Thread: Couple guys from South-miss and a Clemsonite

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple guys from South-miss and a Clemsonite

Curious as to what you guys think of the following prospects. I'm not very well plugged in this year, got too much on the go this winter..
    (in other words, this is disclaimer if i miss something obvious about these guys)

So let's say the Jets grab Reed or someother passrushing threat with 1st pick, and address the S and another OLB in rnds 3/4...

what do you ppl think of these later round prospects?

-Clemson's J. Jenkins as a 3-4 DE? 6-4, 310.

-Anthony Gray at NT? 6-0, 314

-DeAndre Brown WR (we need to start grooming someone) 6-6, 230

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    no one. not a single increment of thought on these guys..

c'mon

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    DeAndre Brown would be a nice red zone addition for us.....If we can snag him in the later rounds, that'd be cool. Not sure if he'll ever be a number 1 or 2 guy though

The DE from Clemson is not much of a playmaker and I've heard Clemson fans complaining about the effort he gives overall from play to play. He had to be subbed in and out alot while there. I guess he could be a decent late round project guy, but I like to stay away from loafers in college in general.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    DeAndre Brown would be a nice red zone addition for us.....If we can snag him in the later rounds, that'd be cool. Not sure if he'll ever be a number 1 or 2 guy though

The DE from Clemson is not much of a playmaker and I've heard Clemson fans complaining about the effort he gives overall from play to play. He had to be subbed in and out alot while there. I guess he could be a decent late round project guy, but I like to stay away from loafers in college in general.
    Cool, ya i think i read some about that Jenkins guy having all the tools, but not the heart at times. Who knows, maybe Rex can bring the best out of him?

I'm thinking Brown for exactly that, future WR-3 and red zone guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    bump.. they brought in Jenkins. Works for me

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    im not thrilled with Jenkins but he's gonna be valued for his size and other gifts. He's ok i guess... primarily a run stuffer.

Anthony Gray is a very interesting name... the same dude Waldo broke down the nose tackles by numbers... and even tho he's short he stout and somewhat fast.

check out Pouha by the way... this is why I don't think the Jets need a Phil Taylor. Pouha is BETTER than Phil Taylor.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    im not thrilled with Jenkins but he's gonna be valued for his size and other gifts. He's ok i guess... primarily a run stuffer.

Anthony Gray is a very interesting name... the same dude Waldo broke down the nose tackles by numbers... and even tho he's short he stout and somewhat fast.

check out Pouha by the way... this is why I don't think the Jets need a Phil Taylor. Pouha is BETTER than Phil Taylor.
    Wow, I really didn't think Pouha was that good of an athlete. He beat some of the top NT in many of those categories. Despite this apparent athletic prowess, he only remains a stout run stuffer and cannot push the pocket. I still wouldn't mind another body in there...play on the field dictates my feelings more than these numbers and at 32 I can't say Pouha is going to get any better than he already is, serviceable and stout, but not special.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha beat Ngata in almost every category outside of bench... kinda ridiculous. That said it makes me question how much this kind of number crunching can help in determining better player options. If you added the final numbers up you'd end up taking Pouha over Ngata...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marvin Austin... holy crap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Marvin Austin... holy crap.
    Id love to see us trade back and get austin with one of the picks. Excellent "value" pick as he would definitely have been in the 1st/top of the 2nd round if he played last year. He isnt injured and I dont think his history screams "character concerns".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Pouha beat Ngata in almost every category outside of bench... kinda ridiculous. That said it makes me question how much this kind of number crunching can help in determining better player options. If you added the final numbers up you'd end up taking Pouha over Ngata...
    based on how the Jets defense have played and how the Ravens defense have played... they aren't that far apart. obviously Ngata is better but not by much.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Id love to see us trade back and get austin with one of the picks. Excellent "value" pick as he would definitely have been in the 1st/top of the 2nd round if he played last year. He isnt injured and I dont think his history screams "character concerns".
    Where would you put Austin? He seems like D-Rob reincarnate. Too light to play the nose, but not really meant for the 5 Technique. More suited as a penetrating UT.

I don't necessarily have a problem taking a guy like that in a later round to fit a role (ala Trevor Pryce perhaps), but I'm hesitant to take a guy that high who doesn't really fit in our base defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Where would you put Austin? He seems like D-Rob reincarnate. Too light to play the nose, but not really meant for the 5 Technique. More suited as a penetrating UT.

I don't necessarily have a problem taking a guy like that in a later round to fit a role (ala Trevor Pryce perhaps), but I'm hesitant to take a guy that high who doesn't really fit in our base defense.
    I agree with that assessment. He plays on skates, running all around the field, making tackles but never holding his gap. on 3rd and long could be an inside pass rushing force but yeah at that point you are drafting this guy for 1 down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jenkins isn't really a standout guy now, but I think he's a very projectable DT. If I liked Clemson DL I'd be calling him the guy most likely to have a Kris Jenkins-esque career. I think he' more of a long term NT possiblity than a true 3-4 DE, but I'm also a big believer that a guy who can play on a 3 man DL is going to be capable of playing all 3 spots...not true for all 3-4 DL, but the good ones...yes.

Austin's another guy I could see blossoming in 3 years....I've heard the Dockett comparison for him and I don't dislike it...I just wish he was a couple inches taller.