Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chargers Kevin Burnett rips Goodell

Chargers Kevin Burnett rips Goodell

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6229285"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6229285[/URL]

Kevin Burnett rips Roger Goodell

San Diego Chargers linebacker Kevin Burnett delivered a verbal hit to Roger Goodell earlier this week, calling the commissioner a "blatant liar" in an interview with a San Diego radio station.

[B]Goodell's full of it. He's a liar. You're a blatant liar. 'It's our league, it's we, we love the players, we want the league,' but what have you done for the players? What have you done, in all honesty, to improve the game, besides fine guys, besides take money away from guys, besides change a game that you've never played? ... He's done nothing to improve the game.[/B]

-- Kevin Burnett
    Appearing on XX Sports Radio in San Diego, Burnett ripped Goodell when asked to respond to the commissioner's e-mail to NFL season-ticket holders after the NFL Players Association filed to decertify as a union and the NFL owners locked out the players. In the e-mail Goodell outlined the NFL's final offer that was rejected, saying "it was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players".

"Goodell's full of it. He's a liar. You're a blatant liar. 'It's our league, it's we, we love the players, we want the league,' but what have you done for the players? What have you done, in all honesty, to improve the game, besides fine guys, besides take money away from guys, besides change a game that you've never played? ... He's done nothing to improve the game," Burnett said.

The 28-year-old Burnett, who has six years of NFL experience, also blasted Goodell for the NFL's substance-abuse program.

"If a guy has a drug problem, give him an alternative, don't just say, 'Hey, stop doing drugs. Stamp. Six games.' ... You put them in a drug program," he said. "OK, anybody can stick somebody in a nuthouse, but what else are you doing? What programs are you putting in place?"

He also said that the NFL needs to take care of players outside of football if it wants to punish players for things they do off the field.

"Because they suspend players outside of playing football. Is that their responsibility? No. They want us to be upstanding citizens, but if you want us to be upstanding citizens, you have to understand your role as well," he said. "In my contract, it says nothing about me being an upstanding citizen. ... That's what bothers me."

The Ben & Skin Show

Former Cowboy and current San Diego Chargers LB Kevin Burnett talks to 103.3 FM ESPN about his explosive comments he made in regards to Roger Goodell and the NFL lockout.

More Podcasts
    Burnett said Goodell doesn't measure up to former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who Burnett said was willing to sit down with the players and reach a compromise. He said Goodell essentially represents the owners' interests, not the players'.

He said that players are criticized for holding out but in this case, it's the owners who are doing the same to the players.

"Owners talk about players that hold out of camp and we talk about players who walk out of camp ... well, the owners signed this deal. They signed this deal. Yeah, it was an opt-out, but they signed this deal and now they want money back. Now they're the player that's holding out."

The NFL declined comment when asked by ESPN to respond to Burnett's remarks.

1) I don't like Goodell at all.
    2) This Burnett guy is a jackass and perpetuates the idea that players are dumbasses.

Burnett is a jackass but I like that this Jackass told Goodell to basically shove it 'cause he's a jackass, too.

Banned
    Bravo, Kevin Burnett.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3982903]Bravo, Kevin Burnett.[/QUOTE]

Yeah let him have it through both barrels

One point that he actually made a semi great point on was the drug suspension. Just go read it.

These comments just fall in line with their two leaders Smith and Mawae. If anyone listened to Smith on with Francessa yesterday or Mawae on NFL radio you know where all the rhetoric is coming from.

Mawae and I quote, "this is not about the money for the players, it's about respect. Who do the owners think made them their billions?, we did, we made them their money and we want respect".

It's comments like this that lead me to think that no football will be played this year. I have seen this attitude many times in the business world, where your employees feel they are the reason for your success. You would be nothing without me attitude is not good for anyone.

The fact is that both sides need each other. No business is worth more than their employees, but employees can be replaced.

This whole thing is a joke and it makes me sick. I never thought I could be as done and out on the NFL as I am right now. At this point I am seriously considering dropping the NFL package. I dont need the package to view JET games, I get the package so I'm not stuck watching the Giants.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3982903]Bravo, Kevin Burnett.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][B]"They want us to be upstanding citizens, but if you want us to be upstanding citizens, you have to understand your role as well," he said. "In my contract, it says nothing about me being an upstanding citizen. ... That's what bothers me.[/B]"[/QUOTE]

I see some of Burnett's points, but, to imply that he shouldn't have to be an upstanding citizen because it doesn't say he has to be in his contract has [B]"Yes, I am a total a$sclown"[/B] written all over it.

We can only hope that most NFL players don't share that sentiment.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.

I may be wrong on this, but I think the NFLPA had to approve of what the NFL wanted to institute regarding suspensions, code of conduct etc....

So if that is true, maybe this Burnett clown should be ripping his union reps and leaders...

[QUOTE=C Mart;3982962]I may be wrong on this, but I think the NFLPA had to approve of what the NFL wanted to institute regarding suspensions, code of conduct etc....

So if that is true, maybe this Burnett clown should be ripping his union reps and leaders...[/QUOTE]

Your right, the union did apporve of all policies in place.

[QUOTE=NYJ37/12;3982974]Your right, the union did apporve of all policies in place.[/QUOTE]

Thanks..Funny how that is never mentioned in articles like that...

[QUOTE=NYJ37/12;3982957]
    Mawae and I quote, "this is not about the money for the players, it's about respect. Who do the owners think made them their billions?, we did, we made them their money and we want respect".
    [/QUOTE]
    It's the whole "entitlement" mentality of unions.
    Historically unions have ruined every industry it's impacted (railroad, automobile, baseball, etc....). I just hope the NFLPA doesn't do the same to football.

"He said Goodell essentially represents the owners' interests, not the players'."

Um.... Yeah.

[QUOTE=RichardTodd27;3983085]It's the whole "entitlement" mentality of unions.
    Historically unions have ruined every industry it's impacted (railroad, automobile, baseball, etc....). I just hope the NFLPA doesn't do the same to football.[/QUOTE]

Your right, entitlement is the correct word. We had our employees about 10 years ago say they were going to form a union, our response was, go ahead but the doors will be locked once you get to work. Sound familiar?

[QUOTE=Postseason;3983098]"He said Goodell essentially represents the owners' interests, not the players'."

Um.... Yeah.[/QUOTE]

The players will always come out of these things looking bad. They are influenced by their egos and ego has no place in business.

D. Smith is trying to be their savior when in essence he is severely hurting them. All the players complained about Gene Upshaw and how he always sided with the Tagliabue, but he kept labor peace and made them all very wealthy. This Smith guy is a joke and I said it three years ago. This pied piper is leading them straight into poverty.

1. Completely agree that Burnett complaining about having to be an upstanding citizen is asinine. Hey, if one has a job - especially a job that is very lucrative and public - then generally they do get fired if they are not an upstanding citizen. (Unless, of course, you belong to an extremely strong union, like the teachers union - then you just get sent to a rubber room/not fired, while stealing taxpayers money for doing absolutely nothing except hurting the youth of America, thus America as a whole, but I digress).

2. Burnett is 100% correct that Goodell represents the owners' interests, and not the players.

[QUOTE=JeffWeaverFan;3983122]2. Burnett is 100% correct that Goodell represents the owners' interests, and not the players.[/QUOTE]

The point isn't that he isn't correct. It's that Goodell's job is to represent the owners, not the players. It sounds like Burnett doesn't understand that, and if he doesn't even understand that, then he isn't the best person to be talking about these issues publicly.

[QUOTE=NYJ37/12;3983111]The players will always come out of these things looking bad. They are influenced by their egos and ego has no place in business.

D. Smith is trying to be their savior when in essence he is severely hurting them. All the players complained about Gene Upshaw and how he always sided with the Tagliabue, but he kept labor peace and made them all very wealthy. This Smith guy is a joke and I said it three years ago. This pied piper is leading them straight into poverty.[/QUOTE]

THe players hired Smith to make them more money. Never during Upshaw's reign did the owners actually go back and demand the players take massive paycuts. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

THe last contract that Upshaw signed was great for the players, the contract that the owners want the players to take is a huge paycut. I don't know why you think the players would hire someone to roll over and take a 18% paycut.

Hall Of Fame
    self appointed spokesmen are always dangerous.

Burnett is another ill educated buffon who is not able to express himself without ranting. Basically a street thug and punk.
    As far as drugs? Use them and you're going to get suspended. Same with carrying an unlicensed gun, raping women and killing people while driving drunk. You don't have to be a boy scout, but criminal behavior has to be eliminated.