Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilfer : Jets' defense is 'smoke and mirrors' ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Dilfer : Jets' defense is 'smoke and mirrors' ~ ~ ~

> [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26994/dilfer-jets-defense-is-smoke-and-mirrors[/url]

I agree with Dilfer. Jets defensive front must get bigger and stronger. This is why we lost the AFC championship game.

He's got a point...a great D can't exist without a truly great DL...the rankings for this D have been nice the past two years, but they can be so much better moving forward.

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;3981431]I agree with Dilfer. Jets defensive front must get bigger and stronger. [b]This is why we lost the AFC championship game.[/b][/QUOTE]

it could be argued that the Jets lost the AFC Championship game on the Sanchez fumble that made it 24-0. Without that play they could win 19-17.

We all watch alot of Jets football, is the DL is even close to the weakest unit?

[QUOTE=bitonti;3981437]it could be argued that the Jets lost the AFC Championship game on the Sanchez fumble that made it 24-0. Without that play they could win 19-17.

We all watch alot of Jets football, is the DL is even close to the weakest unit?[/QUOTE]

DL is indeed the weakest unit (you could make an argument for OLBs too but I won't). It's not that the current players stink, it's that we lack DEPTH and the starters have to play too many reps over the course of the season.

Ropati and Jenkins were too much to lose.

We lost that game because the defense made 1 too many mistakes. I'm not gonna burn Sanchez for the fumble because he shouldnt even have been throwing deep in that situation if the defense holds it own and keeps the Jets in the game.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3981437]it could be argued that the Jets lost the AFC Championship game on the Sanchez fumble that made it 24-0. Without that play they could win 19-17.

We all watch alot of Jets football, is the DL is even close to the weakest unit?[/QUOTE]

it could be argued that the game was lost earlier than that, when the defense let Rashard Mendenhall run all over them and dug us into a 17-0 hole on the road.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3981450]it could be argued that the game was lost earlier than that, when the defense let Rashard Mendenhall run all over them and dug us into a 17-0 hole on the road.[/QUOTE]

but they scored 19 points ? also why blame the DL when the ILBs missed a ton of tackles? Bart Scott played like doodie in the first half.

You forget to mention that the Steelers had the ball with 2 minutes to go in Jets terrority but didn't need to gain another yard at that point...If it was 19-17 the Steelers were in position to get more points..The D didn't make stops in the 1st half and didn't make stops with 2+ minutes to go....

All Pro
    All fair points. We are a very good defense mostly because of scheming and smarts but lack in talent holds us back from being a great, dominant defense...

We all watch alot of Jets football, is the DL is even close to the weakest unit?[/QUOTE]...u could say that about every score then...the Jet defense was a step slow in the first half...they rallied in the second but ...

He's talking trash, like the Jets ain't the 3rd best defense in the league.

[QUOTE=2foolish197;3981547]...u could say that about every score then...the Jet defense was a step slow in the first half...they rallied in the second but ...[/QUOTE]

Jets fans love to harp on the D but the truth is the O especially QB must get better.

we can't shoot for a ravens, bucs and bears type of Super Bowl where the D was all time great, the league just doesn't work like that. With all these rule changes, there will be points scored and if a D holds the other team to 20 points or less on the road it's doing a decent job.

BL Mark Sanchez can't throw 55% accuracy and have a 30 QB rating in the 1st quarter and expect to win the Super Bowl. I think we are harder on the D cause we don't want to confront the reality of the situation. Don't get me wrong I love Mark and he will get better but they are not 1 defensive lineman away from a Super Bowl.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3981581]Jets fans love to harp on the D but the truth is the O especially QB must get better.

we can't shoot for a ravens, bucs and bears type of Super Bowl where the D was all time great, the league just doesn't work like that. With all these rule changes, there will be points scored and if a D holds the other team to 20 points or less on the road it's doing a decent job.

BL Mark Sanchez can't throw 55% accuracy and have a 30 QB rating in the 1st quarter and expect to win the Super Bowl. I think we are harder on the D cause we don't want to confront the reality of the situation. Don't get me wrong I love Mark and he will get better but they are not 1 defensive lineman away from a Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

I don't think people are disagreeing with you about Sanchez needing to get better...But if you don't think the Jets D lacks talent, especially the front 7, well then I don't know what else to say...

This is an ironic statement considering Trent Dilfer's entire career was smoke and mirrors. He is by far the worst qb to ever win a Super Bowl. If it wasn't for Ray Lewis Dilfer would pretty much be considered a bust.

Banned
    I can't argue with Dilfer. We have a solid, yet unspectacular D-Line. Pouha and Devito are good players, but if you put a gamechanger in that lineup with them, they'll become a much better group.

Hall Of Fame
    more re our D dept. :

~ ~ Calvin Pace Rates Among Worst Pass Rushers According to Pro Football Focus

> [url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/3/17/2055141/calvin-pace-rates-among-worst-pass-rushers-according-to-pro-football[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE][B]Dilfer : Kelly is 'smoke and mirrors' ~ ~ ~[/B][/QUOTE]

He really is becoming a thorough analyst.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3982425]He really is becoming a thorough analyst.[/QUOTE]jetstream23 ---------------------> [url]http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199518_110575662354916_100002074498615_97471_7932423_n.jpg[/url]

[QUOTE=TerminatorJet;3981596]This is an ironic statement considering Trent Dilfer's entire career was smoke and mirrors. He is by far the worst qb to ever win a Super Bowl. If it wasn't for Ray Lewis Dilfer would pretty much be considered a bust.[/QUOTE]

People looking to discredit Dilfer need to find something else to hang their hats on.

He's no Peyton Manning, but he's a very good QB whom the Ravens have sorely...SORELY missed after their super bowl run.

Go check out the Bears QB in '85 or Brad freaking Johnson in '02. Now THOSE were some bad super bowl winning QBs.

All League
    We need to pay attention to the DL before we [b]have no choice[/b] but to pay attention to it.

Ellis has maybe a year left, maybe even a half year. Devito and Pouha are solid but not upper tier guys. Behind them we have .................

The unit is without a big presence and is paper thin. It can become a huge problem. On Defense the focus should be on DL and OLB's and if the situation presents itself, S. We can make due with the rest of the supporting cast.

Those saying that if the O played better it would make up for the D, well what position can we upgrade on Offense through FA and the Draft? I don't see a single one. We have the OL, QB, WR's (w/ Braylon and Holmes), TE's FB, HB's practically set in stone. [b]That unit relies on the QB and the OC to become better[/b], I don't see how we can or where we would be able to add any pieces to improve.

Make no mistake about it, the Jets need help at DL, OLB, and S before they even think about Offense.
    Last edited by CV 40; 03-17-2011 at 02:19 PM.