Thread: Will this be the year of the converted Corner?

Will this be the year of the converted Corner?

Just going through this list of Safeties it's not overly impressive. To go along with that not too many of the top prospects seemed to have overly impressed anyone at the combine in drills or 40. On the flip side there seems to be an abundance of oversized yet talented and fast Cornerbacks. Guys who seem big enough and definitely fast enough to cover TEs. Given the new somewhat pass first style of the NFL with 3-4 WR sets and TE/WR hybrids, is it more of a premium to find cover safeties who can run with slot WRs/TEs? I just don't see the importance of the big, in-the-box hard-hitting safety anymore...unfortunately as those players are usually my favorite to root for. Are you better off, vs most teams, having, basically, 4 CBs on the field? There's of course a lot of gray area in the semantics of the position but hopefully you understand where I'm coming from in terms of looking at prospects.

Curious how some feel about CB Richard Sherman from Stanford..Converted WR to CB this season..Seems to have some major upside..Maybe a 5th-6th rounder?

I have Sherman going in the 2nd/3rd to a zone team like the Eagles. I do think there are several good Safety convert project however. Marcus Gilchrist Clemson, Ras-I dowling Virginia, Chris culliver South carolina, Curtis Marsh utah st just to name a few.

Sherman should be able to stay at CB...he's got some Rashean Mathis in his game.

I somewhat like Dowling...I'd like to snatch up Williams from UNC to play FS in the 3-5 range.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 03-18-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Curious how some feel about CB Richard Sherman from Stanford..Converted WR to CB this season..Seems to have some major upside..Maybe a 5th-6th rounder?
    that's likely where Sherman ends up....i don't know if they move him from CB- terrific size and a lot of upside yet really needs to work on his DB mechanics...awful pedal in reverse...reminds me of marcus coleman in style, though he did go to Stanford...

i hoped or thought he would progress more than he did between '09 and '10 but still an intrguing guy...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Sherman should be able to stay at CB...he's got some Rashean Mathis in his game.

I somewhat like Dowling...I'd like to snatch up Williams from UNC to play FS in the 3-5 range.
    i'll take Searcy from UNC- though the Jets have shown no interest in him...Williams is a medical risk....

Dowling could be intriguing if he's still available after the third round...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    that's likely where Sherman ends up....i don't know if they move him from CB- terrific size and a lot of upside yet really needs to work on his DB mechanics...awful pedal in reverse...reminds me of marcus coleman in style, though he did go to Stanford...

i hoped or thought he would progress more than he did between '09 and '10 but still an intrguing guy...
    Thanks for the overview..Seems like a good developmental prospect for Thurman to work with.

jaron johnson ss boise state looks good to me.paired with lowery.could blossom.