Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late round OL - Maybe?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Late round OL - Maybe?

You think the Jets will go for a late round OL? Who would/could/should it be?

Here's a vote for John Moffit...not a really deep G draft this year so sleepers like him or Andrew Jackson might be gone by the 6th or 7th maybe...possibly...I really like Lee Ziemba the Auburn T possible G/T.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    You think the Jets will go for a late round OL? Who would/could/should it be?

Here's a vote for John Moffit...not a really deep G draft this year so sleepers like him or Andrew Jackson might be gone by the 6th or 7th maybe...possibly...I really like Lee Ziemba the Auburn T possible G/T.
    Derek Newton/T/Arkansas St in the 5th/6th.....i'd also consider James Brewer Indiana in the 4th if he's available....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad my late round sleeper whom I was happy the Jets signed as a UFA, Charlie Tanner got hurt last year. Don't sleep on my sleeper!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im a fan of Ricky Henry from Nebraska. May not be the most athletic guy, but put on any Roy Helu tape and focus on #74. The man is a beast in the run game.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Im a fan of Ricky Henry from Nebraska. May not be the most athletic guy, but put on any Roy Helu tape and focus on #74. The man is a beast in the run game.
    i actually like Michael Smith from Nebraska...very good in '09, sat on the sidelines all last season with injury then looked terrific in Shrine practices....depth/back-up type player where i think Brewer/Newton will be starting RT's...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

jets will go o.g.

I like keith williams o.g. nebraska.since callahan has the inside knowledge on nebraska players.I will go with this pick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a lot of Nebraska sleepers on the OL

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Derek Newton/T/Arkansas St in the 5th/6th.....i'd also consider James Brewer Indiana in the 4th if he's available....
    Yes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather see them take one early but if they do not I gotta go James Brewer or Tim Barnes if one of them falls.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd rather see them take one early but if they do not I gotta go James Brewer or Tim Barnes if one of them falls.
    They don't need to draft OL early if they lock up Hunter and/or resign Woody at a discount. We're currently set at every position on the OL except Right Tackle for the next several years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    They don't need to draft OL early if they lock up Hunter and/or resign Woody at a discount. We're currently set at every position on the OL except Right Tackle for the next several years.
    I agree and Disagree. Vlad will be a great RT and that is what he was drafted to play not G. If we go OL we would need a G not a T. Vlad and Brick will be solid for year trust me on that one. Slaughter didn't look all that good to me so G is high on my wish list. That and Moore has 2 more years left under contract . He will likely be a CAP cut next year to save 3 mil and avoid signing him long term. It takes 2-3 years to develop a OL so it would be a good idea to take a young guy now.

Woody is done and even before that he was nothing more then a G barely playing an average RT. He was not worth what we where paying. Even if he signed for min. money I would only want him as a BU G and that is not going to happen. If we could get Stefen Wisniewski I would be thrilled. It would be nice to have the option to move him to C if Mangold goes down. C is very important. No disrespecting Tanner but Stefen is the best C/G I have seen sense Mangold. I'd be OK with Cannon as well he is my darkhorse to go much earlier that expected. At 30 both would be value picks for us IMO but yes not a great need.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vlad will be a great RT and that is what he was drafted to play not G. If we go OL we would need a G not a T.
    I agree with this...I like Slauson but if they wanted to do better they could...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I agree and Disagree. Vlad will be a great RT and that is what he was drafted to play not G. If we go OL we would need a G not a T. Vlad and Brick will be solid for year trust me on that one. Slaughter didn't look all that good to me so G is high on my wish list. That and Moore has 2 more years left under contract . He will likely be a CAP cut next year to save 3 mil and avoid signing him long term. It takes 2-3 years to develop a OL so it would be a good idea to take a young guy now.

Woody is done and even before that he was nothing more then a G barely playing an average RT. He was not worth what we where paying. Even if he signed for min. money I would only want him as a BU G and that is not going to happen. If we could get Stefen Wisniewski I would be thrilled. It would be nice to have the option to move him to C if Mangold goes down. C is very important. No disrespecting Tanner but Stefen is the best C/G I have seen sense Mangold. I'd be OK with Cannon as well he is my darkhorse to go much earlier that expected. At 30 both would be value picks for us IMO but yes not a great need.
    We just used a 2nd round pick on a O-line player last season. Slauson was fine at LG. He's basically the same thing that Faneca was for us at LG but at a fraction of the cost. Definitely not spectacular but you can't have an all-pro at every position.

Hunter I would resign to be our RT of the future. He does make mental mistakes but his are correctable. Woody would only be brought back for depth. If Moore is cut after next season most likely the Jets would just resign him at a discount like they did a couple years ago - where else is he going to make more money? Hopefully Ducasse develops into something.

Our biggest needs are D-line, OLB and CB (if Cro leaves) and we need to replace the offensive coordinator.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Lee Ziemba the Auburn T possible G/T.
    this is a player im struggling to value. on the plus side he's got a ton of starts in very big games... he holds the Auburn record for most consecutive starts... to start at left tackle in the SEC as a true freshman is a huge accomplishment. On the downside he's not a great athlete, didn't work out all that well and didn't look good in the Senior Bowl.

where does that leave him I suspect some team takes a shot in the top 100 because of his experience... but he could very well fall and if he's there in the 4th/5th/6th rounds it's a cheap Woody replacement lottery ticket. The dude could be an ideal right tackle and probably can swing to left side in an emergency. He's probably not a guard. Ducasse might be more of a natural guard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Hunter I would resign to be our RT of the future. He does make mental mistakes but his are correctable.

I dont think they'll sign Hunter. He tipped the plays in the Steelers game and at 29 years old he's getting to the point where the "mental mistakes are correctable" train has left the station. Someone will probably give him starter money.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jets seriously considering Newton in the 4th/5th round area....OG/RT swing lineman they feel they can develop into a starter....have not seen his name on any lists but they brought him in...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets seriously considering Newton in the 4th/5th round area....OG/RT swing lineman they feel they can develop into a starter....have not seen his name on any lists but they brought him in...
    Your posts are appreciated dude.

Anyway, I haven't watched him and don't care for Youtube or reading writeups. Dunno if I'll be able to find a game on Arkansas State.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I dont think they'll sign Hunter. He tipped the plays in the Steelers game and at 29 years old he's getting to the point where the "mental mistakes are correctable" train has left the station. Someone will probably give him starter money.
    Eh? He sure as hell didn't tip the plays the offensive formation tipped the plays.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also like Justin Boren fro Ohio State

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic View Post
    I also like Justin Boren fro Ohio State
    i did to when he was at Michigan- thought he was going to be an incredible center prospect but his game has slid....