Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Jabaal Sheard for the Jets?

What about Jabaal Sheard for the Jets?

Can anyone shed some light via a scouting report on the Pitt DE? From what little I read about him he seems like someone that can rush the passer, is very intense and will be there at the Jets spot. Can he make the transition from end to a 3-4 OLB?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-14-2011 at 09:35 PM.

He was involved in a fight at Pitt and threw someone through a sliding glass door.

Not something you want to read, but definitely a way to grab a 2nd round talent who falls to the 3rd round.

everything im hearing has Sheard moving into late first. He fits 4-3 D like Atlanta like a glove. He could convert to 3-4 OLB in theory but it would be a huge project. So long story short I think he's in the conversation but if he and Brooks Reed are both there, Reed is a better fit for Rex's D.

Pass rush: Hustling power rusher who can be a tough task for right tackles. Nice bull rush, gets under the blocker's pads and pushes them into the backfield. Gives great effort to get to the quarterback, even when he's all but tackled by blockers. Sniffs out misdirection and quick screens to his side; not exceptionally agile in space, but he reads cut blocks well and contains and drops to affect passing lanes. Very active moving and jumping to affect passing lanes if unable to reach the quarterback. Keeps his feet moving after initial contact, but is inconsistent disengaging from the blocks of better linemen. Needs to be more violent with his hands and take advantage of his speed against slower tackles. Only adequate flexibility and change-of-direction agility to turn the corner or be effective on twists. Must learn counter pass-rush moves to get past tackles at the next level; loses his balance and backfield awareness when attempting the occasional spin move.

Run defense: Not the largest strong-side end but maintains leverage to hold the line of scrimmage. Crashes down hard on inside and short-yardage runs, lowers his pads to get leverage against approaching linemen. Tight ends have a difficult time controlling him on the edge, uses strong hands or quickness to contain on his side of the line. Works hard to stay on his feet, get off blocks to stay active and keep containment on plays run towards him.

Explosion: Is not elite in this category, but has adequate speed off the snap for his size when his ears are pinned back on the pass rush. Good pop into his man's numbers on bull rushes. Uses violent hands to knock aside blockers on run plays.

Strength: Plays stronger than his height/weight numbers indicate. Knows how to keep his pads low to get leverage on the edge against the run and bull rush his man into the pocket. Stacks his man and can disengage using violent and strong hands to move inside or outside.

Tackling: Solid, if not explosive, tackler on the edge who makes it difficult for teams to run inside or outside of him. Closes well when coming straight toward the ball, but his stiff hips do not always allow him to break down in space or change direction quickly. Good hustle-and-chase type, makes plays down the line and downfield.

Intangibles: Team leader and captain because of his work ethic and intensity. Worked through a knee injury suffered in the summer of 2009 to play every game last season. Had minor elbow surgery in December 2010 that caused him to miss the team's bowl game. Helped an elderly woman escape from her burning home and received a bravery award. Good student, majoring in forensic sciences. Arrested in July 2010 for involvement in fight; continued to punch the man after police called for him to stop and threw the man through the glass door of a business. Pled guilty to disorderly conduct (originally charged with felony aggravated assault and resisting arrest), was order to apologize, pay medical bills. He was suspended for two weeks and faced internal discipline.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243192

I don't dislike him as a 3-4 OLB, but he's not great for the position. I'd be excited if he was the pick because I like the player and I trust the coaches/FO, but he's nowhere near the ideal pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    everything im hearing has Sheard moving into late first. He fits 4-3 D like Atlanta like a glove. He could convert to 3-4 OLB in theory but it would be a huge project. So long story short I think he's in the conversation but if he and Brooks Reed are both there, Reed is a better fit for Rex's D.
    agreed! Reed makes a lot of sense for the Jets. Some people are calling for this player. Bit, what is your opinion? others too please/ I do not know much about him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Defensive End | Iowa | SR Adrian Clayborn
    Height: 6-4 | Weight: 285 | 40-Time: 4.75

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Solid frame with adequate height and excellent bulk
    Athletic with great speed, quickness and agility
    Physical with terrific strength and power
    Active and aggressive with a non-stop motor
    Outstanding instincts, vision and awareness
    Showcases a varied repertoire of pass rush moves
    Polished technician who understands leverage
    Stout at point of attack and a good run defender
    A reliable tackler who will deliver the big hit
    Shows the ability to take on and shed blockers
    Violent hands and jolts blockers with initial pop
    Superb bull rusher who can re-establish the line
    Fiery, competitive and plays with a nasty demeanor
    Tough, hard working and an exceptional leader
    Will offer teams some schematic versatility
    Durable with a lot of high-quality experience

Weaknesses:
    Is not overly explosive and lacks a burst
    Isn't a dynamic rushing threat off the edge
    Not very fluid or comfortable in space
    Range is relatively limited in pursuit
    Probably doesn't have a ton of upside
    Ran into some trouble off the field
    Production really slipped as a senior
    Has some health and durability concerns

Notes:
    A three-year starter and team captain for the Hawkeyes --- Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2009 and 2010 --- Was considered to be a potential first round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft but opted to return for his senior season --- MVP of the FedEx Orange Bowl as a junior after notching nine tackles and two sacks against Georgia Tech --- Born with Erb's Palsy, a condition that caused nerve damage to his right shoulder and leads to weakness and restriction of motion --- Finished college career with 30 consecutive starts --- Arrested in January of 2009 and eventually pled guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from an altercation with a taxicab driver --- Was the target of a female stalker, who was ultimately found guilty of third degree harassment --- Could project to defensive end in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme at the next level --- Also kicked inside to defensive tackle at times during college career --- A solid all-around, versatile player with a nice blend of physical tools and intangibles who is effective against both the run and the pass --- Doesn't profile as an elite pass rusher in the NFL but should be a dependable, consistent starter for a long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK
    2006 RS - - -
    2007 12 20 2.5 2.0
    2008 13 50 8.0 2.0
    2009 13 70 20.0 11.5
    2010 13 52 7.0 3.5
    Totals 51 192 37.5 19.0
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-15-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Is he more athletic and faster than Pace and Thomas??

Sporting News' Russ Lande believes Pitt DE Jabaal Sheard has locked up a spot in the top-20 of next month's draft after a fine performance at the Panthers' Pro Day.

Lande, an outside-the-box evaluator, is in the minority here, as most analysts believe Sheard is a second-rounder. Lande has Sheard projected to go to the Jags at No. 16 overall after an impressive 4.69 forty at the Combine. A fluid athlete with a mean streak, Sheard has been unable to train heavily after undergoing elbow surgery in December.

There are going to be so many guys that fall to the 2nd round that are talented and are Front 7 guys. I sincerely hope we trade back and start to pick up some more young guys.

just want to bump this up and say Jabaal Sheard at 30 is making an awful lot of sense.

he's got the production, he comes from a big school (not a mid major) he's probably not an ideal 3-4 OLB but could play Jason Taylor's role early on (20+ snaps a game, mostly on 3rd and long)... he had a very good combine workout... i really like his game... and would not be surprised at all if he were the pick at 30

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

just want to bump this up and say Jabaal Sheard at 30 is making an awful lot of sense.

he's got the production, he comes from a big school (not a mid major) he's probably not an ideal 3-4 OLB but could play Jason Taylor's role early on (20+ snaps a game, mostly on 3rd and long)... he had a very good combine workout... i really like his game... and would not be surprised at all if he were the pick at 30
    The discussion about him is that he'll have to make a transition to 3-4 OLB.....but doesn't everyone basically? How many guys leave college as a polished 3-4 edge rusher?

Brooks Reed, everyone's favorite pass rusher, will have to. I don't think he stood up in college at all.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The discussion about him is that he'll have to make a transition to 3-4 OLB.....but doesn't everyone basically? How many guys leave college as a polished 3-4 edge rusher?
    it's a good point and the answer is usually 0. they all have to transition. when it's nickel or dime look there is no stand up... the Jets could keep Bryan Thomas around and draft someone who hopefully in 2 or 3 seasons can play that OLB role. You are right tho it's a transition for everyone, that includes Smith, Quinn, Kerrigan, Reed, all of em.

it's a good point and the answer is usually 0. they all have to transition. when it's nickel or dime look there is no stand up... the Jets could keep Bryan Thomas around and draft someone who hopefully in 2 or 3 seasons can play that OLB role. You are right tho it's a transition for everyone, that includes Smith, Quinn, Kerrigan, Reed, all of em.
    however after the gholston failure, tanny may be hesitant to take a guy in the first round who must make the conversion even if they think he'll be successful. taking a pure DE or a guy like taylor is easier to justify from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    however after the gholston failure, tanny may be hesitant to take a guy in the first round who must make the conversion even if they think he'll be successful. taking a pure DE or a guy like taylor is easier to justify from that perspective.
    I can't see this as a valid excuse. At some point, the FO is going to have to pull the trigger or spend heavily in the open market. While I like the DL options at 30 more than the OLB, late first is as good a time as any to pick one and will be much more cost effective than sinking 10 mill into a FA (although the FA is a proven commodity).

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    I can't see this as a valid excuse. At some point, the FO is going to have to pull the trigger or spend heavily in the open market. While I like the DL options at 30 more than the OLB, late first is as good a time as any to pick one and will be much more cost effective than sinking 10 mill into a FA (although the FA is a proven commodity).
    all i'm saying is that if the jets are sitting on the clock and they like sheard, taylor and heyward about the same, and will pick 1 of them, i wouldn't be surprised if they took heyward just b/c they won't have to worry about changing the guy's position. then they could take a guy in the 3rd round who requires a positional change. just throwing this out there, as tanny has only 1 blemish on his draft record, a guy he thought could change from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 LB

Been thinking the same..He's in my list of 3 or 4 players (Heyward, Taylor, Ballard) for #30 consideration.

Got to watch Sheard this weekend and wasn't overly impressed. Just don't see enough speed around the edge and he's not great enough at any other trait to make up for it. He also doesn't like to commit to the edge rush enough. Either way, it's just ordinary. You aren't getting much improvement over guys we already have and I'm not very interested in that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Been thinking the same..He's in my list of 3 or 4 players (Heyward, Taylor, Ballard) for #30 consideration.
    One nugget that I found interesting on Draft Insider was the steady rise of Andy Dalton and how he would almost certainly be gone by the 40th pick. It would stand to reason that a team that didn't get a QB in the first round and picked in the first third to half of the second round may want to trade up to the Jets pick to nab him.

If the Jets were to drop 10 picks or so, Sheard may be a guy that could be enticing. If he falls into the same general bucket as Reed, Taylor, etc and the Jets were reasonably confident they could grab one of them, I'd like to see that happen. If the board falls a certain way, there aren't any guys that I would be falling over for for the Jets to grab. If 6-8 of them are left (maybe Sheard, Ballard, Reed, Taylor, and a couple of others) the risk may be worth it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Got to watch Sheard this weekend and wasn't overly impressed. Just don't see enough speed around the edge and he's not great enough at any other trait to make up for it. He also doesn't like to commit to the edge rush enough. Either way, it's just ordinary. You aren't getting much improvement over guys we already have and I'm not very interested in that.
    agreed- solid but never been a big fan....sheard was never a dominant player in a very average conference with average offensive tackles, except for Anthony Davis...makes plays once in a while but never really stood out on a daily basis...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Either way, it's just ordinary. You aren't getting much improvement over guys we already have and I'm not very interested in that.
    this is sorta the problem with picking at 30 and having very specific needs. Sheard would be the 15th or 16th DL taken... not gonna find VOn Miller at 30.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

What's the current thinking on Romeus? I thought he was bigger but when I just looked him up he only goes 265. Does he have a place in the Jets defense or is he solely a 4-3 guy?

If his rehab is going well, I could see a team getting a real steal on him in the mid-rounds.