Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a new car

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Volkswagen has 0% financing available on the new 2010 Jetta.

1.9% for 2011, I would go with the dealer financing.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3976315]Volkswagen has 0% financing available on the new 2010 Jetta.

1.9% for 2011, I would go with the dealer financing.[/QUOTE]
    And they have improved the product somewhat, less recalls etc. on this body style his first 98' Jetta was the trial and error model the best was the A2 model prior to his it had roll up windows.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could always wait a few months for the new Passat that'll be made in Tennessee...gonna be alot cheaper than the Euro model (about 8K less I hear.)

Check into a VW that has the DSG transmission (think Bugatti Veyron) as well. Drove a friends GTI that had DSG and a [I]very[/I] cool thing to have. Think they might have been putting them in some Jettas as well.
    Last edited by frostlich; 03-09-2011 at 05:40 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3976267]It is? :i_dont_kn

Except not only are you giving them $339 a month, you're forking over almost $4K upfront, that you'll never see again.[/QUOTE]

"$3,564 Cash due at signing"

LOLz.

Buy a late model car. Keep it. Still the best deal on cars.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3976205]I about to purchase my first new car. The last car I bought was a 98 VW Jetta I bought used. Needless to say, I got raked over the coals and paid ALOT for my car. I was young, stupid & desperate.

Now I'm older, smarter & desperate again.

I decided I want to buy an '11 VW Jetta SEL Loaded. Im looking around $25K. The research I began doing suggests getting online rates for financing versus financing through the dealer itself. I finally dug myself out of close to $60K in CC debt. My credit score is now 732 according to Transunion, but 660 on Experian (WTF?). Im pretty sure I can get a good rate, I just need to shop around for financing.

So I have a few questions and wonder if anyone can offer some tips.

Should I go from 1 VW dealer to another and reveal the name of offers from other dealers?

Will there be less leverage in negotiating since the car I want will probably have to be ordered and built to my request?

What types of things should I avoid at all costs?[/QUOTE]

I saw a news report that Volkswagen is re releasing the Love Bus

There are some images around the internet

eg.
    [IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OpsZNbWxFMU/TOlKXe94ijI/AAAAAAAACC8/D1KkwTIBuIs/s640/VW_new_microbus.jpg[/IMG]

here's an NY Times article
    [url]http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/geneva-auto-show-volkswagen-bulli-concept/[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3976354]"$3,564 Cash due at signing"

LOLz.[/QUOTE]

A technicality. Do the math with that $3,500 and its still better to lease than to own. You only own the car if you:

1. Want to mod it like a highschool kid.

2. Want to keep it 7+ years and beat The Man at his own game.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3976469]A technicality. Do the math with that $3,500 and its still better to lease than to own. You only own the car if you:

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Leasing is for the well off... It's that simple. It makes more sense to lease a new toy rather than to continuously buy one...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3976469]A technicality. Do the math with that $3,500 and its still better to lease than to own. You only own the car if you:

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I choose option 2. I buy and after four or five years on 0% interest these days your car is paid off. Every year after, no monthly payments. If you lease, you lease forever and piss your money away.

Leasing is for the wealthy who must have nice new shiny things every year or two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3976320]And they have improved the product somewhat, less recalls etc. on this body style his first 98' Jetta was the trial and error model the best was the A2 model prior to his it had roll up windows.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE my 98. I bought the Jetta GT in black. It really has been a great 10 years with the car, but now its showing its age. Just the past 12 months, I've had to replace front and back brakes, ignition coil, front hub bearing, and exhaust cat back. I'd estimate the repairs to be close to $2000. I only have 115K miles. Now I need a h2o pump, front and rear struts and a new paint job. From a daily driver POV, its just too expensive to maintain now. As a tricked out car, its a great candidate. Im not getting rid of it, just need to retire it.

And I have crank up windows. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3976502]I LOVE my 98. I bought the Jetta GT in black. It really has been a great 10 years with the car, but now its showing its age. Just the past 12 months, I've had to replace front and back brakes, ignition coil, front hub bearing, and exhaust cat back. I'd estimate the repairs to be close to $2000. I only have 115K miles. Now I need a h2o pump, front and rear struts and a new paint job. From a daily driver POV, its just too expensive to maintain now. As a tricked out car, its a great candidate. Im not getting rid of it, just need to retire it.

And I have crank up windows. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Ahh, that was part of the key, no electric window regulators to be replaced. What about a/c vents, the little grills in the front air dam falling out, lot's of others can't remember them all, but that engine has another 100k...you are one of the lucky ones, seriously.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 03-09-2011 at 08:39 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm a #2 guy. I actually LOVE driving a paid-for car, more than I like a new car. I also drive well under 10,000 miles a year. To each his own.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3976555]Agreed. I'm a #2 guy. [/QUOTE]

Blech pitooooooooey.

oh man

:barf:

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3976561]Blech pitooooooooey.

oh man

:barf:

-[/QUOTE]

Besides judging everyone, what is your contribution to Jets Insider exactly? Did I miss the part where you said or did something relevant or interesting?

There are those who contribute and then there are those who just comment on the contributions as if we're posting them up for their consumption, as if what they say on our writings makes a difference.

Join a conversation. Participate in a discussion. We don't need any judges.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3976566]Besides judging everyone, what is your contribution to Jets Insider exactly? Did I miss the part where you said or did something relevant or interesting?

There are those who contribute and then there are those who just comment on the contributions as if we're posting them up for their consumption, as if what they say on our writings makes a difference.

Join a conversation. Participate in a discussion. We don't need any judges.[/QUOTE]

You're Underrated :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3976566]Besides judging everyone, what is your contribution to Jets Insider exactly? Did I miss the part where you said or did something relevant or interesting?

Join a conversation. Participate in a discussion. We don't need any judges.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad someone said this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3976566]Besides judging everyone, what is your contribution to Jets Insider exactly? [/QUOTE]

[SIZE="7"]↓[/SIZE]

:alien:

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3976571]I'm glad someone said this.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="7"]↓[/SIZE]

:moon2:

-

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

You're so judgmental.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3976575]You're so judgmental.[/QUOTE]

I'm Judge Mental!!! :P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3976575]You're so judgmental.[/QUOTE]

I couldnt help but noticing how you forgot to mention it was faulty judgement.

:D

Right? lol

:confused:

:(

:eek:

:ontome:

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3976258]Ha ha ha. Very good.

The real argument here (can't wait for it to get going) is that he shouldn't be buying anything. Should be [U]leasing[/U] instead.

Do the math, simple stuff.

To buy a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $972 a month.

To lease a $35,000 car over a 3 year period is $339 a month.

If you purchase, you've struggled to come up with $972 a month and by the time you've paid off the $35,000 you own a 3 year old car that you need to hold onto for 4 more years just to make the math work.

If you lease, you've got a low monthly payment and by the time you've paid off the same $35,000 you are in your 3rd new car in 9 years.

I don't understand why anyone buys cars anymore. It doesn't make sense.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I am forced to reluctantly agree with this yahoo.

Leasing is the way to go especially if you're not going to keep the car a long time, or want to try out a new model (I just started leasing a Camaro: first Big 3 car I've driven since the early 80s).