View Poll Results: Should the Jets pick CB Jimmy Smith if he's there at 30?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 26.32%
  • No

28 73.68%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what if Jimmy Smith is there at 30?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    CRO in year 2 under REX can be a weapon!
    cro aint coming back. no way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    My main points about taking a corner is that it should always be a good scenario for us.

And I'm a Wilson fan so definitely not writing him off.

But:

1. Corners are going for so much money on the FA market, that the only way to get a good one for cheaper is to draft them.

2. Corners are extremely important in our system.
    For sure but we have the best one in the game that shuts down the other teams top player, our defense would be scarey good if we ever got a real pass rusher. If we add another CB then on many running downs either he or Wilson are on the bench. Depending on the scenario I won't be upset if we take a CB but I will be if I think a good Dline or olb is still there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    could he be a worse character risk than Cro? This dude sounds like a carbon copy of Cromartie. Big, Fast, Doesn't Tackle, Amazing athlete... it's basically Cro on a rookie deal.

also I guarantee Rex Ryan wants a cornerback. All things being equal he will root for the cornerback over any position.
    What exactly has Cromartie done? Have kids? That makes him an idiot, not an *******.

Rex always wants a DB or two in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I have to say that you nailed it! I think we must go for a DE or OLB in rd 1. Rex usually goes for CBs in later rounds and develops them. Wilson notwithstanding! CRO in year 2 under REX can be a weapon!
    Not trying to be a jerk here but I think we need to tone down on all the Rex can fix anything or anyone talk...He's a really good coach but he can't do everything....Besides, it's Dennis Thurman that should be fixing Cro..DT is the position coach...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If not,hope our tenders for him (1st &3rd) hold up in whatever CBA is reached.Who would Rex be looking at during MIssouri's pro day? don't need Qb,and Smith will be long gone.Any other Tigers you have rated as prospects?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    If not,hope our tenders for him (1st &3rd) hold up in whatever CBA is reached.Who would Rex be looking at during MIssouri's pro day? don't need Qb,and Smith will be long gone.Any other Tigers you have rated as prospects?
    Still have to scout...What if Smith falls for whatever reason or Rex deems him as a must have and tells Tanny to go get him even if he has to trade every pick...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Any other Tigers you have rated as prospects?

Kevin rutland is decent zone corner prospect but they don't send Head coaches to scout 5th rounders. I think he went for Aldon... and to scout Gabbert in case he ends up in the AFC.

as for Jimmy Smith we are all posting here about how they should take defensive linemen, this is the same routine that happened last year... with all the Cody and Odrick threads every day. Rex doesn't care about defensive linemen. He will care if a Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris is on the board at 30. the dude would have to be a felon for them to pass.

think about the state of the CB corp without cro and coleman. It's Revis (amazing), Wilson (question mark) and Cole (special teamer). Lowery might be a safety. What if Revis holds out again in a year or two? What if someone gets hurt?

So they definitely will draft a corner the question is what round will they do it in? I don't think it's certain they draft a DL, if they don't like the value. But they will draft a corner at some point. they have to... they have tons of developmental linemen, they don't have developmental corners to step up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Still have to scout...What if Smith falls for whatever reason or Rex deems him as a must have and tells Tanny to go get him even if he has to trade every pick...
    Tanny should then talk to clinkscales and Bradway and see what they say, if they say no, then Tanny should tell Rex to have a seat and let the scouts do their job. The coach can supply management with a list of wants but other than that it is my belief that for the most part they should stay the hell out of the process.

Being wowed by one pro day or the combine and then overriding scouts that watch these guys all the time is foolish. I'm sure it happens though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin rutland is decent zone corner prospect but they don't send Head coaches to scout 5th rounders. I think he went for Aldon... and to scout Gabbert in case he ends up in the AFC.

as for Jimmy Smith we are all posting here about how they should take defensive linemen, this is the same routine that happened last year... with all the Cody and Odrick threads every day. Rex doesn't care about defensive linemen. He will care if a Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris is on the board at 30. the dude would have to be a felon for them to pass.

think about the state of the CB corp without cro and coleman. It's Revis (amazing), Wilson (question mark) and Cole (special teamer). Lowery might be a safety. What if Revis holds out again in a year or two? What if someone gets hurt?

So they definitely will draft a corner the question is what round will they do it in? I don't think it's certain they draft a DL, if they don't like the value. But they will draft a corner at some point. they have to... they have tons of developmental linemen, they don't have developmental corners to step up.
    Too bad Rex lost the battle and the RAvens had to unfortunately draft Ngata.

With Ryan as DC for Ravens 2005-2008 they draft one pure CB in the 6th round of 2006, the same year they took Ngata at 12.

The funny thing is that you list all of our 2nd tier CBs as if they were jags and yet it is acceptable to have a bunch of unproven possible jags on the d-line.

In my opinion the #1 thing holding this team back from being a possibly true elite D is lack of pass rush, whether that comes from DE or OLB that is one thing we are the worst at on D. I've said before, a good CB or safety can make one area of the field or coverage of one player better. A good pass rusher can make 2 cb;s and 2 safeties better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Too bad Rex lost the battle and the RAvens had to unfortunately draft Ngata.

With Ryan as DC for Ravens 2005-2008 they draft one pure CB in the 6th round of 2006, the same year they took Ngata at 12.

The funny thing is that you list all of our 2nd tier CBs as if they were jags and yet it is acceptable to have a bunch of unproven possible jags on the d-line.

In my opinion the #1 thing holding this team back from being a possibly true elite D is lack of pass rush, whether that comes from DE or OLB that is one thing we are the worst at on D. I've said before, a good CB or safety can make one area of the field or coverage of one player better. A good pass rusher can make 2 cb;s and 2 safeties better.
    you say alot of things that make sense, here's where i disagree.

first off Devito and Pouha aren't JAGs they are actually pretty awesome in the Football Outsiders rankings. These guys are above average if not good starters. Rex could develop another guy in that way.

also the difference between Jets and ravens is that the ravens have a GM Ozzie Newsome who is a football guy, the Jets have an accountant/lawyer GM who leans on football guys. (And by the way the Ravens really could have used a corner or 2 down the stretch).

If there is a Ngata like prospect at 30 that's fine. I don't see Phil taylor as even in the same neighborhood as Ngata. Heyward, Wilkerson, Ballard... maybe... they could be the three names that have pass rush value.

I guess i did it to myself putting a poll on this thread. I know the message board wants a lineman. My point is I don't know that's the most likely outcome.

they definitely need an OLB, bad. they lost Taylor and it's Especially bad need if they cut Bryan thomas. they have Westerman, Pace and not much else.

they need a CB if they don't resign CRO. i've gone through why.

they don't really _need_ a DL, even tho Ellis is leaving there are 4 or 5 possible players who could step up (Pito, Dixon, Gilbert, MTV, Kroul).

taking a first round DL is kinda wasteful it takes one of Rex's greatest skills in developing "jag" linemen and disgards it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you say alot of things that make sense, here's where i disagree.

first off Devito and Pouha aren't JAGs they are actually pretty awesome in the Football Outsiders rankings. These guys are above average if not good starters. Rex could develop another guy in that way.

also the difference between Jets and ravens is that the ravens have a GM Ozzie Newsome who is a football guy, the Jets have an accountant/lawyer GM who leans on football guys. (And by the way the Ravens really could have used a corner or 2 down the stretch).

If there is a Ngata like prospect at 30 that's fine. I don't see Phil taylor as even in the same neighborhood as Ngata. Heyward, Wilkerson, Ballard... maybe... they could be the three names that have pass rush value.

I guess i did it to myself putting a poll on this thread. I know the message board wants a lineman. My point is I don't know that's the most likely outcome.

they definitely need an OLB, bad. they lost Taylor and it's Especially bad need if they cut Bryan thomas. they have Westerman, Pace and not much else.

they don't really _need_ a DL, even tho Ellis is leaving there are 4 or 5 possible players who could step up (Pito, Dixon, Gilbert, MTV, Kroul).

taking a first round DL is kinda wasteful it takes one of Rex's greatest skills in developing "jag" linemen and disgards it.
    unless NT is clearly BAP at #30, i think the jets go for best DE. they have guys who can rotate inside but don't have any speed outside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying they are jags just like I am not saying that our two starting CBs are jags. The guys behind those players are totally unproven at all. One had a bad injury others have done nothing to show they can play at a high level.

I agree that you don't draft a d-lineman if the value is not there. I don't believe in reaching for a need in the 1st round but if the Dline or olb is not there then I don't really want to make a risky pick on a CB.

All the guys you listed may or may not be able to be 'adequate' we need better than adequate from our front 7.

Rex has not turned guys like Devito and Pouha into forces. He has helped make them viable starters but no better than being good in one area (run defense.) Hey I like both of those players, they have done a very good job for us, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want a very good rather than a good player in a spot. It's like the discussion of the o-line coaches who always think they can make gold out of late round picks. Sooner or later you have to go and find that great LT rather than getting buy with lesser players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No... If we are going to take CBs every year round 1 we will not get over the hump, we need to improve the front 7... Our guys just seemed unathletic and slow.
    winning

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not ruling out Cro coming back. The whole "the jets want to resign both Braylon and Santonio" thing sounds like it could be window dressing to maintain leverage in a contract negotiation.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

lol- of course threads on a forum = conversation in Jets war room....and yet depsite the threads from last year to grab the workout warriors (guys form USC) there's still talk about taking subpar 3-4 players like houston...

facts are the jets wanted kareem jackson and never expected any DB to be available for them in the first frame....

plenty of 3rd/4th/5th round corners will be available....House/NMSU, Brown/UT, Burney/UNC, Burton/Utah, Rogers/Richmond, Patrick/Louisville, Checkwa/OSU, Hill/Miami...

the Jets just paid a corner almost $12/mill a year in August after drafting Wilson in the first round four months prior...tannebuam is not a football guy- he's a capologist and as such knows you don't time up a large % of the salary cap in any single position...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has not turned guys like Devito and Pouha into forces. He has helped make them viable starters but no better than being good in one area (run defense.) Hey I like both of those players, they have done a very good job for us, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want a very good rather than a good player in a spot. It's like the discussion of the o-line coaches who always think they can make gold out of late round picks. Sooner or later you have to go and find that great LT rather than getting buy with lesser players.
    I think we are underrating Devito and Pouha, they would be welcome additions and starters on the Pats or any other 3-4 squad.

Here's a general question what 3-4 DE out there also put up gaudy sack numbers? Mario Williams is the only name off the top of my head. Seymour and Ngata are premium ends but neither are sack masters. the defense gears all the production to linebacker... which is why it could be neither DL nor CB but a Brooks Reed type instead (Kerrigan, Quinn, A Smith, Justin Houston etc)

It's like the discussion of the o-line coaches who always think they can make gold out of late round picks. Sooner or later you have to go and find that great LT rather than getting buy with lesser players.
    that's a great point and as we all follow the draft every year there are great draft trends that hardly never gets broken.

the Chargers never take a first round tackle. They took McNeil in the 2nd but never a first.

Another trend is the Giants always take DE never take OT (at least hey haven't yet).

the Jags GM Gene Smith has drafted only 1 underclassman in 2 drafts, they are all about captains and character.

It's only got 1 year but Rex and CBs is kinda the start of a trend. another trend with Rex is taking chances on character concerns. it's not a huge sample size but that's the evidence we have historically that a guy like Jimmy Smith will be heavily researched. they might not take him but gotta believe they are talking about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the Jets just paid a corner almost $12/mill a year in August after drafting Wilson in the first round four months prior...tannebuam is not a football guy- he's a capologist and as such knows you don't time up a large % of the salary cap in any single position...
    so by that logic they shouldn't sign Cro and they shouldn't draft Jimmy Smith.

It could very well pan out that way. Rex ryan seems to love corners tho.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan loves corners b/c he needs at least two good ones who can play man to man while he attacks with his blitzes. I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up resigning Cro and let either Braylon or Santonio go.

Lowery is too slow. Wilson so far has flat out sucked - maybe he develops into an effective player I hope he does but so far it looks like Cody should have been the 1st round pick last season. The next option is to draft a CB in round 1 but we still have other needs and the crop of defensive linemen this year looks good.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Ryan loves corners b/c he needs at least two good ones who can play man to man while he attacks with his blitzes. I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up resigning Cro and let either Braylon or Santonio go.

Lowery is too slow. Wilson so far has flat out sucked - maybe he develops into an effective player I hope he does but so far it looks like Cody should have been the 1st round pick last season. The next option is to draft a CB in round 1 but we still have other needs and the crop of defensive linemen this year looks good.
    lol- yeh he looked great in May....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

they won't sign cromartie to any huge money contract with a lot of guarentees...