Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here play the cello?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3977468]Is it hard to play?

What about an upright bass? And really, what's the difference between the two?[/QUOTE]

i play the cello. since i was 3 years old. i also play the guitar, and bass guitar, not upright bass though.

some of the differences between cello and upright bass are you sit down when you play the cello and stand up for the bass. also the bass is a lot bigger. the strings are thicker, the bow is much bigger and you even hold it differently. the notes are much furthur apart.

hope that helps.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    go with the guitar. as you mentioned a cello is more expensive. also, you'd have to learn to read music, where as with the guitar you could just learn to read tablature which is way easier. also, with the guitar you can learn to play rock songs you like, or with the cello you can learn to play vivaldi concerto's (maybe you're into that tho).

if your fingers are clumsy on guitar, they will be clumsy on the cello. you just have to practice.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=loluchka80;3977654]go with the guitar. as you mentioned a cello is more expensive. also, you'd have to learn to read music, where as with the guitar you could just learn to read tablature which is way easier. also, with the guitar you can learn to play rock songs you like, or with the cello you can learn to play vivaldi concerto's (maybe you're into that tho).

if your fingers are clumsy on guitar, they will be clumsy on the cello. you just have to practice.[/QUOTE]

I've tried the guitar in the past. I took lessons for a while when I was a kid, gave up, picked it up again with lessons a couple years later and gave up again. It's a great instrument, it's extremely versatile and would love to play it well, but it's just not for me.

I've taken piano lessons too and enjoy tinkering with that, so I can read music.

I love the way a cello sounds, I think it looks great and sounds great, and because the neck is longer and there are less strings I think I'd be able to make the finger movements a little bit easier. I like to pick up new hobbies too, and expand my interests.

So would I rent a cello? I wouldn't even know where to find one, or a cello teacher for that matter (I guess I could google that)

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3977622]$1500...steal a watch from SAR, buy the cello and put a downpayment on a CHurch's Fried CHicken Franchise.

It's all open skies for you, pally.[/QUOTE]

It's always open skies for me. I lead a charmed life, I do ok. :cool: ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I stuck with guitar, and I found out I love Blue Note era jazz; playing in those combos. I can hack away and make a great noise. I have a looper with a MIDI drum machine...very flexible. But it fits what [I]I [/I]like to play.

Do you like classical music? The Kronos Quartet is tits; so is the Turtle Island String Quartet. They play a range of great music in their performances. My son loves 80's tunes, happy upbeat tunes, like...the Spice Girls, for example. He was a dutiful student, and he wanted to hit a home run for his mom...he was naturally animated on stage, bowing that cello with the fire and passion of a great flamenco dancer who is throwing his woman around to the beat. lol

The cello is a really really great instrument to play; or... you can get a recorder and twiddle your fingers. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3977720]I've tried the guitar in the past. I took lessons for a while when I was a kid, gave up, picked it up again with lessons a couple years later and gave up again. It's a great instrument, it's extremely versatile and would love to play it well, but it's just not for me.

I've taken piano lessons too and enjoy tinkering with that, so I can read music.

I love the way a cello sounds, I think it looks great and sounds great, and because the neck is longer and there are less strings I think I'd be able to make the finger movements a little bit easier. I like to pick up new hobbies too, and expand my interests.

So would I rent a cello? I wouldn't even know where to find one, or a cello teacher for that matter (I guess I could google that)[/QUOTE]

you're right. the cello does have a great sound. i prefer it to all of the other orchestral instruments. very warm sounding.

anyway, you could rent a full size cello. i'm sure there are places to rent one. i haven't rented since i was little kid. once i was big enough for a full size cello my parents bought it for me. also, i'm sure you could find cello teachers online. when i was high school i used to give cello and guitar lessons (only to little kids though) for $20/half hour. you can probably find some college music student looking for extra money. it will definitely be more than $20 though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3977791]Hey I stuck with guitar, and I found out I love Blue Note era jazz; [/QUOTE]

WCO, can you give me a few songs off the top of your head I might be able to find in Itunes? A good intro?

Thankee!

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :abe: what's that? play with my jello?

no.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3977818]WCO, can you give me a few songs off the top of your head I might be able to find in Itunes? A good intro?

Thankee!

:D[/QUOTE]lol, I did say Blue Note era; these tunes listed are not from the Blue Note label per se, but at a time when both tonal (Take A Train; Autumn Leaves) and modal (Impressions, So What) tunes were being written/played/recorded with great verve and originality. These tunes are the catchiest, most bluesiest(?) for rock guys to hear, imo.

MILES - Kind of Blue
    1) All Blues
    2) So What

WES MONTGOMERY
    1) Four on Six
    2) Round Midnight (Wes Montgomery Trio - guitar, drums, Hammond organ)

CANNONBALL ADDERLY
    1) Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

ART BLAKEY - Jazz Messengers
    1) Moanin'

WAYNE SHORTER (with Art Blakey)
    1) Footprints (jazz waltz 3/4 time)

COLTRANE
    1) Equinox
    2) Blue Train
    3) Impressions

I am sure there will be others added to this thread. You can listen to (the album) "Kind of Blue" 600 times and it will always sound fresh. That album is why my first-born was named "Miles". :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3977961]That album is why my first-born was named "Miles". :yes:[/QUOTE]

Miles C. Offensive -- very cool name! :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3977720]I've tried the guitar in the past. I took lessons for a while when I was a kid, gave up, picked it up again with lessons a couple years later and gave up again. It's a great instrument, it's extremely versatile and would love to play it well, but it's just not for me.

So would I rent a cello? I wouldn't even know where to find one, or a cello teacher for that matter (I guess I could google that)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone has commitment issues...

or has been watching American Idol and is approaching the age limit to try out:

[IMG]http://unrealityshout.com/files/imagecache/image_460/casey-abrams-upright-bass.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by JetFreak89; 03-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't FF2 start a thread recently about renting a musical instrument?

It was quasi-epic, no?

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3977961]lol, I did say Blue Note era; these tunes listed are not from the Blue Note label per se, but at a time when both tonal (Take A Train; Autumn Leaves) and modal (Impressions, So What) tunes were being written/played/recorded with great verve and originality. These tunes are the catchiest, most bluesiest(?) for rock guys to hear, imo.

MILES - Kind of Blue
    1) All Blues
    2) So What

WES MONTGOMERY
    1) Four on Six
    2) Round Midnight (Wes Montgomery Trio - guitar, drums, Hammond organ)

CANNONBALL ADDERLY
    1) Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

ART BLAKEY - Jazz Messengers
    1) Moanin'

WAYNE SHORTER (with Art Blakey)
    1) Footprints (jazz waltz 3/4 time)

COLTRANE
    1) Equinox
    2) Blue Train
    3) Impressions

I am sure there will be others added to this thread. You can listen to (the album) "Kind of Blue" 600 times and it will always sound fresh. That album is why my first-born was named "Miles". :yes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have three of those already, so I dont feel so bad!

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3977971]Miles C. Offensive -- very cool name! :D[/QUOTE]

lmao

[QUOTE=JStokes;3977985]Didn't FF2 start a thread recently about renting a musical instrument?

It was quasi-epic, no?

_[/QUOTE]

Wasnt it VInVOnPatGronkWelkie?

Renting or buying for a nephew or some such?

:dunno:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yo...

Yo...

Ma!

[SIZE=1]the meatloaf[/SIZE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Mtr3Ruuks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Mtr3Ruuks[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edvSGawh7jQ[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3977992]

Wasnt it VInVOnPatGronkWelkie?

Renting or buying for a nephew or some such?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Yup- had my trolls mixed up.

That was pretty insulting to FF2, yes? :D

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3977994]Yo...

Yo...

Ma!

[/QUOTE]

To this day, the most often heard words on W140st when NYPD Narcotics comes in a- slappin handcuffs on folks for nefarious deeds.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3977999]:D

To this day, the most often heard words on W140st when NYPD Narcotics comes in a- slappin handcuffs on folks for nefarious deeds.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3977999]:D

To this day, the most often heard words on W140st when NYPD Narcotics comes in a- slappin handcuffs on folks for nefarious deeds.[/QUOTE]
    lol