Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP Tired of Right-Wing?

All Pro

Post GOP Tired of Right-Wing?

By: Marin Cogan and Jake Sherman
    March 16, 2011 04:33 AM EDT

Some veteran Republican House members are pushing back against conservative deficit hawks who are pushing for endlessly deep spending cuts, saying the right wing of the party is creating unnecessary divisions for the GOP majority.

While the 54 Republicans who voted against the most recent stopgap spending bill didn’t derail the legislation, some GOP lawmakers are becoming increasingly wary of a faction that rejects substantial spending cuts because they want deeper ones or the inclusion of divisive social policy riders.

Many of the critics are close to Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who struggles more each day to keep his majority unified as a three-month spending showdown threatens to spill into April. The House passed $6 billion of spending cuts Tuesday, to bring the total cut to $10 billion.

“Yep, it is surprising,” Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson said of the difficulty convincing hard-liners that the leadership is cutting large amounts of spending. “I mean, this is three weeks; we’re cutting $6 billion. You know? It is surprising. This is the only time in my life where I can cut $6 billion in a three-week period and be called a liberal.”

Ohio Rep. Steve LaTourette, an appropriator close to Boehner, said Republicans are seeing a “constant tension” between “the Democratic Party that talks about cuts but doesn’t want to cut anything, and then you have my side, that wants to cut anything that moves.

“That creates this dynamic tension, and you have people in my party that are angry that we are not adding riders, or shutting down the government, things like that, but this is exactly what people expect us to do — find cuts and continue to talk,” LaTourette said.

Other Republicans are quietly complaining that a few bombastic members of their conference who regularly appear on TV create an outsize perception of pressure.

At the center of the debate is the 87-strong freshman class. Most of its members voted “yes” on the resolution, bucking the perception they would be a rogue bloc opposing the GOP spending measure. But 22 freshmen voted no. In fact, many conservatives feel emboldened by the freshmen, even if they don’t match up on votes.

Ohio Rep. Steve Stivers, a Republican freshman, called his “yes” vote a “no-brainer,” saying he “cut spending” and kept the government open. “Clearly, there are some folks on the left and right who have other agenda items, but my goal is to cut spending.”

Illinois Rep. Robert Dold, another Republican freshman, said calling the freshmen a rogue bunch wouldn’t be entirely accurate.

“Certainly, the freshmen are motivated,” Dold said. “They are motivated to create an environment that’s positive for private-sector job creation and motivated to rein in out-of-control government spending, but I think a lot of things happening right now, they’re going to claim it’s freshmen, when in fact it could be others in the caucus that are trying to drive some things.”

Others suggested there was very little daylight between the members voting for or against the bill.

“Look, there’s no difference in where we all want to go; the only difference is that in some cases the tactics are different. People always make their own decisions, and we ultimately realize we have to make cuts of $2 billion a week,” said Illinois freshman GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger, who supported the continuing resolution.

Increasingly, the narrative emerging is a classic one, more about hard-liners vs. pragmatists than freshmen vs. leadership. But that tension is exacerbated by the number of outside activists closely watching the spending debate.

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), an appropriator who backed the bill Tuesday, said there are “435 people [in Congress and] each one thinks they have the franchise on turning America around. And so what we’re going through, some of it is growing pains, some of it is government pains, and we’ll get there.

“I think the frustration is with those of us who have a legislative scar or two,” he said, “because of our years of seeing things and having seen people come and go, we’ve seen negotiations melt down; we’ve seen if you can’t get 218 people from our party, we have to go to the other party and that makes a worse product; and some of us still remember the government shutdown, which isn’t as bad as people think, but it wasn’t a walk in the park. We need to have unity; there’s strength in unity but not a blind unity.”

Perhaps nothing illustrates the tension better than the dustup between House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy of California and Indiana Rep. Mike Pence during a closed-door House Republican Conference meeting Tuesday morning.

When Pence announced he would vote against the bill, McCarthy asked why he would vote for H.R. 1 but not the three-week measure under consideration. Pence said the nation is adding $2 billion in debt each day. But McCarthy pressed on — wanting to know how Pence was helping reduce the debt by voting against the bill.

“How much are you cutting?” McCarthy asked Pence, according to sources inside the room.

Later, McCarthy’s office released a statement that “Mike Pence is a good friend of mine. We were simply having a conversation about the best way to achieve our goal of cutting spending.”

Rep. Tom Cole, an Oklahoma Republican who once served as chief of staff at the Republican National Committee, said the conservatives should be pushing hard for additional cuts, but the right “diminishes their own accomplishment when they diminish” the cuts.

“I think it’s usually wiser to vote with the Republican leader than with Nancy Pelosi if you’re a Republican,” Cole told POLITICO. “I think politically that’s a harder vote to explain at home than voting with John Boehner. I don’t see anything to be gained that way.”

“At the end of the day, politics is a team sport,” Cole said. “The only two things you can do as a member of the House on your own is hire and fire your staff and cast one vote. If you really want to get something done, you have to be part of a team that can muster 218 and work with the Senate and the president. That’s just the way the founders set up the system. ... And that’s going to make it difficult for you to always get what you want.”

Some lawmakers say that isn’t enough. In the run-up to the vote, roughly a dozen members, including Pence and Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, chairman of the Republican Study Committee, stepped forward to say they wouldn’t support the spending measure. Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) is readying a letter to Boehner to urge him to take further action on cutting off health care funding.

In fact, the idea that it’s not enough to slash $10 billion is ludicrous to some lawmakers — especially longer-serving Republicans. In private conversations around the Capitol, they are growing increasingly frustrated with the cavalcade of outside groups, talking heads and conservative lawmakers who seem to be driving the debate. Pairing with outside groups, such as Heritage Action, they’re providing the leadership with headaches.

“I think the endgame is the deal has to be struck,” LaTourette told POLITICO. “Hopefully, the pressure will mount from the advocacy groups that you have to find the common ground. I know that’s what the speaker’s working toward. The common ground.”

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.c...6C0540A713F6DD

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Obama is playing this thing perfectly from a political standpoint

the congress cuts a little each time... cuts both parties agree on...

but eventually we will get to a point where the GOP wants to cut Planned Parenthood or shut down the entire gov't. they will look like dogmatic jerks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Obama is playing this thing perfectly from a political standpoint

the congress cuts a little each time... cuts both parties agree on...

but eventually we will get to a point where the GOP wants to cut Planned Parenthood or shut down the entire gov't. they will look like dogmatic jerks.
    As of now Obama is an excellent politician and a non-descript leader
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-16-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

By the same token, there are plenty of right-wingers who are tired of the GOP.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    As of now Obama is an excellent politician and a non-discript leader
    A "nondescript leader"? How is that even possible?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Some veteran Republican House members are pushing back against conservative deficit hawks who are pushing for endlessly deep spending cuts, saying the right wing of the party is creating unnecessary divisions for the GOP majority.
    I read this line, lol'd at the dripping bias behind it (endlessly deep, lol, lol, lol) and went on my way.

Good one, I lol'd.

But this:

As of now Obama is an excellent politician and a non-discript leader
    And Bit's comment, I agreed with in re: this Budget Battle.

Hall Of Fame
    #3!

#3!

#3!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Yeah and I'm one of them

Screw the establishment, I'm with the young turks, exactly the kind of radicals we need to fight leftist radicals. Its about time we start taking the fight to these people instead of laying back, playing defense, and hoping when all is said and done they toss us a few crumbs.

The heck with that, lets take a flame-thrower to this mess and challenge our liberal friends to a bare knuckle brawl. If the American people side with the liberals, so be it, then lets go down in a blaze of glory having made at least one real attempt to save the Republic from their evil grips, but I'm betting they will side with conservatives just like they sided with Reagan, especially after four years of this current debacle.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

we know this much...despite getting their asses handed to them in November the DNC is not tired of the left wing.....march on harry reid!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Exactly, the Democrat party NEVER repudiates its (liberal) base, only Republicans are that stupid.

Oh and of course you never hear the MSM ask a prominent Democrat to repudiate the looney left, they only ask prominent Republicans to repudiate conservatives.
    speaking of the MSM- did you see michele bachman smack them down yesterday???

Bachmann: I made a mistake; media shows bias in reporting it
    By: CNN Political Producer Shannon Travis

Washington (CNN) - Three days after her widely-reported gaffe, Rep. Michele Bachmann explained it by essentially saying: I made a mistake, but the media's reporting of it proves bias.

Bachmann made the comments on Tuesday during an interview on the conservative Laura Ingraham radio show.

On Saturday at an engagement in Manchester, Bachmann said of New Hampshire, "You're the state where the shot was heard around the world at Lexington and Concord."

The battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775 were fought in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire.

In Tuesday's radio interview, Bachmann accepted blame for her bungling of a basic historical fact.

"I made a mistake," she said. "I should've said Massachusetts instead of New Hampshire."

The Minnesota Republican was then asked if she was surprised by news reports on the gaffe.

"No, not at all," Bachmann told the interviewer. "We all know that there's a double standard in the media."

Bachmann highlighted moments when President Barack Obama misspoke as a candidate. In one instance, in May 2008, then-Sen. Obama said, "Over the last 15 months, we've traveled to every corner of the United States. I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go."

Later in the day, Obama told reporters that he misspoke.

Bachmann suggested that helps prove a liberal media bias.

"Of course, that wasn't considered newsworthy," she said of Obama's remarks. "The 3,400 members of the mainstream media are a part of the Obama press contingent."

"So it doesn't matter which conservative is out there, if an error is made, in any way, that is what is stated. They didn't talk about the great crowds, the standing ovations, the wonderful time that we had in New Hampshire. And that is just the way that it goes."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-reporting-it/

All Pro
    there's a concord NH so that's not as dumb as B. Hussein confusing
    teh # of states with the # of Heinz varieties

then again the foreign born don't know US history at all...these threads show it

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post

Jebus, CB...this is why you get no cred...backing up that idiot? Sad, really.

Hey, how about a Bachman- Palin ticket?

All Pro

So its the "liberal" media's fault that Bachman made a stupid comment? Just like its the media's fault that Sarah Palin could not recall one place where she gets the news. Got it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post

lol- yes, that's what i'm searching for- credibility from posters on an internet forum....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

So its the "liberal" media's fault that Bachman made a stupid comment? Just like its the media's fault that Sarah Palin could not recall one place where she gets the news. Got it.
    lol- where did i say that??? where did she say that?? oh-right...never even came close...

she admitted it was wrong but pointed out the obvious- the media harped on her mistake while barely mentioning obama's "57-state" gaffe....

is she wrong????
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post

Catholics...religious right....any one except the decrepit Luap Nor that you like?

That ticket would crush Paul/Kucinich any day

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    absolutely...most would take 1000 marco rubio's or alan west's before a single olympia snow, etc....

All Pro
    lol- where did i say that??? where did she say that?? oh-right...never even came close...

she admitted it was wrong but pointed out the fobvious- the media harped on her mistake while barely mentioning obama's "57-state" gaffe....

is she wrong????
    Whenever a conservative makes a stupid comment or act there is some mention of the liberal media conspiracy. In this case Bachman admits she "made a mistake" but then quickly tries to shift the focus back to the liberal biased media. This tactic is standard playbook stuff. Another example was to
    blame Katie Couric for trapping poor Sarah Palin by asking the unfair questions:

COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?
    PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media —

COURIC: But which ones specifically? I’m curious.

PALIN: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years.

COURIC: Can you name any of them?

PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_P...h_Katie_Couric

As for Obama's dumb comment, I seem to remember it did get a lot of play. Maybe not as much as some had hoped

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

its implied. Whenever a conservative makes a stupid comment or act there is some mention of the liberal media conspiracy. In this case Bachman admits she "made a mistake" but then quickly tries to shift the focus back to the liberal biased media. This tactic is standard playbook stuff. Another example was to
    blame Katie Couric for trapping poor Sarah Palin by asking the unfair questions:

COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?
    PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media —

COURIC: But which ones specifically? I’m curious.

PALIN: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years.

COURIC: Can you name any of them?

PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_P...h_Katie_Couric

As for Obama's dumb comment, I seem to remember it did get a lot of play. Maybe not as much as some had hoped
    conspiracy??? lol....

everytime GWB went to his ranch in texas it was a "vacation" to the lame stream media even when he hosted heads of state....meanwhile obozo was out there this weekend shooting another round of golf...no big deal...

then again thanks for helping prove the point....how much media overkill was spent on the one you posted compared to these??

"This is a big ****ing deal!" --Joe Biden, caught on an open mic congratulating President Barack Obama during the health care signing ceremony, Washington, D.C., March 23, 2010

"His mom lived in Long Island for ten years or so. God rest her soul. And- although, she's- wait- your mom's still- your mom's still alive. Your dad passed. God bless her soul." --Joe Biden, on the mother of Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen, who is very much alive, Washington, D.C., March 17, 2010

"I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. … When one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway." --Joe Biden, providing handy tips to protect against the swine flu and freaking us out, "Today Show" interview, April 30, 2009

"An hour late, oh give me a f**king break." –Joe Biden, caught on a live mic speaking to a former Senate colleague after arriving on Amtrak at Union Station in Washington, D.C., March 13, 2009 (Watch video clip)

"You know, I'm embarrassed. Do you know the Web site number? I should have it in front of me and I don't. I'm actually embarrassed." –Joe Biden, speaking to an aide standing out of view during an interview on CBS' "Early Show," in the midst of encouraging viewers to visit a government-run Web site that tracks stimulus spending, Feb. 25, 2009

"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong." --Joe Biden, speaking to members of the House Democratic caucus who were gathered in Williamsburg, Va., for their annual retreat, Feb. 6, 2009

"Am I doing this again? For the senior staff? My memory is not as good as Chief Justice Roberts'." --Joe Biden, mocking Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts' botched effort to swear in Barack Obama as Biden was set to swear in White House senior staff one day after the Inauguration snafu, Washington, D.C., Jan. 21, 2009

"Jill and I had the great honor of standing on that stage, looking across at one of the great justices, Justice Stewart." –Joe Biden, mistakenly referring to Justice John Paul Stevens, who swore him in as vice president, Washington, D.C., Jan. 20, 2009 (Watch video clip)

"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs." --Joe Biden, Athens, Ohio, Oct. 15, 2008 (Source)

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened." –Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were in use at that time, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008 (Watch video clip)

"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya." –-Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, Missouri, Sept. 12, 2008 (Watch video clip)

"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me." --Joe Biden, speaking at a town hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire, Sept. 10, 2008 (Source)

"A man I'm proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States — Barack America!" --Joe Biden, at his first campaign rally with Barack Obama after being announced as his running mate, Springfield, Ill., Aug. 23, 2008 (Watch video clip)

"A successful dump!" --Joe Biden, explaining his whereabouts (dropping deadwood at the dump) to the reporters outside his home, Wilmington, Del., Aug. 20, 2008

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." –Joe Biden, referring to Barack Obama at the beginning of the 2008 Democratic primary campaign, Jan. 31, 2007 (Source)

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006 (Watch video clip)
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/j.../bidenisms.htm