Another Jets draft

Just passing the time...my idea of a nice draft for the Jets:

1 Corey Liuget, DL, Illinois
    3 Sam Acho, DE-OLB, Texas
    4 Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State
    5 Charles Clay, FB-TE, Tulsa
    6 Chris Neild, DT, West Virginia
    7 Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley State

- I'm not too hot at predicting what rounds guys will go in, so some may be too low and some too high. But a list of guys I like to fill needs for the Jets.

I would not complain here. I don't think Corey is that good but if we take a front 3 guy he is the one I'd take. Realisticly anyway.

All Pro
    Trade down version - maybe one of our draft value experts can let me know if I have the value of the #30 pick about right or am I way off?

Jets trade their first round pick for a mid-2nd rounder, mid 3rd-rounder and a 5th rounder.

2 - Sam Acho, DE-OLB, Texas
    3a - Edmond Gates, WR, Abeline Christian
    3b - Lawrence Guy, DL, Arizona State
    4 - Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State
    5a - Charles Clay, FB-TE, Tulsa
    5b - Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama
    6 - Chris Neild, DT, West Virginia
    7 - Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Trade down version - maybe one of our draft value experts can let me know if I have the value of the #30 pick about right or am I way off?

Jets trade their first round pick for a mid-2nd rounder, mid 3rd-rounder and a 5th rounder.

2 - Sam Acho, DE-OLB, Texas
    3a - Edmond Gates, WR, Abeline Christian
    3b - Lawrence Guy, DL, Arizona State
    4 - Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State
    5a - Charles Clay, FB-TE, Tulsa
    5b - Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama
    6 - Chris Neild, DT, West Virginia
    7 - Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming
    Certainly not a draft expert, and the biggest trade down guy ever. I see the value of the trade as only a fourth round pick, so I feel you looted and pillaged on that trade getting a mid third and a mid fifth. I like the original version, primarily because I like Corey Liuget, give you a very solid DE, with a little Pass Rush, take this guy in a heart beat.
    Acho a little bit of a reach in the second, great value in the third. Clay is a fascinating pick, the question I have can Schotty use him effectively, the guy has a nice skill set. Not really in favor of Gates in the third, but LOVE Lockett in the seventh. Nield is a biq qustion, not NFL ready , developmental player, I think you have to project out three years, but thats what happened with Pouha..

The value is there in the trade down scenario (if you are using the trade value chart.)

I like the positions you have covered though somewhere in there I want to see a true olb pass rusher. Is Acho projected to be that type of player? I'll have to read up on him as a player.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Certainly not a draft expert, and the biggest trade down guy ever. I see the value of the trade as only a fourth round pick, so I feel you looted and pillaged on that trade getting a mid third and a mid fifth. I like the original version, primarily because I like Corey Liuget, give you a very solid DE, with a little Pass Rush, take this guy in a heart beat.
    Acho a little bit of a reach in the second, great value in the third. Clay is a fascinating pick, the question I have can Schotty use him effectively, the guy has a nice skill set. Not really in favor of Gates in the third, but LOVE Lockett in the seventh. Nield is a biq qustion, not NFL ready , developmental player, I think you have to project out three years, but thats what happened with Pouha..
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I prefer the first version too, but thought I had maybe been a bit optimistic with Liuget falling to #30 and Acho into the late 3rd round. I really like both guys.

Clay, I think the Jets could be very interested in. He has great versatility to play FB and also a TE/H-Back role. The Jets seem to place a high degree of value on that type of versatility, and they apparently showed a lot of interest at the combine. Could be a great pickup, if Schotty can find a way to use his skills effectively. Yeah...big "if".

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The value is there in the trade down scenario (if you are using the trade value chart.)

I like the positions you have covered though somewhere in there I want to see a true olb pass rusher. Is Acho projected to be that type of player? I'll have to read up on him as a player.
    02/25/2011 - 10 KEY NFL COMBINE BATTLES: Second-tier 3-4 outside linebacker: Sam Acho (Texas) vs. Jeremy Beal (Oklahoma) vs. Brooks Reed (Arizona) vs. Jabaal Sheard (Pittsburgh)...Teams using 3-4 schemes looking for pass rush help in the late first or second round may be evaluating these four college defensive ends. Acho's strength and character will endear him to some teams, and an excellent combine could really push him up boards. Reed's pass-rush moves, long hair, and hustle will remind scouts of Green Bay star OLB Clay Matthews III, but he'll need to show his athleticism before making the comparison truly valid. After an unimpressive Senior Bowl week, Beal really needs a big combine to have any chance at being a second-round pick. Sheard had a shoulder injury that prevented him from participating in Pitt's bowl game, as well as the Senior Bowl, but teams hope he'll be able to perform linebacker drills to see his fluidity in space. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1245216

All Pro

Thanks for the feedback. Acho is a guy I like a lot. He isn't quite the level of athlete of an Orakpo or Kindle, but he's pretty close. Performed very well at the combine, both on the field and in interviews.

Became a starter at DE his junior year, and produced 10 sacks, 14 TFL and 15 pressures. Followed this up with 9 sacks, 17 TFL and 18 pressures his senior year.

Doesn't have the rep of his former team-mates, or of some of this year's top pass-rushers, but the production is certainly there. Good strength, pretty good speed, and is an intelligent, high-effort, team-first kinda guy.

You are correct the trade works fine, but you need to slide down to approximatly the 50th pick in the second round, which isn't a bad spot for Acho. Just feel that value drops off around 40, I think the Jets can get a good player at forty, very uncomfortable going any lower, but I'm still a big trade down guy. I'm looking at Dallas at 40 ( looking for an OT before Pittsbugh snatches one) or Buffalo , Cleveland looking for Locker

Personally, I don't see the hype with Liuget.