Thread: Jets checking out Stanford's Fua

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets checking out Stanford's Fua

Nose tackle Sione Fua rested on all of the numbers he produced at the combine save the broad jump and vertical jump. His broad jump improved from 8 feet 5 inches to 8-7 while his vertical went from 24 inches to 28 inches. That's not bad, especially considering his weight went from 308 pounds in late February to 311 pounds today.

Fua has one private workout set up thus far -- with the Jets.

Sources:
    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...s-rathman.html
    http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-f...031711aaa.html

Not a bad player at all. Any guesses what round? I'd say 3-5 for us but I could see a 3-4 team grabbing him in the 2nd like the Bills did with Troupp.

A couple sleepers on that Stanford team in Baldwin and Sherman. Beeler the C might kick the tires around the league for a few years too...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    See my last mock.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really big fan of Fua. Makes me wish we still had our 2nd round pick.

I doubt he makes it out of the Top 65. Personally, I'd rather go with Powe/Fua in the 3rd round long before taking Phil Taylor in the 1st.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I doubt he makes it out of the Top 65. Personally, I'd rather go with Powe/Fua in the 3rd round long before taking Phil Taylor in the 1st.
    I'd go for that man, pick up a passrusher in the first than Powe/Fua in the 3rd

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Powe looks to be a better 3-4 NT than Taylor. Powe in the third and Heyward or a passrusher in the first would be a fine draft. However, I doubt Heyward is still around when we pick in the first round and I doubt Powe is there in the late third.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Powe looks to be a better 3-4 NT than Taylor. Powe in the third and Heyward or a passrusher in the first would be a fine draft. However, I doubt Heyward is still around when we pick in the first round and I doubt Powe is there in the late third.
    Hence why I still do not believe both Holmes and Harris will be on this team IF the CBA is worked out before the draft....their collective RFA status' could bring back some much needed picks for starting/depth issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Try to trade down into early 2nd, get an additional pick, take Ballard in the 2nd, use the acquired pick to trade up and grab Powe (or Kenrick Ellis) in the 3rd...

Still left with your 4th, 5th picks....Find a developmental OLB that can rush the QB in the 4th...CB that can play man to man in the 5th
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-19-2011 at 10:28 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Hence why I still do not believe both Holmes and Harris will be on this team IF the CBA is worked out before the draft....their collective RFA status' could bring back some much needed picks for starting/depth issues.
    We won't get the picks till next year though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol fua means my father's sister's husband in my parent's language...(or my aunt's husband on my dads side in American) .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    We won't get the picks till next year though.
    You're confusing RFA picks with compensatory picks. RFA picks we'd get this year.
    Last edited by TheMo; 03-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    In that scenario its definitely smarter to sign braylon, and let holmes go in return for a pick, and yes an RFA pick would be for this draft (prob 2nd rounder and 4-5th rd for holmes). The problem is there players and owners are not even close (these letters they are writing are ridiculous) and I would put it at 5% that they can get an agreement in time to have any trades etc before the draft.

I wonder if the draft is able to be postponed, even a week to allow for player movement beforehand.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    In that scenario its definitely smarter to sign braylon, and let holmes go in return for a pick, and yes an RFA pick would be for this draft (prob 2nd rounder and 4-5th rd for holmes). The problem is there players and owners are not even close (these letters they are writing are ridiculous) and I would put it at 5% that they can get an agreement in time to have any trades etc before the draft.

I wonder if the draft is able to be postponed, even a week to allow for player movement beforehand.
    Agree...

Because Tannenbaum's philosophy has ALWAYS been to fill the obvious holes before the draft, enabling him to truly go for best available. This time around we definitely have to pay more attention to needs than best available.