Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dad is waiting for son's murderer...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;3975580]I am not going to address the issue of the father wanting vengeance. The justice system has ruled on this case and I hope/pray that the parole board will do the right thing. I in no way condone any type of vigilante action, however I can empathize with what the father is feeling.

However, I am going to assume - for your benefit and everyone elses - that you honestly don't believe this guy has been rehabilitated. My guess, is that you wrote this while intoxicated or under the influence of a narcotic.

I am a law enforcement officer that has actively worked sex offender investigations and captured fugitives such as these. I have no idea what your background is, but I am going to assume that my experience in investigating and interviewing these types of predators far exceeds your own.

You are entitled to your own uninformed opinion, but I can tell you that these people cannot be rehabilitated, they will offend again and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You can all choose to sleep easy covered with the blanket of liberal BS thinking about how rehab or counseling or whatever can change these types of offenders. I can tell you with an absolute certainty - as the sun will rise tomorrow - that this guy will re-offend because they all do. FWIW, every guy we have picked up has been the same and they all had multiple victims and re-offended.[/QUOTE]

Wow. It's amazing how poorly text translates sometimes.

I would have thought that the whole "skinning with a steak knife" comment would have made it clear how I really feel about this situation. I fully support the father, and the comment in the first line is just in case other's would have thrown out the argument that he "paid his debt."

No I don't believe he's been rehabilitated, nor do I care if he has. If I was the kid's father, and this dude came out of jail "fully rehabilitated" with the intent of doing nothing other than serving food to the homeless for the rest of his life, I would kill him while he had the soup ladle in his hand.

Maybe that's more clear.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my back yard. My nephew and niece live in that town. If the dad is sincere, he probably should have been quiet about his intentions. But I think it would be hard to find a jury to convict the guy who had his five year old taken from him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dexter.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...bottom line...he killed and ate a 5 yr old boy...he doesn't deserve to be rehabilitated...and there's nothing uncivilized about that...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;3975580]You are entitled to your own uninformed opinion[/QUOTE]

This should be the Official Hampur Motto!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3975924]I never said don't lock someone up for a violent crime, I said don't put someone in prison because he got caught carrying or using drugs (for the offense of carrying or using drugs), that to me is ridiculous, a waste of taxpayer money, a waste of prison space we can use for the people who need it, and most of all cruel and excessive punishment for a non violent and victimless crime, cruel because you know darn well what often happens to such kids in prison, they get beaten, raped and sometimes hang themsleves just to escape the torment and/or shame.

If people knew what went on inside most prisons, and I know you do, they would never advocate throwing drug users to the lions the way we do, especially when they consider one day it might be their own kid.

You take a kid from the burbs who got caught with a few grams of coke and throw him in Rikers Island and you are esstentially sentencing that kid to torture.

Is that justice?[/QUOTE]

I came very close to going to jail in Gary Indiana, I'm not even sure what the charges would have been. Very minor misdemeanor stuff, just a lot of it, at a Ted Nugent Concert.

That could have been a bad scene, and you'd have to be a real douchebag to send someone to a place like a jail in Gary for doing basically nothing. Again, admittedly a lot of nothing. I was actually cuffed and waiting for a wagon. Talked my way out of it luckily. Lots of folks have their lives ruined like that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3976196]Wow. It's amazing how poorly text translates sometimes.

I would have thought that the whole "skinning with a steak knife" comment would have made it clear how I really feel about this situation. I fully support the father, and the comment in the first line is just in case other's would have thrown out the argument that he "paid his debt."

No I don't believe he's been rehabilitated, nor do I care if he has. If I was the kid's father, and this dude came out of jail "fully rehabilitated" with the intent of doing nothing other than serving food to the homeless for the rest of his life, I would kill him while he had the soup ladle in his hand.

Maybe that's more clear.[/QUOTE]

Ok.

Hopefully you will understand that I really don't have a good sense of humor when it comes to these things. My usual customers are not the best clientele and interviewing victims isn't a "fun" experience.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3976565]This should be the Official Hampur Motto![/QUOTE]

I have pulled a Bart Scott and registered this now...

[B]"You are entitled to your own uninformed opinion." ®[/B]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3976596]Ever feel the urge to shoot one of these SOB's (child molesters) and say they were resisting arrest?

On second thought don't answer that, you never know who might be watching.[/QUOTE]

In my experience, most of them have been very arrogant and self-centered with very little/to no empathy. They truly are indifferent about what they have done and can be quite smug. There is absolutely nothing better in the world than that moment when you put the cuffs on them or they are sitting in the interview room and the conversation turns to the "gotcha" moment.

It isn't like on TV where the cops yell and scream and the bad guy confesses. There is a much more subtle realization that begins creeping in as all that arrogant self-confidence melts away. They are so used to being in the driver's seat manipulating little kids that when the tables are turned in an interview, they don't actually realize until it is too late that the person sitting across the table isn't going away and isn't going to fall for their manipulation.

Interviews are actually very exhausting. They are verbal boxing matches, where depending on your opponent you use different techniques. The quiet guys, you just sit there and talk and talk and talk and let that pressure of all that evidence build up to a breaking point. The talkers - they are in my opinion easier to crack but much more exhausting. The first part of the interview is a verbal sparring match where you just dance back and forth with them - they are used to talking their way out of everything. You really have to be mentally tough and stick with your gut because it is so scarey how convincing they sound. But there a comes a certain point when you have defeated all their explanations and you go on the offensive. You basically take control of the interview and you don't let them get a word in edgewise.

Of course once the interview is completed, all these tough guys demand to be in isolation.
    Last edited by klecko73; 03-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very insightful Klecko73, thank you for your post.

Does anyone ever refuse to talk with out a Lawyer? Is it common to refuse?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3976610]Very insightful Klecko73, thank you for your post.

Does anyone ever refuse to talk with out a Lawyer? Is it common to refuse?[/QUOTE]

The overwhelming majority of individuals, in my experience, will sign a Miranda waiver and continue with an interview in a custodial interrogation.

Remember, you cannot self-invoke Miranda and Miranda is not required in all circumstances. Miranda is required provided two criteria have been met: #1 - you are in custody (meaning you are not free to leave) and #2 - I want to question you. The catch phrase for us is "custodial interrogation." I can arrest you (depriving you of your liberty and freedom to leave) but not read you Miranda because I have no intention of interviewing you. Conversely, you may be free to go at any time (meaning you are not in custody), but I can interview you and I am not required to Mirandize you.

I have had plenty of voluntary interviews where I have explicitly told the subject they are free to leave at any time (usually meaning from my perspective that I don't have PC to make an arrest). During the progression of that interview, I may get an admission or even confession, at which point in time I will stop the interview and Mirandize them because I have made a decision that I am going to arrest them at that point in time. Even then, they will waive Miranda and continue the interview.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;3976606]In my experience, most of them have been very arrogant and self-centered with very little/to no empathy. They truly are indifferent about what they have done and can be quite smug. There is absolutely nothing better in the world than that moment when you put the cuffs on them or they are sitting in the interview room and the conversation turns to the "gotcha" moment.

It isn't like on TV where the cops yell and scream and the bad guy confesses. There is a much more subtle realization that begins creeping in as all that arrogant self-confidence melts away. They are so used to being in the driver's seat manipulating little kids that when the tables are turned in an interview, they don't actually realize until it is too late that the person sitting across the table isn't going away and isn't going to fall for their manipulation.

Interviews are actually very exhausting. They are verbal boxing matches, where depending on your opponent you use different techniques. The quiet guys, you just sit there and talk and talk and talk and let that pressure of all that evidence build up to a breaking point. The talkers - they are in my opinion easier to crack but much more exhausting. The first part of the interview is a verbal sparring match where you just dance back and forth with them - they are used to talking their way out of everything. You really have to be mentally tough and stick with your gut because it is so scarey how convincing they sound. But there a comes a certain point when you have defeated all their explanations and you go on the offensive. You basically take control of the interview and you don't let them get a word in edgewise.

Of course once the interview is completed, all these tough guys demand to be in isolation.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the insight.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3976618]Great Post

I have a friend who's a homicide detective and he feels the same way, breaking these guys down is his favorite part of the job, he has three kids of his own and he told me that makes it all worth it, said there's a lot of politics and a lot of paper-work and a lot not to like about the job, but when you nail one of these fiends that makes it all worth it.

As for demanding PC, they know the deal, they know they won't last five minutes in general population. I saw one of these guys come into the Tombs many years ago, before the system started treating them with kid gloves, when it was okay for cops to admit they hated these degenerates too, and the CO let it "slip" that he was a child molester ... less than five minutes later he was being rushed to the ICU

Those were the good old days when we allowed justice to be served with these fiends.[/QUOTE]
    Damn!

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3976667]Child molesters are universally despised, WCO, even criminals hate them with a passion.

Its really not surprising when you think about it, even criminals have families and love their children.[/QUOTE]

The CO acted on the impulses that are driving the subject of this thread mad.

Practice Squad
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL by way of Brentwood, New York.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rep;3975533]I wouldn't blink an eye if he killed the guy, but pretty stupid to announce your intentions. That's premeditation, which leads to 1st degree murder.[/QUOTE]

He'd never be convicted! at least I would find him not guilty.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;3976606]In my experience, most of them have been very arrogant and self-centered with very little/to no empathy. They truly are indifferent about what they have done and can be quite smug. There is absolutely nothing better in the world than that moment when you put the cuffs on them or they are sitting in the interview room and the conversation turns to the "gotcha" moment.

Of course once the interview is completed, all these tough guys demand to be in isolation.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=klecko73;3976612]The overwhelming majority of individuals, in my experience, will sign a Miranda waiver and continue with an interview in a custodial interrogation.

Remember, you cannot self-invoke Miranda and Miranda is not required in all circumstances. Miranda is required provided two criteria have been met: #1 - you are in custody (meaning you are not free to leave) and #2 - I want to question you. The catch phrase for us is "custodial interrogation." I can arrest you (depriving you of your liberty and freedom to leave) but not read you Miranda because I have no intention of interviewing you. Conversely, you may be free to go at any time (meaning you are not in custody), but I can interview you and I am not required to Mirandize you.

I have had plenty of voluntary interviews where I have explicitly told the subject they are free to leave at any time (usually meaning from my perspective that I don't have PC to make an arrest). During the progression of that interview, I may get an admission or even confession, at which point in time I will stop the interview and Mirandize them because I have made a decision that I am going to arrest them at that point in time. Even then, they will waive Miranda and continue the interview.[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff klecko.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;3976606]

Joran van der Sloot

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3976681]To be honest I think most people share that impulse when it comes to child molesters and law enforcement are no different, but not everyone acts on it. IMO this fathers impulse is as natural as breathing, that's why the State must provide justice in these cases, they have to lock these fiends up forever if not burn them in the chair, otherwise you are inviting vigilante justice. People instinctively know it is unjust to cut this guy loose.[/QUOTE]

They are the last in line for compassion, aren't they?

Dennis Miller had a cutting line about CM's; he said "Hey pal, if those are your impulses, if you feel you need to express that, why not lean into a pitch? Take one for the team? Everybody would be happier...and do it now, we all know what happens if you wait..."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad, SICK stuff here in Rhode Island... I feel the same way that this father feels.. Horrific, unimaginable CRIME!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think people who commit these crimes should be physically tortured by the penal system as a means of punishment. I also have no problem if we torture terrorist in Cuba or wherever. Sorry liberals.