list trust me.

    Personally I'd rather pick up a vet BU and give Clausen a fair shot to prove himself if not next year is much better prospect wise. Do you really want to take a Cam Newton #1 if you can have a shot at Luck, Barclay, Jones, Brantley, Cousins, or Pryor next year? Pryor is basically the same play as Newton and he will likely be a 4th rounder in next years draft class. I think Barclay is the best pro prospect I've ever seen and many will say the same for Luck. Next year is MUCH better QB talent wise. As a fan if my GM took Cam #1 I'd be mad because it would be a pick to make money and not win games.
    GREAT post. I agree whole-heartedly with what you stated, but your last sentence is why I picked Newton to go to #1. The Panthers need to sell tix w/a big name. Cam has a HUGE ceiling & following (Auburn) which can help stimulate this franchise. It's a flashier pick and that seems to have a higher payoff.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    GREAT post. I agree whole-heartedly with what you stated, but your last sentence is why I picked Newton to go to #1. The Panthers need to sell tix w/a big name. Cam has a HUGE ceiling & following (Auburn) which can help stimulate this franchise. It's a flashier pick and that seems to have a higher payoff.
    Thanks it is nice to be noted. Believe it or not even when they are bad the Panthers sell a LOT of tickets. They where 6th in ticket sales in 2010 if you can believe it. As opposed to TB and SL who couldn't even sell out in a PO run. If Carolina drafts him just to make money I'm not sure even that pays off a whole lot. Not to say Clausen would not be a draw if he does play good as well. ND QBs get a lot of support if they produce in the pro's. The north east would all be on the Carolina band wagon if he turned it on. I hate the guy but yes he could be a very productive QB if they give him more time to throw and a fare chance to play.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peterson's the best player in the draft, but Newton really would make sense for the Panthers. Newton with a good coach will be a top NFL QB. Their OL doesn't suck, and they have two really badass RBs too...instantly they're a very strong candidate to be the best running game in the league next year. Maybe even sit him for a year...maybe.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Peterson's the best player in the draft, but Newton really would make sense for the Panthers. Newton with a good coach will be a top NFL QB. Their OL doesn't suck, and they have two really badass RBs too...instantly they're a very strong candidate to be the best running game in the league next year. Maybe even sit him for a year...maybe.
    Deangelo Williams is a free agent. Doubt they sign him to big money with Stewart already under contract.

    I just don't get the Newton hype.

    Screams system QB to me. In time he might turn into a good QB, but I think it is to much of a gamble at #1, especially when you have a great safe pick in Peterson or Green.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in mind is that a CB has, I believe, never been taken #1 in the draft. Given some of the complaints about Peterson's technique, with guys like Deion Sanders arguing he might make a better safety, I doubt very strongly he will be picked by Carolina. The question will be QB, DT, or DE, IMHO.

    Also, I should have had Bowers at DE, not DT. FAirley as DT not DE.

    I do think a big concern for Carolina and a potential pick changer is that they have no second round pick... they won't get a stud defensive player to mitigate the QB gamble at #1. For that reason I think they go defense with their first pick.
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 03-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that a CB has, I believe, never been taken #1 in the draft. Given some of the complaints about Peterson's technique, with guys like Deion Sanders arguing he might make a better safety, I doubt very strongly he will be picked by Carolina. The question will be QB, DT, or DE, IMHO.

    Also, I should have had Bowers at DE, not DT.
    That is true that a CB has never been taking number 1,

    But remember the other spread qb taken number 1?

    Yeah, Alex Smith.

    Also, I think that safety talk was put to bed with Peterson's 40 times at the combine.

    Also, fwiw, Sanders seemed to change his mind after the combine as well...

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...raft-prospect/

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    people talk about Carolina needing a DE... they have Greg Hardy and Everette Brown... i'd take those players on the Jets no questions asked. Their QB need is way more dire. Clausen sucks.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went with Cam Newton....I watch every SEC game I can and probably watched 9 or 10 Auburn games. I've never seen a QB tear through SEC defenses like he did, and it wasn't just his legs. I know about all the spread offense, transition to the pros stuff.

    But guys like Cam Newton don't come around that often. He is definitely a higher risk than others..... but if you hit with him, you can hit huge.

    He's a gamble I'd be willing to take if I were the Panthers.....He just screams winner to me the way he played under huge pressure all season

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    CAROLINA HAS PICKED. POLL CLOSED.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us