Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone here play the cello?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3977468]Is it hard to play?

What about an upright bass? And really, what's the difference between the two?[/QUOTE]

I played upright bass in college and continued until I was about 30 or so.

Cello is more like a violin, tuned in 5ths. bass in tuned in fourths.

What's on your mind????

Here is perhaps the greatest all around "jazz" upright player. ALL and I mean ALL professional jazz upright players have been trained classically and can play with a bow with no effort.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8QazNAZjhM&feature=related[/url]
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 03-11-2011 at 01:50 PM.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3978035]I played upright bass in college and continued until I was about 30 or so.

Cello is more like a violin, tuned in 5ths. bass in tuned in fourths.

What's on your mind????

Here is perhaps the greatest all around "jazz" upright player. ALL and I mean ALL jazz upright players have been trained classically and can play with a bow with no effort.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8QazNAZjhM&feature=related[/url][/QUOTE]

This and the subsequent parts are among the best videos I have ever seen on youtube. And I don't even play bass. Thanks for posting!

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3978119]This and the subsequent parts are among the best videos I have ever seen on youtube. And I don't even play bass. Thanks for posting![/QUOTE]
    None better than Ray Brown. Talk about uncompromising; that dude would toss you off the bandstand himself. :eek:

I LOL'd at your Miles C Offensive, but I had to close the window quickly :on_to_me

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3978035][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8QazNAZjhM&feature=related[/url][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3978119]This and the subsequent parts are among the best videos I have ever seen on youtube. And I don't even play bass. Thanks for posting![/QUOTE]

That was excellent.

:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3978250]None better than Ray Brown. Talk about uncompromising; that dude would toss you off the bandstand himself. :eek:

I LOL'd at your Miles C Offensive, but I had to close the window quickly :on_to_me[/QUOTE]

WCO, WAY back in the early 80's I was in college and took some lessons from Jamil Nasser (Ahmad Jamal trio) and he told a story of when ray brown left NY to go to LA and be a session player, 1/2 the bass players in LA, lost their jobs.

While it was tongue and cheek, he wasn't kidding about Ray Browns effect on the music scene.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3978321]WCO, WAY back in the early 80's I was in college and took some lessons from Jamil Nasser (Ahmad Jamal trio) and he told a story of when ray brown left NY to go to LA and be a session player, 1/2 the bass players in LA, lost their jobs.

While it was tongue and cheek, he wasn't kidding about Ray Browns effect on the music scene.[/QUOTE]
    I have a stack of "Downbeat" mags from the 1970's; let me see if I can scan the Ray Brown interview for posting. Every bassist I have spoken with says the same thing about Brown.

What a great teacher you had; Ahmad Jamal was something of an innovator?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3978327]I have a stack of "Downbeat" mags from the 1970's; let me see if I can scan the Ray Brown interview for posting. Every bassist I have spoken with says the same thing about Brown.

What a great teacher you had; Ahmad Jamal was something of an innovator?[/QUOTE]

He wasn't really a long term teacher..I took some lessons over the summer BUT he was my real first JAZZ influence. Taught me how to REALLY play in a rythem section, listen to the movement, play triads, bottom etc....

He would always go back to how with all that technique, Ray Brown stayed right on the 1-5 and triad most of the time.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3978331]He wasn't really a long term teacher..I took some lessons over the summer BUT he was my real first JAZZ influence. Taught me how to REALLY play in a rythem section, listen to the movement, play triads, bottom etc....

He would always go back to how with all that technique, Ray Brown stayed right on the 1-5 and triad most of the time.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, but look who he was pushing around: Oscar Peterson. Not much room when Big O starts taking off. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3978394]Yeah, but look who he was pushing around: Oscar Peterson. Not much room when Big O starts taking off. :D[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack the thread but for any of you guys who want to listen to some really GREAT jazz, with some vocals, GREAT players.

Buy ONE CD, The Ray Brown trio, Live at the concord jazz festival. Just terrific.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Brown-Trio-Concord-Festival/dp/B0000006CQ[/url]

[QUOTE=JStokes;3977998]Yup- had my trolls mixed up.

That was pretty insulting to FF2, yes? :D

_[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Forgive me for trying to save you schmucks a few dollars. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3977791]Hey I stuck with guitar, and I found out I love Blue Note era jazz; playing in those combos. I can hack away and make a great noise. I have a looper with a MIDI drum machine...very flexible. But it fits what [I]I [/I]like to play.

Do you like classical music? The Kronos Quartet is tits; so is the Turtle Island String Quartet. They play a range of great music in their performances. My son loves 80's tunes, happy upbeat tunes, like...the Spice Girls, for example. He was a dutiful student, and he wanted to hit a home run for his mom...he was naturally animated on stage, bowing that cello with the fire and passion of a great flamenco dancer who is throwing his woman around to the beat. lol

The cello is a really really great instrument to play; or... you can get a recorder and twiddle your fingers. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I do like classical music, I really enjoy a wide range of genres. It sounds like your son enjoyed it for the time he spent playing it. That's pretty cool.

I like the suggestion of another poster in this thread, find a college kid and ask him or her for lessons. That's a pretty good idea. I just might pursue this.