Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Austin - What's the thinking?

Marvin Austin - What's the thinking?

I'm getting a feeling he's about to enjoy 15 minutes. He's one of the most talented players in this draft, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that he's more immature than he is badass. Seems like he's a guy who could be like Darnell Dockett...a first round talent who becomes an absolute steal because he stays on the board until the 3rd for one reason or another....Dockett's now one of the best and most underrated DL in the league...Of course, some may worry that he's not immature and that he truly is a Scumbag Steve type...any thoughts on him either way?

I have to say that I wrote out a list of guys I'd draft over Brooks Reed and found myself typing out Austin...Anyone think that by the time April comes around he's a first round pick? Those combine numbers coitainly can't hurt...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I'm getting a feeling he's about to enjoy 15 minutes. He's one of the most talented players in this draft, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that he's more immature than he is badass. Seems like he's a guy who could be like Darnell Dockett...a first round talent who becomes an absolute steal because he stays on the board until the 3rd for one reason or another....Dockett's now one of the best and most underrated DL in the league...Of course, some may worry that he's not immature and that he truly is a Scumbag Steve type...any thoughts on him either way?

I have to say that I wrote out a list of guys I'd draft over Brooks Reed and found myself typing out Austin...Anyone think that by the time April comes around he's a first round pick? Those combine numbers coitainly can't hurt...
    funny story- which you will read no place but here....

Austin had an official combine interview with the Seahawks- teams are allowed sixty....

The brass are there and Pete Carroll grills Austin about taking money, etc....Austin responds- in a joking manner- "Pete- you cheated at USC for ten years and got away with it- sometimes it just happens"...Carroll was mortified- the rest of the guys wanted to draft Austin there and then....

^^^ That's truly funny. I want to draft Marvin Austin now. That takes balls.

Shows that the guy is on the ball enough to know about Carroll and USC. Some of these guys wouldn't know about another team, let alone another coach, let alone that there was any 'wrong doings' in college ball.

All Pro
    Kid has been a decent inside player all his career,but i have to wonder what he could be with less trash playing as a 34 DE.You may need a Byran Thomas tpye LBer to play alongside him thou.

honesty...........

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    funny story- which you will read no place but here....

Austin had an official combine interview with the Seahawks- teams are allowed sixty....

The brass are there and Pete Carroll grills Austin about taking money, etc....Austin responds- in a joking manner- "Pete- you cheated at USC for ten years and got away with it- sometimes it just happens"...Carroll was mortified- the rest of the guys wanted to draft Austin there and then....
    ball$..... I LOVE THIS KID ALREADY, LETS GET HIM NOW.

SORRY MUCH ADO.........

^^^ That's truly funny. I want to draft Marvin Austin now. That takes balls.
    didnt see your post, didnt mean to step on any ones toes here. just got to excited when i read that.

I remember seeing him play 2 years ago a few times and thinking Beast.....I feel that in Rex's defense we switch up fronts so much that almost all good front 7 guys are in play. It's not like Mangini's strict gap 3-4 where we have to write guys off because they "don't fit".

I would not have a problem going with Austin in the 1st, and I really like the Dockett comparison......That Pete Carroll story is great btw

Thats a Rex/Jets type player. I would have loved to see Pete's face when he said it

he's a very athletic player but not at all stout at point of attack... he plays on wheels not anchored down, he will make a ton of tackles but several yards down field not behind the LOS. Great pass rusher on 3rd down but not really a great fit for this D. Im sure Rex could find a way to use him but Rex can also find a way to use Mike Devito and other UDFA types. Austin is more of a 3-tech in a Cover 2 D not a 5 tech in a 3-4.

All Pro
    What an awesome story. Dude has a big, brass set to drop a line like that. I love it.

As a player, he really interests me because his athleticism is off the charts, but I think he will probably be drafted higher than he should be because of that. He isn't a lock by any means, but the ceiling is higher than most.

If the Jets coaches think he's got what it takes, I'd be very happy with the pick.

Worried about Austin's strength... Doesn't show much and typically they don't get it when they come to the pros. He's athletic, but that doesn't mean much on first and 2nd downs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Worried about Austin's strength... Doesn't show much and typically they don't get it when they come to the pros. He's athletic, but that doesn't mean much on first and 2nd downs.

+1

I'm a Carolina alumnus and follow the team semi-closely (though not nearly as much as the Jets)

He's athletic as hell for the position, but his lack of strength concerns me for our defense as a 5 technique end. Can he command double teams? I've always felt he's been a better fit as the 3 technique in a 4-3.

Awesome story CBNY. I think his personality would fit in fine here, but I just don't know if he'd fit well schematically. Do you think he could play in our defense?

Strength shouldn't be a long term issue IMO...call it gut feel.

Strength shouldn't be a long term issue IMO...call it gut feel.
    Very rare that a player improves significantly on his playing strength. Usually something you either have or you don't.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Very rare that a player improves significantly on his playing strength. Usually something you either have or you don't.
    depends...some take longer to physically mature and some come from programs with poor weight programs...

i remember running into Julius Peppers in a hotel the last regular season game of his UNC career against Duke- i couldn't imagine how skinny/slim the guy was at the time (Nov 2001)....not that he's a powerhouse but still..

Disagree...on an individual level I see projection in Austin...you get that guy in an NFL strength and conditioning program and he could be a monster...on the whole he just strikes me as a very immature person...Not immature in the sense that you should think the worst of him but immature in the sense that patience will be key in his development...in 3 years he could be one of the biggest names from this draft.

I'm still thrown off by the fact that he's shorter than I thought...but otherwise I think there's a whole lot to like about this guy. On an intuitive level he's one of those guys I think just has the feel of an NFL player...as much as I hate making such a douchey, vague statement.

I like the UNC class this year as a whole tbh...

Disagree...on an individual level I see projection in Austin...you get that guy in an NFL strength and conditioning program and he could be a monster...on the whole he just strikes me as a very immature person...Not immature in the sense that you should think the worst of him but immature in the sense that patience will be key in his development...in 3 years he could be one of the biggest names from this draft.

I'm still thrown off by the fact that he's shorter than I thought...but otherwise I think there's a whole lot to like about this guy. On an intuitive level he's one of those guys I think just has the feel of an NFL player...as much as I hate making such a douchey, vague statement.

I like the UNC class this year as a whole tbh...
    I look at it differently. It's kind of like a pitcher who cannot do enough arm exercises in the world to make him throw 100 mph.

Football playing strength comes from your core and there is only so much you can do with that. Just look at weight lifters. There can be 2 guys who have the same body type, do the same exercises, and still have 1 of the 2 guys be infinitely stronger than the other. It's just something you are born with.

All I know is I've never seen a weak guy at the point of attack become a strong guy at the point. Just doesn't happen.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 03-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    +1

I'm a Carolina alumnus and follow the team semi-closely (though not nearly as much as the Jets)

He's athletic as hell for the position, but his lack of strength concerns me for our defense as a 5 technique end. Can he command double teams? I've always felt he's been a better fit as the 3 technique in a 4-3.

Awesome story CBNY. I think his personality would fit in fine here, but I just don't know if he'd fit well schematically. Do you think he could play in our defense?
    I've never watched him play. Could you elaborate? Does he constantly get blown off the ball and taken out of plays like Dewayne Robertson used to?

I look at it differently. It's kind of like a pitcher who cannot do enough arm exercises in the world to make him throw 100 mph.

Football playing strength comes from your core and there is only so much you can do with that. Just look at weight lifters. There can be 2 guys who have the same body type, do the same exercises, and still have 1 of the 2 guys be infinitely stronger than the other. It's just something you are born with.

All I know is I've never seen a weak guy at the point of attack become a strong guy at the point. Just doesn't happen.
    That's what it is for me to...as far as natural born talent goes Austin blows most of these guys out of the water...what'll make or break him as a pro is his willingness to be a conditioned monster and be mentally prepared every day.