View Poll Results: Should the Jets pick CB Jimmy Smith if he's there at 30?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 26.32%
  • No

    28 73.68%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: what if Jimmy Smith is there at 30?

  1. #1

    what if Jimmy Smith is there at 30?

    Scenario the Jets are on the board and Colorado CB Jimmy Smith is on the board at 30 overall. Do they take him?

    To give more color let's say all the "top tier" DL and OLB are gone and we are looking at alternatives such as Ballard, Liuget and Brooks Reed. There is no Cameron Heyward or Ryan Kerrigan on the board.

    This is a player with top 15 measurables but reportedly several teams have taken him off their board for character concerns.

    I have my own opinions but will with-hold them until we get some votes on the poll.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,265
    he is going to be available and the jets will pass on him like everybody else

  3. #3
    Barring him being a complete wacko, I'd take him. The only way to know where he's at mentally is to sit there and talk with him for a bit.

    Bottom line is that corners mean a lot in our system. They are going for an absolute ton of money in the NFL right now so the only way to get a good corner for us and not have to give them so much money is to draft them.

    Not the optimal scenario, but something we'll have to deal with.

    I think he goes before us though... Only 3 high end corners in this draft. Perhaps Aaron Williams if you want to be convinced that his 40 time isn't going to hinder him.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Barring him being a complete wacko, I'd take him. The only way to know where he's at mentally is to sit there and talk with him for a bit.

    Bottom line is that corners mean a lot in our system. They are going for an absolute ton of money in the NFL right now so the only way to get a good corner for us and not have to give them so much money is to draft them.

    Not the optimal scenario, but something we'll have to deal with.

    I think he goes before us though... Only 3 high end corners in this draft. Perhaps Aaron Williams if you want to be convinced that his 40 time isn't going to hinder him.
    you don't want him....he's been taken off a number of boards around the league for some serious character concerns...there's about a 99% chance he's available @30 after the sh!t that went down in indy...

    plus his combine workout was not good...yeh, he's good when he gets his hands on receivers but he struggles flipping his hips, loses out of his transition and shows minimal drive out of his plant...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    you don't want him....he's been taken off a number of boards around the league for some serious character concerns...there's about a 99% chance he's available @30 after the sh!t that went down in indy...

    plus his combine workout was not good...yeh, he's good when he gets his hands on receivers but he struggles flipping his hips, loses out of his transition and shows minimal drive out of his plant...
    Will that scare off the Jets though? They've shown a willingness to take on perceived problem players.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Will that scare off the Jets though? They've shown a willingness to take on perceived problem players.
    It would appear that he has problems playing the position as well. Not like say, Von Miller falling purely on character concerns (purely hypothetical, Miller is fine as far as I know).

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Will that scare off the Jets though? They've shown a willingness to take on perceived problem players.
    they take on established vets with problems- the rookies drafted by Ryan have been pretty good character guys for the most part....saints compared to Smith....

  8. #8
    What is the issue with Cromartie? A lot depends on what happens with him. Kyle wilson is far from a write off. I would be surprised if there was a scenario that taking a CB was our best scenario, even if our wish DE's olbs are off the board.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    you don't want him....he's been taken off a number of boards around the league for some serious character concerns...there's about a 99% chance he's available @30 after the sh!t that went down in indy...

    plus his combine workout was not good...yeh, he's good when he gets his hands on receivers but he struggles flipping his hips, loses out of his transition and shows minimal drive out of his plant...
    K, i trust you on the character thing regarding. That's a shame but then I hope that he goes above us just because he's a guy we won't take and it means that someone we may take will fall further.

    Bad character isn't even worth playing with.

    It's funny but two players last year who I couldn't believe fell were Perrish Cox and Everson Griffen. Both guys just showed so much on tape that the only reason left was that they must be bad people. Sure enough, they were both arrested, one I believe for rape.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 03-16-2011 at 02:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What is the issue with Cromartie? A lot depends on what happens with him. Kyle wilson is far from a write off. I would be surprised if there was a scenario that taking a CB was our best scenario, even if our wish DE's olbs are off the board.
    My main points about taking a corner is that it should always be a good scenario for us.

    And I'm a Wilson fan so definitely not writing him off.

    But:

    1. Corners are going for so much money on the FA market, that the only way to get a good one for cheaper is to draft them.

    2. Corners are extremely important in our system.

  11. #11
    could he be a worse character risk than Cro? This dude sounds like a carbon copy of Cromartie. Big, Fast, Doesn't Tackle, Amazing athlete... it's basically Cro on a rookie deal.

    also I guarantee Rex Ryan wants a cornerback. All things being equal he will root for the cornerback over any position.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    could he be a worse character risk than Cro? This dude sounds like a carbon copy of Cromartie. Big, Fast, Doesn't Tackle, Amazing athlete... it's basically Cro on a rookie deal.

    also I guarantee Rex Ryan wants a cornerback. All things being equal he will root for the cornerback over any position.
    There are different kinds of character...

    There is football character and off the field character. Not always do they bleed into both areas. Meggett was charged with something pretty bad (maybe was rape) but the guy had great football character.

    What CBNY suggested is that he has bad all-around character and those are the guys you don't want to mess with. They are bad for the locker room and the lower character guys aren't usually the guys who figure out how to get better anyway.

    And Cro made a bunch of stupid, immature decisions, but I wouldn't characterize him as having bad football character.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    What CBNY suggested is that he has bad all-around character and those are the guys you don't want to mess with. They are bad for the locker room and the lower character guys aren't usually the guys who figure out how to get better anyway.

    And Cro made a bunch of stupid, immature decisions, but I wouldn't characterize him as having bad football character.
    the dude has 9 kids by 8 moms and doesn't know their names. bad football character is code for not wanting to tackle, again does it sound like anyone? I think it's safe to say Cro and Smith both have bad character, football and otherwise.

    im not saying Jimmy Smith is some kind of amazing great player but at 30 he'd be a steal and he'd fit right in with all the other miscreants in the Jets locker room. This is not Mangini's team anymore.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the dude has 9 kids by 8 moms and doesn't know their names. bad football character is code for not wanting to tackle, again does it sound like anyone? I think it's safe to say Cro and Smith both have bad character, football and otherwise.

    im not saying Jimmy Smith is some kind of amazing great player but at 30 he'd be a steal and he'd fit right in with all the other miscreants in the Jets locker room. This is not Mangini's team anymore.
    I think what people are also trying to say is with Cro you at least know you have a good NFL CB...With a rookie you don't even know if they can play in the NFL let alone come with baggage...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the dude has 9 kids by 8 moms and doesn't know their names. bad football character is code for not wanting to tackle, again does it sound like anyone? I think it's safe to say Cro and Smith both have bad character, football and otherwise.

    im not saying Jimmy Smith is some kind of amazing great player but at 30 he'd be a steal and he'd fit right in with all the other miscreants in the Jets locker room. This is not Mangini's team anymore.
    Bad football character has nothing to do with not wanting to tackle. Deion Sanders didn't like to tackle but he still had great football character.

    A lack of willingness to tackle is just a trait as a player. A bad trait, but just a trait nonetheless.


    I view bad football character as TO. As in, even if the team wins, if you don't reach individual accomplishments and still *****, it's a problem. Bad football character is shunning your assignments within a defense to do something that could help you on a personal level. Something like Shaun Rogers. He had no interest in two-gapping so he'd just try to get an edge on a blocker and penetrate. that leaves the other guys out to dry.

    Santonio Holmes loves to smoke weed (a signal of bad character outside of football) but he clearly cares about his teammates and is a proponent of making them better. He also didn't cry very much when he clearly should have been getting more balls. He wanted to win. That's good football character.

  16. #16
    i guess im just a riverboat gambler... thanks for all responses

  17. #17
    No... If we are going to take CBs every year round 1 we will not get over the hump, we need to improve the front 7... Our guys just seemed unathletic and slow.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,722
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There are different kinds of character...

    There is football character and off the field character. Not always do they bleed into both areas. Meggett was charged with something pretty bad (maybe was rape) but the guy had great football character.

    What CBNY suggested is that he has bad all-around character and those are the guys you don't want to mess with. They are bad for the locker room and the lower character guys aren't usually the guys who figure out how to get better anyway.

    And Cro made a bunch of stupid, immature decisions, but I wouldn't characterize him as having bad football character.
    agreed1 I do not know what BIT is doing comparing CRO to Smith. What sady dealings did CRO have?

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,722
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    No... If we are going to take CBs every year round 1 we will not get over the hump, we need to improve the front 7... Our guys just seemed unathletic and slow.
    I have to say that you nailed it! I think we must go for a DE or OLB in rd 1. Rex usually goes for CBs in later rounds and develops them. Wilson notwithstanding! CRO in year 2 under REX can be a weapon!

  20. #20
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,209
    ... i reach for best available DL or OLB ...


    ... only exception ... maybe top Safety ...














    l_j_r

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us