Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Should the Jets pick CB Jimmy Smith if he's there at 30?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 26.32%
  • No

28 73.68%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what if Jimmy Smith is there at 30?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    they won't sign cromartie to any huge money contract with a lot of guarentees...
    that dude needs every penny he's not taking a hometown discount... braylon might be more reasonable.

the other worrysome part is the DL crop is awesome and they will all be gone.

i've seen mocks with 8 of the 10 teams in the 21-30 range taking DL. scouts say 14 or 15DL could go in round 1.

what this boils down to the Jets might rather take the 3rd CB than the 15th DL.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    they won't sign cromartie to any huge money contract with a lot of guarentees...
    will anyone?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    that dude needs every penny he's not taking a hometown discount... braylon might be more reasonable.
    hence the Jets must pay him....

the other worrysome part is the DL crop is awesome and they will all be gone.

i've seen mocks with 8 of the 10 teams in the 21-30 range taking DL. scouts say 14 or 15DL could go in round 1.
    lol- of course mocks in mid march = results in late april....see how many had Wilson sliding to the Jets one year ago today...

what this boils down to the Jets might rather take the 3rd CB than the 15th DL.
    so- assuming 14 d-linemen are off the board by the 30th pick of the draft (i believe 11 is the record for d-linemen in round one) the 3rd CB available at that point (harris/smith) is a better player than the 15th d-lineman (anyone's guess)??

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    will anyone?
    probably not...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol- yeh he looked great in May....
    Cody looked good just about everytime he played last season. He had two pro bowlers ahead of him on the depth chart. Wilson looked like turd on the other hand. I'm rooting for Wilson to get better and if we lose Cro he better.
    Last edited by TerminatorJet; 03-18-2011 at 04:59 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    will anyone?
    probably not...
    There's always one idiot..............but Al Davis already spent all of his corner money on Routt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Cody looked good just about everytime he played last season. He had two pro bowlers ahead of him on the depth chart. Wilson looked like turd on the other hand. I'm rooting for Wilson to get better and if we lose Cro he better.
    What exactly did Wilson have in front of him? A probable HOF CB and a probowler. He also practiced at one position and then was forced to play another once the season started (sideline CB to slot CB tough transition for good ones, even worse for a rookie). As for stats:

Wilson was in on 35% (350) of the defensive snaps (was in a ton of the snaps early in the season). He was targeted 40 times for the season and gave up 48% completions (12yds/rec) and one TD. He also deflected 6 passes.

Cody was in on 14% (144) of the Ravens snaps and collected 7 tackles and 5 assists. He didn't register any pressures/hits/sacks in 58 pass rush snaps (not really his job anyway, just noting it).

To say that Cody was better than Wilson is just foolish IMHO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    will anyone?
    Never rule out Jerry Jones and Danny Snyder

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No we need to upgrade 3 the pasrush in the worst way. Take OLB/DE instead

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    No we need to upgrade 3 the pasrush in the worst way. Take OLB/DE instead
    if you upgrade the defensive front seven's ability to make plays behind the LOS (and this not mean simply drafting a pass rusher) mediocre players in the secondary can be made to look good....

if your front seven striggluse making plays behind the line of scrimmage mediocre players in the secondary will be exposed...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you upgrade the defensive front seven's ability to make plays behind the LOS (and this not mean simply drafting a pass rusher) mediocre players in the secondary can be made to look good....

if your front seven striggluse making plays behind the line of scrimmage mediocre players in the secondary will be exposed...
    This really was driven home to me the last year that John Abraham had a really good year for the Jets. Donnie Abraham late in his career and Barrett were our starting CB's and both looked very good a lot of games that year because the job John Abraham and Ellis were doing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    What exactly did Wilson have in front of him? A probable HOF CB and a probowler. He also practiced at one position and then was forced to play another once the season started (sideline CB to slot CB tough transition for good ones, even worse for a rookie). As for stats:

Wilson was in on 35% (350) of the defensive snaps (was in a ton of the snaps early in the season). He was targeted 40 times for the season and gave up 48% completions (12yds/rec) and one TD. He also deflected 6 passes.

Cody was in on 14% (144) of the Ravens snaps and collected 7 tackles and 5 assists. He didn't register any pressures/hits/sacks in 58 pass rush snaps (not really his job anyway, just noting it).

To say that Cody was better than Wilson is just foolish IMHO.
    Cody plays Nose so there's only one spot on the defense for him to play in while Wilson almost always has at least 2 at CB and alot of times more than that depending on what type of coverage the defense is in so I'd hope for his sake he did play more snaps than Cody last season. It would be quite an accomplishment if he didn't - almost Gholstonesque.

I'm rooting hard for Wilson. I, like 99% of Jets fans, was excited about the pick after last year's draft. It has't worked out so far but I think he'll improve and I'm rooting hard for him not only b/c he's a Jet he's also a local kid from Piscataway. But Cody has been the better NFL player so far.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.

Even if Antonio Cromartie is not brought back, you invested $48 million in Darrelle Revis and another $20+ million on Kyle Wilson, a first round pick at the same spot last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd like to bump this and say even tho the vote was overwhelmingly against the idea

i dont see any way Rex Ryan passes on Jimmy Smith. the pick makes too much sense, this is a very important position in the defense and it even guards against a future Revis hold out. I've done several mocks and the 3rd/4th rd CB names are ok but not Jimmy Smith level good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd like to bump this and say even tho the vote was overwhelmingly against the idea

i dont see any way Rex Ryan passes on Jimmy Smith. the pick makes too much sense, this is a very important position in the defense and it even guards against a future Revis hold out. I've done several mocks and the 3rd/4th rd CB names are ok but not Jimmy Smith level good.
    I know I'm being an A-hole here, but if they were Jimmy Smith good, they wouldn't be going in the 3/4th round.

A better question: As you were mocking what was the level of talent available at the Jets spot at DE/OLB in comparison to CB?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did i miss this thread?!?

here's a little diddy from yesterday...

(Rotoworld) Colorado CB Jimmy Smith was among the prospects the Jets hosted for a visit on Friday. Analysis: One of the draft's biggest character concern's, Smith is still unlikely to fall all the way to the Jets at No. 30. If he did, Gang Green probably wouldn't hesitate to draft him, especially if they don't like their chances of re-signing free agent Antonio Cromartie. Recently likened to Darrelle Revis by NFL Films guru Greg Cosell, Smith has a bright future ahead of him if he can keep his head on straight.
    I'm all about taking Smith if he's the BPA and i think a bigger reality than people may realize.

I'm not sold on Ayers, Taylor or Reed being the BPA when we pick. Granted we need to something about our pass rush, but I'd rather take a talented Corner like Smith, let Cromartie walk and focus our funds on Edwards/Holmes.

Heyway and Wilkerson seem to me to be guys that would be taken before Smith, thats about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scenario the Jets are on the board and Colorado CB Jimmy Smith is on the board at 30 overall. Do they take him?

To give more color let's say all the "top tier" DL and OLB are gone and we are looking at alternatives such as Ballard, Liuget and Brooks Reed. There is no Cameron Heyward or Ryan Kerrigan on the board.

This is a player with top 15 measurables but reportedly several teams have taken him off their board for character concerns.

I have my own opinions but will with-hold them until we get some votes on the poll.
    Bit I keep hearing more and more about Jimmy Smith. If he is there at 30 I believe that REX would take him and let Cro walk! Then he would go after a FREE AGENT passrusher. In the third round he would go for DL depyh.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

True enough but it is also true that if the secondary gives the front 7 lots of time to get to the QB, they will. i also happen to subscribe to the" QBs can not throw if they are on their butts school" though. Yet a CB with Smith's talent and measurables would be very inviting to REX at 30.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cornerback | Colorado | SR Jimmy Smith
    Height: 6-2 | Weight: 211 | 40-Time: 4.46

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Terrific height and bulk with long arms and big hands
    Extremely athletic with excellent timed speed
    Displays solid instincts / awareness in coverage
    Physical and gets an outstanding jam at the line
    Pretty good hands, ball skills and body control
    A reliable tackler who willingly supports the run
    Competitive and confident with a short memory
    Tough, hard working and a respected team leader
    Lots of experience against top-notch competition
    Great bloodlines and comes from a football family

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't play quite as fast as he runs in shorts
    Not explosive, lacking a burst to recover and close
    Is high-cut and doesn't flip hips or transition well
    Will need to polish technique and footwork
    Will gamble and is too aggressive at times
    Didn't make a ton of impact plays in college

Notes:
    A three-year starter for the Buffaloes --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 and 1st Team in 2010 --- Has four brothers that also played college football: Ryan Smalls (Millikin), Terrance Smalls (Illinois), Paul Smith (New Mexico) and Anthony Smalls (Idaho State) --- Missed two games with a back injury in 2008 --- Allowed just 11 completions combined as a junior and senior, with opponents routinely shying away from his side of the field --- Would fit best in a scheme where he can play a lot of press coverage --- A Workout Warrior who looks like a first round pick on paper but doesn't always play up to those impressive triangle numbers --- Certainly has the potential to be a starter at the next level but will likely be selected earlier than the tape would indicate due to that tantalizing blend of Height / Weight / Speed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
    2006 RS - - - -
    2007 9 5 2 1 31
    2008 9 35 4 0 0
    2009 12 52 7 2 10
    2010 12 70 5 0 0
    Totals 42 162 18 3 41
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be akin to the Lions drafting 9 million wide receivers... I mean after all having all those threats on the outside would make it impossible to sack the QB and open up running lanes for the RBs right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    This would be akin to the Lions drafting 9 million wide receivers... I mean after all having all those threats on the outside would make it impossible to sack the QB and open up running lanes for the RBs right?
    No... not at all really. We're coming off another AFCCG, Cromartie may or may not be back, and Smith might just the BPA to us at that pick.

I'm not talent scout, but possibly Ayers, and Reed are significant reaches at #30. Are they good enough to unseat Thomas & Pace? I dunno, doubt it.

Heyward, Wilkerson, and the almost impossible to imagine Kerrigan and Jordan are likely better picks, but should they all be gone....

Jimmy Smith, New York Jet.