Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook: What is your take?

Jets Insider VIP
    I use it occasionally. Good way to keep in contact w/ family in Alaska and Hawaii.

And it has these cool things called "privacy settings" that [I]actually[/I] work...if you read the instructions. The privacy settings are easier to set than a clock on a VCR. Used right, no one can search for you, see your info, see your pictures, etc. Your personal info is safer on FB than it is when you fill out a credit card application. Those f*ckers will sell your info to anyone....:yes:

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3979051]Don't belong. Never will.

My generation was about protecting privacy. The current one thinks nothing about posting images and information anyone could access and, potentially, exploit. Growing up in New York, you learned at an early age not to make yourself a mark. Folks now, not so much.[/QUOTE]

QFT

[QUOTE=TKasper01;3979219]QFT[/QUOTE]

There has been this general lack of common sense the last few decades. I remember when cam corders came out and you would see people using them in the subway. On more than one occasion, I would walk up to these idiots and tell them to put the cameras away unless they wanted to "donate" them to the guys who were watching them without their knowledge.

Now, I think most Facebook users would give up their s.s. #'s if someone asked.

One of my friends from Philly set it up for me in like 2005 I think (I had to enter her high school as my own, so that should tell you how long ago that was) and I really only used it to keep in touch with her. I used it a lot more when it took off here, but after a while I got sick of the steady stream of ****e that people posted on it and to be honest I started to dislike some of my friends because of it. In the end, the annoyances outweighed the benefits of it so I deleted my account.

I also deleted it because I don't like the idea of a prospective employer doing a quick Google search on my name and being able to see my profile, photos and who my mates are, etc. I know you can change the privacy settings but that's besides the point.

I hate Facebook and honestly cannot wait to see the back of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Celtic Bhoy;3979229]I know you can change the privacy settings but that's besides the point....[/QUOTE]

Yes. My car has brakes, I just don't use them. That's besides the point ;)

:P:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3979239]Yes. My car has brakes, I just don't use them. That's besides the point ;)

:P:D[/QUOTE]

This, +1.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3979239]Yes. My car has brakes, I just don't use them. That's besides the point ;)

:P:D[/QUOTE]

Haha, well done.

Still, I don't like having that much information about myself available online. No matter if it is supposedly private.

Anyone see the movie Catfish?

Hall Of Fame
    I'm 51. I have 4 kids, a girlfriend and all the friends I'll ever need.

Everyone I know that I want them to know something about me already does.

_

[QUOTE=SouthTown;3979095]Sophomore year at Villanova. Sheehan Hall. I still remember where I was when I first logged on and heard about it. The damn thing caught on like wildfire after that. I check it often. I don't check it often for anything in particular, only because it has become a bad habit. Kind of like crack. Check it mostly out of boredom and habit.

My privacy settings are through the roof, as well. Further, I also made sure to be one of the "name changers" where my Facebook name does not match that of my birth certificate. I decided on this name change when many of my co-workers (mostly 25-35 year old females, at the time) decided to start searching for me and adding me and with my Spring Break Acapulco pictures in mind, I quickly changed my name.

Facebook is a great thing if you ask me, if used and leveraged properly. I do think that the Facebook of today is far less amusing than the Facebook of the early years when people were simply on there to "bang"...you were either single or in a relationship...now, most people are in relationships for real, 'married' to their best girlfriends from 6th grade or they do not divulge any information on how willing they are to "bang"; that is when Facebook took a turn for the worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was living on West when I first signed up on it. The name changers are confusing, but now a lot of my girl friends from college have been getting married, so named pop up on there and I'm like, "Wait... who?" I then I see the pic with their husband and figure it out.

[QUOTE=JetsVault03;3979200]

Oh wait, that's right... my entire fraternity got shut down due to facebook :([/QUOTE]

Amateurs

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3979051]Don't belong. Never will.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I'm not on it..and it seems to bring out the worst in mindless ninnies.

I have friends who dont return emails because I didnt contact them through Farg book.

Their whole social context has shifted to that godawful mind hijacker.

All League
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3979329]Yeah I was living on West when I first signed up on it. The name changers are confusing, but now a lot of my girl friends from college have been getting married, so named pop up on there and I'm like, "Wait... who?" I then I see the pic with their husband and figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Word. West Campus was a cool spot. Lotta chicks there with minimal to no pubic hair. :yes:

[QUOTE=SouthTown;3979345]Word. West Campus was a cool spot. Lotta chicks there with minimal to no pubic hair. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Damn right

All League
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3979347]Damn right[/QUOTE]

One bushy beaver at Nova, and she was a west campus chick. Terrible terrible situation.:huh:

All League
    I can tell you with certainty (cuz my employer writes programs that do it) that Facebook is being used to build as complete an information dossier as possible on every Facebook member--your likes, dislikes, actions, friend, what you say, what games you play, pictures you post. etc. It's also being used to track your internet activity outside of Facebook. This data mining is THE hot thing in web research and marketing.

All League
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;3979350]I can tell you with certainty (cuz my employer writes programs that do it) that Facebook is being used to build as complete an information dossier as possible on every Facebook member--your likes, dislikes, actions, friend, what you say, what games you play, pictures you post. etc. It's also being used to track your internet activity outside of Facebook. This data mining is THE hot thing in web research and marketing.[/QUOTE]

Business.

Marketing.

Sell you on something.

NO surprises there.

As long as it isn't big brother, I am cool with people trying to sell me on things, I am excellent at saying NO.

[QUOTE=SouthTown;3979349]One bushy beaver at Nova, and she was a west campus chick. Terrible terrible situation.:huh:[/QUOTE]

I figured she would have been a Rosemont or Bryn Mawr chick.

All League
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3979357]I figured she would have been a Rosemont or Bryn Mawr chick.[/QUOTE]

Nope...just a Chi OOOOOOOOOOOO my lordddddd that was a bad idea