Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a new car

Buying a new car

I about to purchase my first new car. The last car I bought was a 98 VW Jetta I bought used. Needless to say, I got raked over the coals and paid ALOT for my car. I was young, stupid & desperate.

Now I'm older, smarter & desperate again.

I decided I want to buy an '11 VW Jetta SEL Loaded. Im looking around $25K. The research I began doing suggests getting online rates for financing versus financing through the dealer itself. I finally dug myself out of close to $60K in CC debt. My credit score is now 732 according to Transunion, but 660 on Experian (WTF?). Im pretty sure I can get a good rate, I just need to shop around for financing.

So I have a few questions and wonder if anyone can offer some tips.

Should I go from 1 VW dealer to another and reveal the name of offers from other dealers?

Will there be less leverage in negotiating since the car I want will probably have to be ordered and built to my request?

What types of things should I avoid at all costs?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3976205]What types of things should I avoid at all costs?[/QUOTE]
    Volkswagons

:otto: jk

GO Look at the Minicopper at 0.9%

My daughter got a 28K car for 20K plus she saved on repairs work that she needed. it great on gas as well.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3976205]I about to purchase my first new car. The last car I bought was a 98 VW Jetta I bought used. Needless to say, I got raked over the coals and paid ALOT for my car. I was young, stupid & desperate.

I decided I want to buy an '11 VW Jetta SEL Loaded. Im looking around $25K. The research I began doing suggests getting online rates for financing versus financing through the dealer itself. I finally dug myself out of close to $60K in CC debt. My credit score is now 732 according to Transunion, but 660 on Experian (WTF?). Im pretty sure I can get a good rate, I just need to shop around for financing.

Should I go from 1 VW dealer to another and reveal the name of offers from other dealers?

Will there be less leverage in negotiating since the car I want will probably have to be ordered and built to my request?

What types of things should I avoid at all costs?[/QUOTE]

Go look at a brand new BMW 3 Series and lease it.

BMW has complete service coverage on their vehicles. I haven't paid for an oil change or a wiper blade in 5 years.

[url]http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOffers.aspx[/url]

$339 a month + complete service coverage trumps any VW nonsense.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=jetswin;3976210]Volkswagons

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha. Very good.

The real argument here (can't wait for it to get going) is that he shouldn't be buying anything. Should be [U]leasing[/U] instead.

Do the math, simple stuff.

To buy a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $972 a month.

To lease a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $339 a month.

If you purchase, you've struggled to come up with $972 a month and by the time you've paid off the $35,000 you own a 3 year old car that you need to hold onto for 4 more years just to make the math work.

If you lease, you've got a low monthly payment and by the time you've paid off the same $35,000 you are in your 3rd new car in 9 years.

I don't understand why anyone buys cars anymore. It doesn't make sense.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3976254]Go look at a brand new BMW 3 Series and lease it.

BMW has complete service coverage on their vehicles. I haven't paid for an oil change or a wiper blade in 5 years.

[url]http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOffers.aspx[/url]

$339 a month + complete service coverage trumps any VW nonsense.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

dear god it's getting worse

1. owns Kenmore stove (assuming you own it and it aren't renting it)
    2. Leases $339 car
    3. Takes public transportation

you should be house hunting in the Newburgh area.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I;3976258]Ha ha ha. Very good.

The real argument here (can't wait for it to get going) is that he shouldn't be buying anything. Should be [U]leasing[/U] instead.

Do the math, simple stuff.

To buy a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $972 a month.

To lease a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $339 a month.

If you purchase, you've struggled to come up with $972 a month and by the time you've paid off the $35,000 you own a 3 year old car that you need to hold onto for 4 more years just to make the math work.

If you lease, you've got a low monthly payment and by the time you've paid off the same $35,000 you are in your 3rd new car in 9 years.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    depends on how much mileage you put on the car, if you drive a lot, buying makes sense

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3976262]dear god it's getting worse

1. owns Kenmore stove (assuming you own it and it aren't renting it)
    2. Leases $339 car
    3. Takes public transportation

you should be house hunting in the Newburgh area.[/QUOTE]

My car is $650 a month. I was advising the VW owner to step up. If private transportation was faster than public transportation, I'd pay the money to get driven into Manhattan.

The Kenmore stove is in NH. I don't live there anymore.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;3976258]To buy a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $972 a month.[/quote]

It is? :i_dont_kn

[quote]To lease a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $339 a month.[/quote]

Except not only are you giving them $339 a month, you're forking over almost $4K upfront, that you'll never see again.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=jetswin;3976264]depends on how much mileage you put on the car, if you drive a lot, buying makes sense[/QUOTE]

Not really, because at $0.15 cents a mile you need to rack up a lot of mileage before you're going to make a significant dent in that $630 a month payment differential.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;3976268]Not really, because at $0.15 cents a mile you need to rack up a lot of mileage before you're going to make a significant dent in that $630 a month payment differential.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Most leases are .20 cents a mile.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3976266]My car is $650 a month. I was advising the VW owner to step up. If private transportation was faster than public transportation, I'd pay the money to get driven into Manhattan.

The Kenmore stove is in NH. I don't live there anymore.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

oh I see

bragging about the NH house yet trying to distance yourself from the Kenmore

LOL save that PSL math for someone else. I prefer to own my cars. Ive been a loyal VW owner my whole life. They have treated me very well. Even if I made SAR money, Id still drive a VW. I dont mind being looked down upon by Mercedes & Beemer owners. Besides Im an Iron Maiden shirt & jeans wearing kinda guy.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3976258]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

some people can afford to own their cars.

others have to settle for paying for something that is not theirs.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh God please no.

Not in the Hampur.

Please.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU..........................

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=JStokes;3976290]Oh God please no.

Not in the Hampur.

Please.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU..........................

_[/QUOTE]

Lmao...

Oh yeah. Its real.

:(

If you're going to buy Volkwagen's are decent cars. I believe they have some electrical problems sometimes but nothing to be too worried about.

If you're going to lease, SAR is right about the BMWs. You can find a really nice deal on a 3 series. Also look into AUDI, they have good deals too. But again, these are more for leasing.

I pay $340 with nothing down on my wife's 2010 ACURA TSX loaded out the ass.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3976294]If you're going to buy Volkwagen's are decent cars. I believe they have some electrical problems sometimes but nothing to be too worried about.

If you're going to lease, SAR is right about the BMWs. You can find a really nice deal on a 3 series. [B]Also look into AUDI[/B], they have good deals too. But again, these are more for leasing.

I pay $340 with nothing down on my wife's 2010 ACURA TSX loaded out the ass.[/QUOTE]
    this, I bought an A4 in Dec and it gets better than 30mpg, handles very well, drives through anything, and has Howard on Sirius :D

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3976205]I about to purchase my first new car. The last car I bought was a 98 VW Jetta I bought used. Needless to say, I got raked over the coals and paid ALOT for my car. I was young, stupid & desperate.

What types of things should I avoid at all costs?[/QUOTE]

In short that model Jetta was an abortion, they were making an attempt to get away from the Peoples car and into the modern world. It's either BMw or Honda depending on your budget best bangs for the buck.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3976262]you should be house hunting in the Newburgh area.[/QUOTE]

SAR in his Beemer...flossin' his whip like a muthf*ckin' dentist up and down DuBois St :D

[B][SIZE="5"]NBNY![/SIZE][/B]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omqLRQZgB4E[/url]